Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Rudy's SC300 Weekend Warrior

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-23, 11:03 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Received 225 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by RudysSC
I'm stoked man!! I most certainly will. A good friend of mine that runs Apikol here in town has experience with them and is willing to help me get it set up. However, I'll probably reach out to you at some point!! I'm excited to get this thing dialed in and to experiment with some of the features like launch control etc...
Heck yeah. I’ve done LC, anti lag, boost by gear, boost by speed, you name it. This year I’ll be playing with flat shifting, and traction control .
Old 04-11-23, 11:09 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

Haha awesome. I'm absolutely stoked. My car doesn't make enough power to worry about boost by gear/speed settings just yet. However, I love the idea of playing with launch control (and maybe a bit of anti-lag). However, I want to make sure I keep those stock hamsters in OK shape for now as this will take up most of my SC budget for the time being LOL. I probably don't need to mess with the flat shifting just yet either so that I don't grenade my W58 lol.
Old 04-11-23, 11:59 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Received 327 Likes on 253 Posts

Hey Rudy,
Hate to see you sell the Cressida but glad that you can put that money back into the SC with your wife's blessings. It sounds like she is a real KEEPER. Take good care of her. And good luck with your forthcoming project, I know you are on top of the world.
Bill
Old 04-11-23, 12:15 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Bill you're too sweet as always! I was sad to sell the Cressida as well... However - we have some family changes happening soon and sometimes simple is better. Two cars keep me busy enough and adding a third to the mix just stretched me too thin with time and budget.

Haha, yes sir, she certainly is! I'm blessed to have a wonderful wife and a great life we share together! I'll be sure to update you guys once I find a little time to get the ball rolling on all of this.
The following 3 users liked this post by RudysSC:
Ali SC3 (04-17-23), Bimmerbill (04-11-23), KahnBB6 (04-11-23)
Old 04-11-23, 04:50 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts

Rudy I am sad to hear that your Cressida had to sell but it sounds like you made the right decision. And your wife is very kind and understanding about needing to sort out your SC, bless her!

Congratulations on the family changes(!) and also on getting the ECU Master hardware to start moving forward with that! After all the trouble you have had with those throttle bodies I think it is time. With stock twins you might be able to program in sequential control for them or you might have to go permanent TTC.

So long as you won't have any issues in your area a modern single and upgraded fuel system might be good for the long term. Plus you have a VVT-i engine so that definitely will help with low end power on a single turbo setup. Select a good size A/R combo for the power level you want to use most realistically and you can still have a very responsive 2JZ-GTE

I would be curious for now if some groundwork has already been laid to replicate the staged operation of the stock twin system with that ECU Master box. If you go to the youtube channel Albon you will find a very detailed visual video explanation of how each stage in the system comes online at successive RPMs. The factory TSRM also explains it in step by step detail also as to function. From that it is possible for a tuner to replicate sequential mode control.... if you wished to. But when tuning you have to make certain things happen at certain times in the sequential twin system or it will not function well.
Old 04-12-23, 12:26 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Craig,

Your thoughtful posts are always most appreciated. Thank you for the congrats - my wife and I are expecting which is another part of why I'm "thinning the herd" just a bit lol. My wife's amazing - she knows I need a little fun in my life and I'm glad to be able to throw a few bucks at the Lexus and be able to enjoy it for years to come!

ECU Masters does state you have to go full TTC... I'm partial to the sequential set up, however, after a lot of reading I think that with a nice day worth of tuning on the dyno and having a VVTI motor that it'll be a great set up that runs hard and will most likely make a good chunk more power in the higher RPM's in TTC with a legitimate tune installed. I'm going to convert to TTC before hand to get used to it, however, I won't be raising the boost level any to make sure I keep the stock twins healthy for as long as possible.

I probably won't get to installing and tuning for another month or two, however, you guys know I'll be posting updates and will be very excited to get things moving along!
The following 2 users liked this post by RudysSC:
DaveGS4 (04-16-23), KahnBB6 (04-12-23)
Old 04-12-23, 09:26 PM
KahnBB6

I figured you both might be expecting! That's wonderful news!!

