Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Rudy's SC300 Weekend Warrior

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-23, 06:54 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

Haha Nick I sure appreciate it! Id be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous but I know I’m going to adore fatherhood. I look forward to what the year holds! And I know my wife is thrilled as well.

Since it’s an inevitable move I went ahead with the TTC mod this weekend. And… to my surprise… it RULES. I had read a few things that turned me off to doing this. The loss of boost/power at low RPM is a tad of a bummer, but really only when cruising in high gear on the highway. However, it sounds so much tougher at low RPM instead of just at 4k plus since this leaves the exhaust open all of the time now. The power is smooth, super linear, and that horrible lull at 4k is gone before the 2nd turbo kicks in (I used to HATE that). It also pulls harder from 3.5k to redline than it ever did before. Not to mention it makes full boost in first gear which it never did when it was sequential.

I hate to say it, but I can’t believe I waited so long to do this. The car feels so much more natural, sounds better, pulls harder/smoother, and is truly more enjoyable to drive than it ever was before.

If anyone out there is still on stock twins, I highly recommend giving this a shot! I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
The following 2 users liked this post by RudysSC:
Barbary (04-26-23), KahnBB6 (04-16-23)
Old 04-16-23, 11:24 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts

Great to hear Rudy!! I have tried TTC a few times while diagnosing my sequential system. I didn't like it so much but I was mostly having issues with my front waste-gate being worn and not holding full boost consistently. The spring mod seemed to mostly fix that.

I agree that in TTC mode the engine does feel much more linear in its power delivery!

In my case with a Non-VVT-i I think I will feel the lagginess in TTC a bit more than you do with a VVT-i engine.

It has crossed my mind to put the engine into permanent TTC mode eventually if the sequential system ever proves impossible to maintain. So far so good for me...
Old 04-17-23, 06:12 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Craig - I'm so pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoy it. I think you're right - having a VVTI motor helps move things along at low rpm and the little twins start building boost right before 3k. I think what caught me the most off-guard was not only the awesome power delivery, but the sound under 4k rpm really opened up. It sounds so much beefier cruising it around at low rpm and even the cold start is a bit rowdier. I'm loving it!
The following users liked this post:
KahnBB6 (04-17-23)
Old 04-17-23, 10:02 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Congrats on the great news!
KahnBB6 (04-17-23)
Old 04-17-23, 10:27 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Thank you Ali - I sure appreciate it man!
Old 04-25-23, 09:46 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

** HEAVY BREATHING ENSUES LOL **

I went with the EMU Black, VVTI PNP harness (this was half off during their sale which is part of the reason I pulled the trigger early), Bosch wideband, IAT sensor and bung, and I also went ahead and bought Driftmotion's TB lock kit. I'm not certain when I'll make time to get all of this going... I'd like to remove the MAF, lock the throttle body, get the IAT welded in, etc before going too crazy. However, I'm half tempted to get the wideband in, lock the throttle body, and go ahead and get everything plugged in with a basemap. However, I've learned over and over again it oftentimes is worth its weight in gold to have a pro not only help with final tuning but with the initial set up, scaling, etc.

I've got a local guy (Troy at Apikol) that is a friend and a big fan of these set ups. He primarily deals in euro stuff, however, he helped me wire/set up/tune my MS3 pro 2JZGE VVTI Cressida so I have no doubt he can do a stellar job helping me get this thing all dialed in as well.

It may be a few weeks before I update, but unboxing this bad boy was rather excited and I couldn't help but share! Plus, the excitement helps me miss the 1UZ Cressida less lol.
The following 6 users liked this post by RudysSC:
Bimmerbill (04-25-23), bron_karr (04-26-23), EERIEDERRI (04-25-23), joewitafro (04-26-23), KahnBB6 (04-25-23), KiroLS (04-25-23) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-26-23, 07:59 AM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Received 295 Likes on 190 Posts

Here
We
Go!

Nick
KahnBB6 (04-26-23)
Old 04-26-23, 09:37 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Haha Thanks Nick! Super excited to play with this thing and learn more about it. I'm going to have to get their software loaded on my laptop too so that I can play with some of the settings and features once we get it installed and running properly!
The following 2 users liked this post by RudysSC:
Barbary (04-26-23), CLass of 1 (04-26-23)
Old 05-03-23, 09:28 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

I don't talk about my Tacoma much... Firstly, this obviously isn't a Tacoma forum lol, but secondly, well, it's quite boring in comparison to the SC. However, I absolutely ADORE this truck. My dad bought it new in '03 and passed it onto me 7-8 years ago. It's always sat outside, has hail damage, and the clear coat is starting to slowly fade and peel away. However, mechanically it has always been METICULOUSLY cared for as I rely on it heavily. Not only can I count on it when the SC is down and out, but my wife and I use it for road trips, camping, and everything in between.

