Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Rudy's SC300 Weekend Warrior

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-22, 01:43 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,207 Likes on 836 Posts

Haha that's what I like to hear! Thank you Bill - back atcha sir. Be safe out there!
Old 06-24-22, 05:17 PM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by RudysSC
I had an interesting thing happen to me in the SC the other day... My crew from work and I all went up to Bandimere to watch the speed week guys (which was awesome, by the way). On the way home a WRX decided he wanted to get a good view of the back side of my SC LOL. However, I got a little carried away on a wide open highway and while pushing it in 5th gear I hit the "Japanese speed limiter" on my JDM Supra manual ecu. It's the first time I've taken the car that fast (even the long straight at the HPR road course I can't hit over 100mph I don't think). Traffic is so bad in Denver anymore that you REALLY have to get out of town to do 100+ safely. Right about 125/130 on the speedo the car hit a "soft cut". In fact it was such a strange feeling I thought for sure I had blown an intercooler coupler or something of the like. Slowed down, dropped a few gears, got in the gas again and it pulled like a banshee. So, there it is, finally hit the factory speed cut haha. My initial reaction was "oh no, this won't do" lol. However, in such a busy city the last think I need to be doing is making 120+ mph pulls for no reason. I'll carry on as it is but it was a funny and interesting experience I thought I'd share.

PS - I've had a few of these cars and their mannerisms at 100+ always amaze me. They're so aerodynamic and so planted on nice coilovers and wide tires that I didn't realize I was going anywhere near that quick.
Hit me up we can fix that =)
Old 06-25-22, 03:22 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Lol, yeah when it kicks in around 110mph on the JDM ecu it can really catch you by surprise the first time, basically like hitting boost cut.
On the usdm ecus I want to say it is closer to 150mph
Old 06-27-22, 01:53 AM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 508 Likes on 301 Posts

Wow Rudy, all I can say is stay Safe! I don't think I've ever hit 100
I've done long hours at 90/95, but something about the 100 mark?
Old 06-27-22, 08:54 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

LOL Ryan! I know... With buying the biz this year mods have really been put on the back burner. Hoping to go standalone and small single in the next couple years... Ali - it did catch me by surprise! Denver's so busy I never get a chance to let her sing like that. I was pretty gung-ho about getting a delete box and then I realized I've had the car swapped for a couple years now and it wouldn't be worth it really.

Barbary - you got it! I hardly get the chance to hit those speeds but every once in a while on a nice open road it sure is a great feeling. You'd be surprised how composed these cars feel at triple digit speeds.
Old 07-14-22, 12:11 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

My little brother stopped by the shop in his little street demon. He's been cleaning it up, threw the wheels and tires on, caught up on maintenance, etc. Our ENTIRE family now drives Toyotas lol. However - still working on my wife. We've got her on a few wait lists for GR Corollas to replace her Cooper S

The following 4 users liked this post by RudysSC:
Ali SC3 (08-18-22), Bimmerbill (07-14-22), KahnBB6 (07-14-22), Turbostar (08-19-22)
Old 07-14-22, 10:04 PM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,251 Likes on 871 Posts

Great family picture, Rudy! Two great looking Toyotas!

Your bother's original generation Tacoma is clean! What kind of running gear does he have in it now?

I'm wishing you luck with the GR Corolla for your wife! I know the waiting lists are extensive for them already and many dealers are of course going to play games with their allocations on top of their markups :/
Old 07-15-22, 09:45 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Hey Craig! Thank you sir - we've got quite the little collection building up these days haha. She's a little beauty, isn't she? It's the 4-cylinder (I forget the engine code) with an auto. Just a little around town cruiser that he daily's.

Thank you!! We've got two reservations currently... One in Omaha NE with a $500 deposit - they think they'll get us one but with a guaranteed 5k markup (ouch). We also found a dealer in South Dakota that's willing to reserve one and the dealer states they do not charge markups above MSRP. So we've got deposits in at both dealerships and we'll see if we can land one or not! We typically do not even entertain the idea of new cars... However, my wife wants to upgrade and wants something cool with AWD. The GR was a huge hit to her when the photos finally dropped. We also figured they'll be relatively collectible and as long as she doesn't take too poor of care of it we can always get a good chunk if not all of our money back out of it.

I'll be sure to update later this year if we get any news
The following users liked this post:
KahnBB6 (07-15-22)
Old 07-15-22, 07:33 PM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Is it the 2RZ-FE engine in that Tacoma? I think they started those trucks from 1995 onward.

I think you're doing the best thing by putting down two reservations! Hopefully the dealer that says they won't charge markup will be the one that gets it for you both! (fingers crossed!).
Old 07-18-22, 08:47 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

I think you may be right but I'd have to do a little poking around to be sure. He doesn't have any big plans for it - just a daily/around town little cruiser!

We shall see - I'm keeping my fingers crossed too!
KahnBB6 (07-19-22)
Old 08-12-22, 02:15 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Just a few recent photos of this old girl. Nothing new - just driving and enjoying it as is for as long as I can! I always have dreams of a big turbo, fuel system, standalone, strong trans, etc... However, those things add up in a hurry and quite simply I just don't have the money to do any of it haha. It's well worth the sacrifice with the new business, doing some work to the house, etc etc. In the meantime - this car just absolutely rules. I take it to work almost every day in the spring/summer/fall, go on canyon cruises with friends, rip donuts, and I'm loving every minute of it as it sits. It'll be due for some fluids and plugs over the winter time and since I'm not doing any track days this year that's about all it should need. The no track days goes along with the no upgrades this year I'm afraid. Without knowing I have the money to fix a big break I'm just choosing not to risk it. Hopefully as time goes on and I pay down my SBA loan / make more money those things will come back into the picture! Life's good here - hope the same is true for you all!

Happy cruising all!!!!

The following 4 users liked this post by RudysSC:
Ali SC3 (08-18-22), Bimmerbill (08-12-22), joewitafro (08-13-22), KahnBB6 (08-14-22)
Old 08-12-22, 03:26 PM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Received 327 Likes on 253 Posts

I am very proud for you and yours. Keep up the good work.
Bill
RudysSC (08-15-22)
Old 08-13-22, 09:57 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 508 Likes on 301 Posts

Rudy, sounds like you have your priorities well squared away...Good for you!
Nice shots of a very nice SC
RudysSC (08-15-22)
Old 08-14-22, 04:37 AM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

It's definitely worth your sacrifices to build your future Rudy! I'm in a similar boat myself! Still, it's a reliable cruise missile that you can drive to work nearly every day and enjoy

Also I always love seeing a cameo from your 1UZ Cressida as well!
The following 2 users liked this post by KahnBB6:
Barbary (08-14-22), RudysSC (08-15-22)
Old 08-15-22, 09:42 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

I sure appreciate your guys' kind comments! Life changes quickly but things are good on this front and I certainly can't complain. I wish you guys the best as always!!
The following 2 users liked this post by RudysSC:
joewitafro (08-17-22), KahnBB6 (08-15-22)

Quick Reply: Rudy's SC300 Weekend Warrior