Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Rudy's SC300 Weekend Warrior

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-23, 10:34 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

Silly question for you guys - I threw some LED tail light bulbs in and now have the warning lamp on in my cluster. I found a write up about a wire that goes to the tail light ecu in the trunk on the driver side near the antenna motor. However, that appeared to be for 97+ cars and I didn't see a tail light ecu with a plug anywhere in that general area on my 92...

Is there a little wire I can snip back there or how do guys with early SC's go about disabling that warning light when switching out to LED bulbs?

Thank you in advance
Old 05-17-23, 05:40 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts

^^ Hey Rudy. I know that all the SC model years have tail lamp failure warning ECUs. There probably is a difference in the wiring for at least two of the different series SC revisions: 92-94, 95-96, 97, 98 and 99-00 cars.

I am not sure which wires to modify to make it go out, sorry. I've never tried that mini project before on my SC.
Old 05-18-23, 06:31 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Hey Craig,

All good my friend! I'm starting to feel like it was a little silly to not put normal bulbs in lol... I may just swap them back out if I can't find a solution to the warning light.

Figured it would be worth posting and asking about...
The following users liked this post:
KahnBB6 (05-18-23)
Old 05-18-23, 01:38 PM
KahnBB6

I think LeX2K has commented on how to disable the failure light warning module before. I'm pretty sure it was a feature on all 1990's Lexus models, not just the SC.
Old 05-18-23, 06:49 PM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Received 327 Likes on 253 Posts

Rudy,
See if this helps;
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...post5470969

This is page 49 then scroll down to page 67 for a better picture.
Best of luck as always,
Bill
PS: Marcus gave me this information a while back.

Old 05-18-23, 06:53 PM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Rudy,
For some dumb reason it did not pull up. I will try to find out tomorrow and let you know.
Bill
Old 05-18-23, 07:03 PM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Rudy,
OK i have it now;
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ml#5470969
That should do it.
Bill
Old 05-18-23, 11:10 PM
KahnBB6

Bill, however you are copying that link it is being truncated by something and isn't posting with the full URL string. Try loading the page/post in your browser and do a copy of the URL directly from the top of your browser and then paste it. If that's what you're already doing then just list the name of the thread and that can be used to find it and jump to page 49 within
Old 05-19-23, 01:32 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Hey Bill,

If you can do what Craig mentioned I would be thrilled - I've been searching and am having a hell of a time finding a solution for an early car short of pulling out my cluster and pulling the bulb out lol.

Thanks you guys - your help is always appreciated!
Rudy
KahnBB6 (05-20-23)
Old 07-10-23, 10:08 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

I've been driving this thing A LOT. Haven't worked on much lately except for getting the fog light bulbs in and the housings cleaned up. I also had to retro-fit some new washer nozzles.

I'm hoping here in the next two weeks I'll link up with my tuner and get started on setting up the ECU Masters. In the meantime, I've got a new "fun" issue starting to occur lol. As soon as I get to about half/two-thirds throttle it's as though my throttle body just shuts... Throttle response gets laggy, and it drives ok at part throttle but as soon as you try and go past half throttle it's as if it just completely shuts the throttle plate.

GAH! haha. I absolutely can't wait to get this thing on standalone and get rid of that god awful throttle body system.
Old 07-31-23, 11:15 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Might have finally carved out some time next weekend to work with my tuner and start tearing into the ECU Masters project on the SC! Very excited.

On another note... My wife and I have been hoping to score a GR Corolla, however, due to their limited availability and CRAZY markups (we lost one last week as another buyer was willing to pay a 10k markup plus dealer add ons for a base model) we've started to look at some other sporty 4-door options for my wife. She's replacing her '13 Cooper S convertible so the replacement had to be sporty enough to scratch that itch for her. After test driving around town, looking at used cars, and weighing our options... We finally brought one home.

