Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Rudy's SC300 Weekend Warrior

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-23, 09:06 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

For ****s and grins - a few photos from weekend hangs!

Have a great week guys

The following 2 users liked this post by RudysSC:
joewitafro (03-06-23), KahnBB6 (03-07-23)
Old 03-07-23, 11:28 AM
Nqyrnminds
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RudysSC
After the first track day I have pretty little confidence taking this thing in deep as it is. I did go yellow and am sad to hear that. However, I'll order up a back up set of something else. Have any recommendations?

God the diff dropped off today at the local gear shop for the KAAZ install. I'll write up my thoughts on that after the ridiculous break in procedure takes place lol.
What is the specs on the differential that you got? Is it 200mm ring with 30 splines?
Old 03-07-23, 11:44 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Hey man! I purchased KAAZ part number DAT 3020 (https://kaazusa.com/product/toyota-s...-aristo-2-way/) that's made for our 200mm ring gear but I'm not sure about the spline count off of the top of my head). It was essentially a bolt-in procedure, but I did pull the diff myself and had a local gear shop to the install for me. They checked everything over and were amazed how good it looked based on the age and mileage (my car is a '92 with about 160k on the trans, chassis, diff, etc).

I will say to anyone that wants to run a KAAZ differential - I LOVE the 2-way in this big heavy coupe both for street and road course use. The car plants well, rotates nicely, and the trail braking effect it gives makes these heavy cars feel lighter than they are. However, I highly recommend using the KAAZ fluid. I tried a motul (300LS fluid I believe) for clutch type diffs and the chatter was much more apparent when going around slow corners during daily driving. As soon as I put the KAAZ fluid back in that chatter almost completely went away.
Old 03-07-23, 06:16 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts

Rudy-- Bad gas can cause some issues as well. My SC's tank was nearly full a couple of months ago when my last breakdown happened and all this time doing fixes and startup tests it's still pretty much at the same level. I may use my gas tapper to drain it to 3/4 and then refill it with fresh fuel. Then I'd just use the removed gas in the LS400 or maybe in the pressure washer I need to make use of again soon.

Also as Gerry suggested to me it is probably time for a new OEM fuel filter whenever I can take the car in for that.

Still... I think you and I are just experiencing odd quirks of really old ECUs and a couple of equally old associated electronics. For my part I know that I need to at least inspect a couple of my ECUs that are not yet capacitor serviced. I still don't know for sure if my past troubles with poor/no cylinder head grounding for my Igniter circuit caused any issues to them or not. Doubtful but hard to say.

I've been too busy with other things to work on the SC right now but I will get on it again soon. I hope your hard efforts are rewarded asap!
Old 03-08-23, 06:33 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

I always appreciate the support and hope the best for you as well Craig! I'm going to do a fuel filter swap soon as well just in case (mine looks OLD LOL). However, I agree and I also agree with Nick, Kyru, and others about going standalone. It's just horrible timing and not an expense I want to take on... However, on that note, I think I might try and get a few grand out of the cressida so that I can put it towards the SC here later this year...

Hope y'all are well - happy cruising!!
The following users liked this post:
KahnBB6 (03-08-23)
Old 03-17-23, 10:04 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Well, I just don't know what to say guys. I've probably driven the car ten times now after having these intermittent issues and it's driven like an absolute DREAM. The new coils, plugs, and wires certainly seemed to make a small improvement on drivability and response which was to be expected. The issue did persist after that, and quite frankly, the only other thing I've done besides resetting my JDM VVI Supra ecu was put fresh gas in it. Who knows, maybe it was a bit of bad fuel or something working its way out of the tank... I'm going to throw a fresh fuel filter in as well just in case and have one sitting at the house.

Otherwise, for now.... I'm just going to enjoy the crap out of this thing all summer and hopefully make it through without any major repairs. From there - planning on going ECU Masters Black in the fall or winter (they're one of the few that offer a plug and play for the VVTI and I have resources here in town to help me tune it) and convert to speed density/mechanical TB.

Happy cruising guys - man - I LOVE this damn car even despite all the tinkering it took to get the swap going *and sometimes still does lol*
Bimmerbill (03-17-23), DJDGTE (04-03-23)
Old 03-17-23, 10:06 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Received 225 Likes on 148 Posts

Well, I just don't know what to say guys. I've probably driven the car ten times now after having these intermittent issues and it's driven like an absolute DREAM. The new coils, plugs, and wires certainly seemed to make a small improvement on drivability and response which was to be expected. The issue did persist after that, and quite frankly, the only other thing I've done besides resetting my JDM VVI Supra ecu was put fresh gas in it. Who knows, maybe it was a bit of bad fuel or something working its way out of the tank... I'm going to throw a fresh fuel filter in as well just in case and have one sitting at the house.

Otherwise, for now.... I'm just going to enjoy the crap out of this thing all summer and hopefully make it through without any major repairs. From there - planning on going ECU Masters Black in the fall or winter (they're one of the few that offer a plug and play for the VVTI and I have resources here in town to help me tune it) and convert to speed density/mechanical TB.

Happy cruising guys - man - I LOVE this damn car even despite all the tinkering it took to get the swap going *and sometimes still does lol*
if you need any help from a few states over I’ve got tons of info!
Old 03-17-23, 10:19 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

I appreciate it man!! When the time comes it sounds like they've got some good base maps and sell sensors that will work well with their software so that I can ditch my OEM Maf and TB. From that point, this thing will be so much simpler and reliable!
Old 03-18-23, 11:37 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 506 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Rudy-- Bad gas can cause some issues as well!
Hello Guys, I've heard that mentioned now a few times and yes that has happened to me, probably for sure ( how's that for wordsmith) ha ha. I even wrote about it here somewhere. I came back from my Durango trip thru some territory, buying gas along the way. Now I made it back home but the next day it was sputtering and my check engine light came on for only the 2nd time I've had it.

