Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Rudy's SC300 Weekend Warrior

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-22, 04:50 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Received 327 Likes on 253 Posts

Rudy,
Just checked on line with a local Pull A Part. They have a "94 Cressida on their lot since September 30th. Of course I have no Idea of condition. If you are interested let me know what parts that you need. In my condition I can not walk that far on heavy gravel. I will talk to a friend and see if I can get him to go down there and appraise the car while I wait in my car.
Old 10-29-22, 02:34 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts

Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
Rudy,
Just checked on line with a local Pull A Part. They have a "94 Cressida on their lot since September 30th. Of course I have no Idea of condition. If you are interested let me know what parts that you need. In my condition I can not walk that far on heavy gravel. I will talk to a friend and see if I can get him to go down there and appraise the car while I wait in my car.
Bill... hope things are going okay with you.

That model may not be what will fit Rudy's needs.

1992 was actually the last model year for the USDM Cressida (MX83 chassis). That series was made from 1989-1992. The 3rd generation MX73 was made from 1985-1988. The 2nd (MX63 and the one that Rudy has I believe) from 1981-1984.

Rudy, I'm sorry it's been so difficult finding the most basic parts for that car. I hope you'll have some more luck with it soon.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-29-22 at 02:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bimmerbill (10-29-22)
Old 10-29-22, 03:55 PM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Thanks Craig. Hope it is going great for you. Enjoyed the Supra air box installation, matter fact everything you do. I also enjoy your perfection on everything you do. Keep up the great work.
Bill
KahnBB6 (10-29-22)
Old 10-29-22, 05:47 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
Thanks Craig. Hope it is going great for you. Enjoyed the Supra air box installation, matter fact everything you do. I also enjoy your perfection on everything you do. Keep up the great work.
Bill
Same to you Bill! You're too kind! I'm glad you enjoyed the DIY. I always hope to inspire others with those build posts as they work on their own cars with unique goals. Keep healing well and getting stronger and stay curious!

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-29-22 at 05:54 PM.
Bimmerbill (10-29-22)
Old 10-31-22, 08:55 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

Hey Bill thank you for thinking of me sir! Unfortunately Craig is right - my car is pretty specific from 81-84 and even something 85 and newer won't work for a lot of the parts... It's unfortunate and frustrating for sure. It's such a fun/cool little car but the lack of parts availability is beginning to try my patience lol. We shall see - I'm going to sit and stare at it for a few weeks and decide what I want to do with it from there.

Hope you guys are well - I always enjoy BS'ing with you guys!
The following 2 users liked this post by RudysSC:
Bimmerbill (10-31-22), KahnBB6 (10-31-22)
Old 10-31-22, 11:26 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Hey Rudy,
Ok I tried. Now I know what years to look for. We have two pull a part yards here in Mobile and I will try and keep up with them since they are both on line. I hate to tell you but one of my old Navy Reserve buddies had an early one which had been sitting up for a couple of years. He wanted to make his garden bigger and gave the car to two Coast Guard guys that wanted to "fix it up". Good Luck to you.
Bill
Old 10-31-22, 11:53 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Bill - you sure are sweet for thinking of me - thank you! I have a feeling I may end up passing it on to someone with a little more time and gusto on their hands. But who knows, I'm so attached to it I have a feeling that'll be easier said than done lol.
Old 12-12-22, 10:12 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Had a strange issue on the SC last week... I noticed the car cranking a bit slow in the morning but didn't think too much of it. I've got a 18 month old Interstate battery and just figured it was cold and chalked it up to that. However, after driving into work I went to start the car and it would BARELY want to run. I finally got it started but it had the CEL lit up and it was instant limp mode (even with a new jump box hooked up). My first thought - not ANOTHER failed VVTI throttle body (I'm on a used one from Gerry/Gerrb now) and was dreading having to diagnose and find another one. I pulled some OBD one codes (IDK what they're worth with the JDM ECU and a few of them came back that didn't match anything I could find online). However, in the back of my head I just knew something wasn't right with that interstate battery. I just had to replace another almost new one in the Cressida. After a little quick googling I found other VVTI guys having strange issues with failing batteries and low voltage so I figured I'd go with my gut and try that first. Threw a fresh battery in (good lord batteries are expensive these days lol) and she started right up with no CEL and no limp mode! Unfortunately a lot of new AGM batteries are just plain ****. You used to be able to count on them for five years but I'm learning they're more poorly made than ever (and more expensive to boot).