I can also see your wife's future GR Corolla being both a capable fun car for her but also a decent small kid-friendly vehicle with the back seat room and rear cargo area

Give the 5min TTC mode a try first. It won't pull quite as hard as permanent TTC but it will give you an idea of how parallel mode generally feels. There will be linear power build but the low end will be somewhat laggy. At least with a stock ECU. And perhaps your TTC low end will be better than mine since I have a Non-VVT-i engine and yours is VVT-i. I agree that the variable intake cam phasing will make a difference. Gerry has said this as well per his own experience.

An advantage you have with a JDM CT20 sequential twin system is that your Exhaust Gas Control Valve is its own separate valve and actuator unit that sandwiches in between the turbo outlet collector's iron housing and the upper twin turbo "Y" collector above it. This means that you can remove it and replace it with a modified assembly that is permanently reworked to allow full exhaust gas flow out of both turbochargers at all times instead of blocking off the #2 turbo until the middle RPMs.

There also used to be an aftermarket replacement section made by Artec which did exactly that in a pre-made assembly you could drop in (with a new set of OEM gaskets to seal). They discontinued the part unfortunately but used examples are still out there.

Also... the more affordable JDM version fo the Stu Hybrid twin upgrade is something you could look into for the future. That can be run in sequential or TTC modes. But at that point if sequential control is already out of the picture it might not be worth it vs a single.
The following users liked this post:
Barbary (04-12-23)
Old 04-12-23, 09:56 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 506 Likes on 300 Posts

[QUOTE=RudysSC;

Your thoughtful posts are always most appreciated. Thank you for the congrats - my wife and I are expecting which is another part of why I'm "thinning the herd" just a bit lol. My wife's amazing - she knows I need a little fun in my life and I'm glad to be able to throw a few bucks at the Lexus and be able to enjoy it for years to come!
[/QUOTE]

Congratulations on the Blessed Event!
Old 04-13-23, 08:10 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Thank you both for the awesome blessings!! To be honest, we had been trying for a while, had kind of given up hope, and were a little bit in the dumps about it. It came at a surprise to us and we're not only thrilled but feeling very lucky!

And yes, that's the purpose of the GR Corolla to replace her Cooper S. It would give her an incredibly cool, fun, and reliable little pocket rocket to cruise around in and I know she'd just be smitten by it... IFFFF we ever get a call about one, damn it! haha.

As for the SC - Craig, I most certainly will! I plan to give it a quick try sooner rather than later to see how I feel about it. Unfortunately I'll be stuck with it going standalone from the sounds of things... but that's ok. I think with a good tune on the VVTI motor it will run like a little banshee. I'll just have to get back to my Honda roots a little and remember it's going to take a few more revs to get going lol. I'll certainly miss the 5th gear highway cruising and not having to downshift at low rpm's to make a strong pass. I've also learned over the years that an experienced tuner on a nice standalone system can wake nearly any car up (especially on very safely/moderately tuned factory car that isn't normally aspirated).
KahnBB6 (04-13-23)
Old 04-13-23, 11:10 AM
KahnBB6

Thank you both for the awesome blessings!! To be honest, we had been trying for a while, had kind of given up hope, and were a little bit in the dumps about it. It came at a surprise to us and we're not only thrilled but feeling very lucky!

And yes, that's the purpose of the GR Corolla to replace her Cooper S. It would give her an incredibly cool, fun, and reliable little pocket rocket to cruise around in and I know she'd just be smitten by it... IFFFF we ever get a call about one, damn it! haha.

As for the SC - Craig, I most certainly will! I plan to give it a quick try sooner rather than later to see how I feel about it. Unfortunately I'll be stuck with it going standalone from the sounds of things... but that's ok. I think with a good tune on the VVTI motor it will run like a little banshee. I'll just have to get back to my Honda roots a little and remember it's going to take a few more revs to get going lol. I'll certainly miss the 5th gear highway cruising and not having to downshift at low rpm's to make a strong pass. I've also learned over the years that an experienced tuner on a nice standalone system can wake nearly any car up (especially on very safely/moderately tuned factory car that isn't normally aspirated).
I am so happy for you both!!! Very lucky parents-to-be indeed!!