Just recently I decided it was due for a big refresh... Last year I replaced most of the front suspension including a new wheel bearing, inner and outer tie rod ends, lower ball joints, steering rack bushings, etc. Just last week I pulled the trigger on a 3" lift with Bilstein 6112's in the front and 5100's in the rear, along with new front springs and new EMU rear leaf springs and shackles. I bumped the tire size up a bit and switched from my old BFG's to some 265-75R16 Falken Wildpeaks. Although the Wildpeaks seemed like a trendy option, after reading various reviews, they truly are wonderful for the price. All weather rated, they look great, last a long time, and are quieter on the road than my old BFG's. Not only does this thing look awesome, but the change in ride quality is night and day! This is it's third set of struts and the upgrade to the beefier Bilsteins and EMU springs was such a nice upgrade.

Needless to say, I'm smitten by this little guy once again and can't wait to get it out and camp this summer. Hope you all are well!

The following 5 users liked this post by RudysSC:
Ali SC3 (05-08-23), Bimmerbill (05-03-23), joewitafro (05-04-23), KahnBB6 (05-04-23), RSJSC400 (07-28-23)
Old 05-03-23, 11:55 AM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Received 295 Likes on 190 Posts

We just had to sell my Mom’s ‘02 TRD. It had 220k miles and somehow blew a head gasket. It was dealing with a few other gremlins so she traded in for a new Mazda CX-5. At her age, it’s a better fit.

Congrats on keeping such a great truck going!

Nick
Bimmerbill (05-03-23)
Old 05-03-23, 01:57 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

I'm sure a new CX-5 is a lot more practical and comfortable for her. Too bad about the head gasket - it does happen on these now and again from the sounds of things. And thanks Nick - I love this little truck and keeping it in the family always feels special to me.
CLass of 1 (05-03-23)
Old 05-04-23, 12:44 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 269 Likes on 190 Posts

Love the tacoma! Just so happens I'm wanting to trade my 22 civic sports touring hatchback for a 2024 tacoma. Love these trucks and need something to tow the SC to track days!
Old 05-04-23, 06:16 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Thanks Joe!! This little dude has been a rock for my family and I for 20 years now! Those new ones are so slick - I don't think you can go wrong with one! The new refresh coming up is looking pretty slick too...
Old 05-08-23, 01:27 AM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 506 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by RudysSC
I don't talk about my Tacoma much... Firstly, this obviously isn't a Tacoma forum lol, but secondly, well, it's quite boring in comparison to the SC. However, I absolutely ADORE this truck. My dad bought it new in '03 and passed it onto me 7-8 years ago. It's always sat outside, has hail damage, and the clear coat is starting to slowly fade and peel away. However, mechanically it has always been METICULOUSLY cared for as I rely on it heavily. Not only can I count on it when the SC is down and out, but my wife and I use it for road trips, camping, and everything in between.

Just recently I decided it was due for a big refresh... Last year I replaced most of the front suspension including a new wheel bearing, inner and outer tie rod ends, lower ball joints, steering rack bushings, etc. Just last week I pulled the trigger on a 3" lift with Bilstein 6112's in the front and 5100's in the rear, along with new front springs and new EMU rear leaf springs and shackles. I bumped the tire size up a bit and switched from my old BFG's to some 265-75R16 Falken Wildpeaks. Although the Wildpeaks seemed like a trendy option, after reading various reviews, they truly are wonderful for the price. All weather rated, they look great, last a long time, and are quieter on the road than my old BFG's. Not only does this thing look awesome, but the change in ride quality is night and day! This is it's third set of struts and the upgrade to the beefier Bilsteins and EMU springs was such a nice upgrade.

Needless to say, I'm smitten by this little guy once again and can't wait to get it out and camp this summer. Hope you all are well!

Love that old school retro Look!!!
It will probably out last all of us
Old 05-08-23, 09:19 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Haha Barbary these old Taco's sure do last a lifetime!
Barbary (05-08-23)

Quick Reply: Rudy's SC300 Weekend Warrior