She went ahead with a 2023 VW GTI (40th Anniv) that has... a true 6speed manual! My wife loves sporty cars, however, we needed something that we can load a car seat/stroller into as well as something that we can drive on snowy days now and again for these Colorado winters. It's our first new car purchase between the two of us and my wife is absolutely smitten. I'm not sure if I've ever posted a photo of myself, however, my wife and I can't wait to put that first photo in our baby book so that our little one can look back and see the day we brought it home while my wife was pregnant.

The car is wonderful - it's so wild being in and driving a brand new car (my newest car is my '03 Tacoma lol). It drives great, has plenty of power, an awesome cloth interior with the classic plaid interior, heated everything, and more. My wife is smitten and I'm happy we finally found her a good fit!
The following 2 users liked this post by RudysSC:
joewitafro (08-02-23), KahnBB6 (07-31-23)
Old 07-31-23, 02:08 PM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Rudy,
I am very proud for you and your wife on this purchase. It will bring you a lot of memories that you will have the rest of your life. Also with her in the Motherly condition you want her driving a safe and dependable car. I bet this will be the car that makes the trip to the hospital.
Good luck to both of you,
Bill
RudysSC (08-01-23)
Old 07-31-23, 11:21 PM
KahnBB6

Congratulations to her and you both!!! The '23 GTI looks great and is always in the top tier of everyone's must-have sporty cars list! Turbo power with a 6-speed manual, a stellar suspension and great practicality! I hope she enjoys her sweet new ride! She'll have plenty of fun in that driving machine I'm sure!

I'm sorry you lost out on the GR Corolla. That's absolutely rotten that the dealer didn't honor your waitlist reservation. If I were in your position I'd boycott that dealer for life even including random parts. It's bad business to screw people over. This is also very much Toyota's fault for purposely not making enough of them. The dealer I went with would have honored MSRP and said they would do an out of state sale, however they also said they've seen only 2-3 GR Corollas in their inventory since they went on the market. Artificial scarcity by Toyota.

Anyway I think you both made a great choice with the GTI! Probably the last true manual generation they will still sell, too! Your wife looks very happy with it!

And what a beautiful picture of you both!! That's certainly going to be a memory to look back on at the start of a grand family journey!!

I hope you'll get that chance to start working with your tuner over the summer on your SC!

Mine has still been dormant for the last few weeks until I can afford the Haltech 2500 Elite ECU & PnP harness for it. In the meantime I've been carefully putting break-in miles on the GR86 and learning about it and its little flat FA24D engine. Frequent oil level checks and top offs are the norm with it. Reminds me of my old Honda Prelude's H22A engine which also consumed some oil by design.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 07-31-23 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-31-23, 11:46 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 506 Likes on 300 Posts

Wow! that's hot
All I can say is keep the Blessed events coming. Great pic, one for the ages
So Kool having a lady you can relate with
God Bless
RudysSC (08-01-23)
Old 08-01-23, 12:15 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Craig, Bill, and Joe - You guys are always so damn sweet! I love being able to post here and your guys' encouragement is just awesome. We're definitely a little bit let down by how hard and expensive it's been to try and get a GR Corolla. However, this is a great compromise and thus far my wife is absolutely loving this little GTI so far! It's not quite as cool in all honesty, however, it does have a lot of tech and a much nicer interior compared to the GR and when it comes to a daily driver those are some awfully nice things to have. Plus, it's my wife's favorite color lol.

We can't wait to make some great memories in it. I always appreciate the awesome encouragement and I'm always wishing you guys the best! That little one of ours is hopefully going to get as much of a kick out of that photo one day as I do every time I look at it haha.

Craig - fingers crossed we can get both of these SC's tuned in and rockin here soon. With everything going on (and I know I have no room to talk about having things going on after the summer you've had) I'm trying to remember it can all happen when there's time. Worst case the cars sit until the season is over and that'll buy us some time to have them rocking and rolling for an awesome spring next year!

The following 3 users liked this post by RudysSC:
Barbary (08-01-23), Bimmerbill (08-01-23), KahnBB6 (08-03-23)

Quick Reply: Rudy's SC300 Weekend Warrior