This is how I have to do things in my little hick town. There's actually 3 small shops, went to one I was trying to get close with but at 1st a California "pimp ride" didn't go over to well, But I stayed

w the old timer, who was a hot rodder in his day. He realized what the car really was and gave him the forums thread on OBD1 codes. He actually read it
and we came up w the EGR code

I started looking around for the valve and that was a hassle too. He asked me where I had driven it and said Durango. He said it might be just bad gas. I ran a few clean tank loads and injector cleaners threw it. The car started running its usual good self and the cel hasn't come on since. So there is that!

I've been reading all the trials and tribulations above and hoping the fun and joys are commensurate to you all. Just saying I feel you 💜
Old 03-20-23, 08:47 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Barbary - always love your awesome stories and photos to go with! Sometimes it's easy to overlook the simplest of solutions and I'm hoping that may just be the case with my car. It's been running like an absolute dream machine since...
Barbary (03-20-23), KahnBB6 (03-20-23)
Old 03-20-23, 11:13 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 506 Likes on 300 Posts

Thanks Rudy, glad you like them. Have a lifes worth of 'em. Many seem to have an adventure with them
Here's one in your neck-a-the woods, from back in the nineties

Love that sign
Joe
Old 03-21-23, 08:21 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Too cool Barbary!!

I hope to have a similar collection myself one day. Part of my motivation in buying my business is to live easy, retire early, and hopefully be able to adventure the way you do on a regular basis. Trying to plant those seeds early so that I can live simply and not work when I'm old!

Stay well!
The following users liked this post:
Barbary (03-21-23)
Old 04-11-23, 10:46 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Well... life around here is a little crazy as always but I made a decision to sell my Cressida and put a little bit of money into the SC. I sadly sold the Cressida over the weekend (can't believe it, put it up on CL and had it sold to the first guy that hit me up about two days later for cash). However, my wife (being the sweet heart that she is) told me I better put that money into my SC and have some fun with it. If you remember, she's who got me that Cressida in the first place to keep me busy over covid lol. And my god, did it.... You may have noticed things got a little out of hand with the 1UZ swap but I got all of my money out of it and then some when I sold it.

My car needs plenty of things in my eyes... Standalone, replacing the old turbos (although they still seem to be holding strong), lightweight seats to replace the heavy leathers that are really starting to shower their age, etc... With the issues I've had recently and the imminent demise of the 20 year old JDM electronics I've decided to bite the bullet and go standalone. I've ordered the following:

They had a bit of a tax refund sale so the timing was pretty wonderful. I've also ordered a mechanical throttle body conversion piece from Driftmotion to remove the electronic drive gear from my throttle body, lock it, and get rid of the ETCSi function.

My end goal - ditch the aging stock ECU, MAF, ETCSi function on throttle body, and have a more reliable and repairable car at the end of the day. Not to mention this will allow me to easily replace and calibrate for different sensors in the future, a smedium single turbo (one day), etc.

I've got a few weekends of working on my truck and yard to get everything ready for the spring. However, hopefully I'll get the ball rolling on wiring a few things up and getting this installed sooner rather than later so that I can get it on the dyno and get everything dialed in!
joewitafro (04-14-23), KahnBB6 (04-11-23)
Old 04-11-23, 10:48 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Received 225 Likes on 148 Posts

Well... life around here is a little crazy as always but I made a decision to sell my Cressida and put a little bit of money into the SC. I sadly sold the Cressida over the weekend (can't believe it, put it up on CL and had it sold to the first guy that hit me up about two days later for cash). However, my wife (being the sweet heart that she is) told me I better put that money into my SC and have some fun with it. If you remember, she's who got me that Cressida in the first place to keep me busy over covid lol. And my god, did it.... You may have noticed things got a little out of hand with the 1UZ swap but I got all of my money out of it and then some when I sold it.

My car needs plenty of things in my eyes... Standalone, replacing the old turbos (although they still seem to be holding strong), lightweight seats to replace the heavy leathers that are really starting to shower their age, etc... With the issues I've had recently and the imminent demise of the 20 year old JDM electronics I've decided to bite the bullet and go standalone. I've ordered the following:

They had a bit of a tax refund sale so the timing was pretty wonderful. I've also ordered a mechanical throttle body conversion piece from Driftmotion to remove the electronic drive gear from my throttle body, lock it, and get rid of the ETCSi function.

My end goal - ditch the aging stock ECU, MAF, ETCSi function on throttle body, and have a more reliable and repairable car at the end of the day. Not to mention this will allow me to easily replace and calibrate for different sensors in the future, a smedium single turbo (one day), etc.

I've got a few weekends of working on my truck and yard to get everything ready for the spring. However, hopefully I'll get the ball rolling on wiring a few things up and getting this installed sooner rather than later so that I can get it on the dyno and get everything dialed in!
Heck yeah let me know if you need anything with emub.
Old 04-11-23, 11:00 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

I'm stoked man!! I most certainly will. A good friend of mine that runs Apikol here in town has experience with them and is willing to help me get it set up. However, I'll probably reach out to you at some point!! I'm excited to get this thing dialed in and to experiment with some of the features like launch control etc...
KahnBB6 (04-11-23), perfctreig (04-11-23)

Quick Reply: Rudy's SC300 Weekend Warrior