So far the car starts and drives wonderfully! Hoping this car lasts in its current form for another year or two. I'd love to upgrade to standalone, go speed density, and ditch the electronic throttle body once and for all but that just isn't in my budget at this time. In the meantime, she is due for plugs, and oil change, and diff fluid change. I also threw in some LED low and high beams to get rid of the archaic HID kits that have been in it since I bought it. Hopefully I'll get to that in the next few weeks so she's ready for another year of cruising and some mild beat downs when the mood strikes.

Happy cruising!
Rudy
KahnBB6 (12-13-22)
Old 12-12-22, 10:32 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Hey Rudy,
Sure hate what you have been through with the battery. A few months back I had to replace my battery which was the very best one that Auto Zone sells. It was only 1 1/2 years old but they covered it under warranty, Some times you just can't get ahead no matter hard you try. Good luck and no more bad batteries OK.
Bill
Old 12-12-22, 10:53 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Thanks for the nice reply Bill! All things considered I'm a lot happier throwing a new battery in than I would be trying to hunt down another good used throttle body!
Bimmerbill (12-12-22)
Old 12-12-22, 06:51 PM
Rcreegan
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 89 Posts

Glad you got it figured out! What a pain and sucks that these new batteries don’t last long
Bimmerbill (12-12-22)
Old 12-13-22, 06:42 AM
KahnBB6

Hey Rudy! I'm sorry you had this trouble but am glad you were able to sort it out with a new battery. I also use an Interstate battery in my SC: an MTX-24F AGM rated at 710 CCA & 885 CA. It's over-rated for the SC and 2JZ engine based on what their database says the car calls for but I find it to be the better choice. As long as it's in good condition it *always* cranks the car without a hitch be it in the summer or cold (for Florida) winter days.

Still... here in Florida the same problem of AGM battery wear exists too. These are usually only good for 2-3... *maybe* 4 years before they need to be replaced.

Interstate is one of the better choices out there.

P.S. Sorry about my delay in replying to your PM! It's been a hellish week! I just last night got a new boost gauge installed (I had one previously but it was uselessly inaccurate) to see real numbers now which will help when I try out the spring mod as you did. I'll have a couple of notes to swap with you on that. I am almost 100% certain that my issue is a weakened and worn #1 wastegate on my stock twins which gets blown open prematurely by back-pressure inside the turbo.

I'm going to try the Dorman #59003 Universal Throttle Return Spring since someone on Supraforums noted it was soft enough to just get him back to stock boost at 0.9 BAR. I'm going to try one without the Stu Hagen adjustable spring setup and then another with that if it seems not good enough by itself.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 12-13-22 at 06:52 AM.
Old 12-13-22, 07:54 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Thanks for the replies guys - glad it was an easy fix! I too thought highly of those Interstate batteries but unfortunately both of those units let me down in a very short period of time...

Craig - no need to be sorry whatsoever! As for the wastegate spring mod/helper spring - I certainly took an "oldschool" trial and error approach. However, adding the spring instantly corrected my boost levels and has held up very well for what seems like a couple years already. I'm sure with a little tinkering you'll have no problem remedying the issue. I'd sure love to go with a "smedium" single lol and get rid of the old turbos, extra piping, yada yada yada... But I keep telling myself I'll be able to upgrade/modernize one of these years. Feel free to shoot me a message Craig I'm happy to help however I can!

KahnBB6 (12-13-22)
Old 12-13-22, 12:24 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 506 Likes on 300 Posts

Sorry to hear all that, I buy Interstates and have never had a problem. They usually go 5 yrs. I'm up here in the mountains now where it's been 10, 20 degrees at nights. Says 8 tonight
Fires right up nice, but I buy new. The places I drive can't have things go wrong
Joe
Old 12-13-22, 12:42 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Joe - definitely a strange occurrence. I've never had batteries fail so prematurely on me, but hopefully I got both failures out of my system for a while!
Barbary (12-15-22)

Quick Reply: Rudy's SC300 Weekend Warrior