Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Rudy's SC300 Weekend Warrior

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-21, 07:04 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts

Very nice! Taco camp-mobile! I love the tent accessory! Forgive my ignorance but is it intended to be set up ON that platform on the truck or is it meant to slide off and set up on the ground? t looks great in white and I love the TRD wheels!

You're making me want to buy the rest of the parts I still need to install a classic style Yakima roof rack system on my SC and finally get one of their aerodynamic boxes for all my camping gear to go into! I've taken my SC on a couple of camping trips before but it definitely cannot go where your Tacoma will
Old 10-12-21, 08:46 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

Thanks Craig!! My father bought this truck new in '03 and it's been with us ever since. I've owned it for about 7 years now and it does EVERYTHING I need it to do. The camper/tent is quite cool. It stays up there on the rack and once the cover is removed it unfolds into quite the little cozy area. I'll open it up one day to take a photo, but this should give you a good idea! It's super nice because it's tough and gets you up off the ground. It's also incredibly easy to set up and tear down compared to a normal tent.

haha I love the idea of camping with the SC! I will warn you, I installed a Yakima rack on my SC4 several years back and I just didn't care for it one bit. Having to mount two door mounts to a single door caused the door to not close completely and the wind noise was terrible. If they make something that you could run a single mount on each door frame and then perhaps something on the back window from a company like Sea Sucker I'd highly recommend something like that! Either way, I'd love to see that thing with a rocket box on top.
The following users liked this post:
KahnBB6 (10-12-21)
Old 10-12-21, 06:58 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts

Rudy, I LOVE the camper tent fully opened on the Tacoma! And that's wonderful that it has ben in your family since new! That thing will continue to serve on many, many adventures!

Thank you for the heads up on fitment for the Yakima rack system for SC's. I only have some of the parts so far-- the most critical ones that allow for a rear extension to be mounted (which I think is now discontinued) and the Q-clips that fit SC's. I still have to buy the rest of the standard hardware to complete it.

However the way those clips mount also bothered me in the few pictures that I've been able to find on the forums and online. I don't know of any other quality rack system that has been made for the SC300/400/Soarer other than Yakima's.

These reference pictures are not mine, FYI:

perfctreig (10-13-21)
Old 10-13-21, 06:36 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Thanks as always Craig. I adore that truck and you don't see too many vehicles stay in families for that kind of time these days!

As for the rack - that does look a lot like what I had on my car... Perhaps a little more time and could can get things to seal and hone it in a little better than I did... It's sure it nice to increase the usable space of those cars, but they're so damn comfortable that anytime something messes with that it's a bummer for me. Let me know what you end up doing!
KahnBB6 (10-13-21)
Old 10-13-21, 03:41 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Nice setup on the Taco, I had an '01 double cab for a few years that I manual swapped but ended up selling it last year before the move.
I have my RTT on the GX right now from the move back, too heavy to deal with taking it down and too tall to fit into a regular height garage where I can just lift it up.
So I have been planning to get a clean 05 or 06 double cab tundra and a bed rack setup similar to yours, hopefully I'll have some time to find one soon.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ali SC3:
KahnBB6 (10-14-21), RudysSC (10-14-21)
Old 10-13-21, 08:28 PM
perfctreig
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Always loved the Tacoma and wished I could fit in one. (I'm 6'4" with 38" legs, so need a full-size truck.).

I do love the idea of bikes on the SC. Where to you stash the front wheels?
The following 2 users liked this post by perfctreig:
KahnBB6 (10-14-21), RudysSC (10-14-21)
Old 10-14-21, 08:42 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Thanks you two! I love this trusty little taco, and thankfully I'm a little under 6' so I fit in it ok. However, I've got a few buddies that are quite large and I feel awful every time I pick them up in this thing lol. I'm bummed it's already cold up in the mountains, I can't wait to give this thing a test run!

I used to put my BMX on my SC4 and could keep the front wheel in the trunk... However, a full size MB wheel/tire would probably have to go in the back seat.
KahnBB6 (10-14-21)
Old 10-18-21, 07:41 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Drove the SC this weekend and had time to pop open the new rooftop tent on the Taco. My buddy did me a huge solid, this thing is in awesome shape and I absolutely can't wait to use it come spring time. I'm a sissy - no winter camping for me lol.

Hope y'all had a terrific weekend!
The following 2 users liked this post by RudysSC:
Ali SC3 (10-18-21), KahnBB6 (10-19-21)
Old 10-18-21, 11:51 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Received 327 Likes on 253 Posts

Rudy, love your camper, in my eight years as a Scout Master I never had that kind of luxury. It was always sleeping on the ground in a tent and in the winter if it was around freezing we would forego the tents sometimes. The kids loved that, sleeping out in the open without worrying about snakes crawling in their sleeping bags with them.
Hope you have many many years of great camping.
silentkill (10-18-21)
Old 10-18-21, 12:13 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Bill - your comments are always much appreciated! I've always camped on the ground myself, so this is a big step up in the "glamping" department for sure lol. My wife will be very pleased as there's enough room for both of us and the dog. It's also got a 4" memory foam mattress, ha, can you believe that? My buddy sold me the tent used and the rack he made for a $1G.... When you start looking at this stuff new you'll just choke - it gets out of hand quick.
Old 10-18-21, 12:33 PM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Received 327 Likes on 253 Posts

Hey Rudy, you mentioned the 4" memory foam mattress and I can still remember buying a foam pad for my sleeping bag which I slept on for those eight years. Those were the days.
Old 10-18-21, 01:22 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Man, how the times change, eh? These days I'm going to be awfully spoiled after sleeping in the rooftop set up, ha!
Old 11-01-21, 09:19 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Got this thing up in the air yesterday - fresh Schaeffer's oil change and Motul LS gear oil for the KAAZ LSD in the back. Gave it a good old "nut and bolt check" before heading down to Pueblo Motorsports Park this Friday with my work to give it a beat down at their "road course". I've never bothered to make the drive down there as it's twice as far as High Plains Raceway and can't quite hold a candle to their track... However, it's a day off work and a chance to go have fun in this thing so I'll be sure to try and get a few photos.

It's been running wonderfully after the harness repair with the correct manual GTE VVTI ecu installed. I just love this damn car.
The following 5 users liked this post by RudysSC:
Ali SC3 (11-01-21), KahnBB6 (11-01-21), perfctreig (11-02-21), scsexy (11-01-21), ShaWTiMe (11-08-21)
Old 11-01-21, 10:27 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Received 225 Likes on 148 Posts

huh thought we had to run KAAZ specific oil.

I'm not ready to store mine! but todays probably the last day im driving it. The tremec MTF fluid is way too thick for 30 degree days.
Old 11-01-21, 10:52 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Kaaz does recommend doing so... And I've done several flushes with their stuff so far. However, after looking online a few different times I've come across guys running all kinds of **** in them lol. As far as I can understand it the Motul LS fluid is designed for clutch type LSD's and should perform fine. I've got to order the KAAZ in but can get Motul delivered to work within an hour so it makes life easy lol. I'll let you know how it goes after driving it this week/weekend. If my diff fails I'll know why LOL.
The following 2 users liked this post by RudysSC:
KahnBB6 (11-01-21), silentkill (11-01-21)

Quick Reply: Rudy's SC300 Weekend Warrior