Ah, the Cooper S is a nice fun car! I do think she'll enjoy the new upgrade! But you're right that it's not easy to get a GR Corolla right now. Have you looked at this page on the GR Corolla forum? And the linked Google Doc file? I would seek out more than one dealer based on the no-markup (or very little markup) recommendations therein for this rare model. Most dealers usually only get a couple of them per year between all the trim levels.

And I definitely would make the one non-negotiable option as being the dual Torsen LSD package. It is part of what completes the car and to retrofit LSDs into it, unless you are buying an open diff model specifically to immediately fit in a pair of aftermarket LSDs for racing... I'd make the GR Corolla Core with the diff package your bare minimum.

It is your wife's new daily driven car of course but I really think she would agree considering how much of a difference those LSDs make over an open diff version of the GR Corolla.

https://www.grcorollaforum.com/threa...alerships.168/

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...X97-tg/pubhtml

You're right that a good tuner can bring out the best in a good performance force inducted engine that isn't configured too far off from near stock. I am holding out for now but I may go the same route eventually with a Link ECU.

You'll get used to downshifting a little more

Also, you could use the opportunity to finally upgrade your W58 5-speed to a CD009 6-speed and match it with a different rear end ratio. That would account somewhat for a power-band now shifted in favor of the higher RPMs rather than lower.
Turbostar (04-17-23)
Old 04-13-23, 11:46 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Received 327 Likes on 253 Posts

Rudy,
I am always a day late and a dollar short but I wanted to throw my congratulations in to you and your wife. There is nothing in the world like having a baby. I had no idea when I said she was a KEEPER. I want you take good care of that sweet lady. I don't want her calling me to say you are not being nice to her and I have come out there and skin your noggin.
Good luck to the both of you on this new adventure the two of you are getting ready to take on.
Bill
Old 04-13-23, 12:21 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Haha you guys are too damn sweet! I sure appreciate the well wishes you guys. I try to take time to remember how truly lucky I am and what a great life I've been blessed with. Thank you both - y'all have made my day today!

Craig - I'll be sure to check out the forum! Honestly I keep myself so busy that sometimes I have to force myself to make some time for CL because I really do care about our little community here (and I love these damn cars). I don't know if I have the mental energy for another forum just yet haha! On another note - I think a Link would be a great set up! I went the ECUM route simply because they are one of the few to offer a PNP adapter for the VVTI motor that's attainable, affordable, and easily tuned by a few local guys. And yes - I'd LOVE to get a big boy transmission in this car eventually... We'll see - I'm going to keep that little W58 that could as long as possible. I'm sure I'll post up one day crying about blowing it up in front of my friends house doing a burnout after being heckled by my buddies LOL.
KahnBB6 (04-13-23)
Old 04-13-23, 06:45 PM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Received 295 Likes on 190 Posts

Congrats on the kiddo Rudy!! I wanted boys and got two girls, and I couldn’t be happier! I hope you’re blessed with a little princess! #girldad

Enjoy brother!!

Nick
Old 04-14-23, 08:37 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Nick - much appreciated!! I think we're both secretly hoping for a girl, however, under the surprising circumstances we'll be happy just to have one no matter what!

I told my wife about your guys' nice comments and we both had a good smile and a laugh about it last night. I sure love this place.

Happy cruising guys!
Rudy
The following 2 users liked this post by RudysSC:
joewitafro (04-14-23), KahnBB6 (04-15-23)
Old 04-15-23, 04:36 AM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Received 295 Likes on 190 Posts

Nick - much appreciated!! I think we're both secretly hoping for a girl, however, under the surprising circumstances we'll be happy just to have one no matter what!

I told my wife about your guys' nice comments and we both had a good smile and a laugh about it last night. I sure love this place.

Happy cruising guys!
Rudy
Of course! Good health is the only thing that matters! The feeling of being a Dad is second to none. You’ll be overjoyed man. My daughters are 2.5 and 1 so I’m a recent graduate lol — if you want any pointers, hit me up.

Nick

Quick Reply: Rudy's SC300 Weekend Warrior