Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Rudy's SC300 Weekend Warrior

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-19, 09:20 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,207 Likes on 836 Posts

Thank you Rodger! I'm thrilled about how it looks, and I can't wait to get the GTE motor pulled so that I can start going through it a little before tearing into my car. PM replied.
Old 12-23-19, 07:16 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Well - the GTE motor is out of the parts car. It only took a friend and me a few hours on Saturday. I love the simplicity of a nice inline 6. It has a W58 attached to it. Since it's condition is unknown I'll be saving my current W58 and attaching it with my new(ish) clutch/flywheel to the GTE motor. When draining the fluid from this trans, it had a nice grey color and more shiny bits than I'd prefer... Before installing, I've got a list of maintenance items such as TB/WP, spark plugs, valve cover gaskets, etc that I plan to install while the motor is sitting on the floor. Any other advice on things worth replacing before installing this into my car?

Old 12-23-19, 07:18 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Also - do the GTE VVTI ecus have the same issues as SC's with capacitors failing? Trying to decide if the ECU is worth sending in to make sure it's solid before install.
Old 12-24-19, 03:59 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by RudysSC
Well - the GTE motor is out of the parts car. It only took a friend and me a few hours on Saturday. I love the simplicity of a nice inline 6. It has a W58 attached to it. Since it's condition is unknown I'll be saving my current W58 and attaching it with my new(ish) clutch/flywheel to the GTE motor. When draining the fluid from this trans, it had a nice grey color and more shiny bits than I'd prefer... Before installing, I've got a list of maintenance items such as TB/WP, spark plugs, valve cover gaskets, etc that I plan to install while the motor is sitting on the floor. Any other advice on things worth replacing before installing this into my car?
It sure would be an good time to go ahead with a water pump, timing belt, and timing belt tensioner since it is so easy to get to it. Looking good, keep it going.
The following users liked this post:
scsexy (12-24-19)
Old 12-24-19, 06:38 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

^ Rodger - you got it man, that's the plan! Really getting excited. Crossing my fingers that this engine is as good on the inside as it looks on the outside. Someone really took their time with this swap and wired it quite well too. It's all plug and play so when it comes time to install it shouldn't be a bad gig!
Old 12-24-19, 09:34 AM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Heck yeah man keep up the good work!, like Rxrodger said timing belt, water pump, tensioner are the main maintenance items but check the pulleys too

Would be a good item to check your heater hoses from the back of the block and from the rear of the water pump since they are easy to access for the moment.

The w58 and r154 both have a little bushing under the shifter that goes out and makes the transmissions feel/shift way sloppier but you can do this and like fuel filter at any time

Old 12-24-19, 09:47 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Yo Ryan! Thanks for the input man. Definitely going to go through it and spend the time/money to make sure it's solid before dropping it in. As for heater hoses, I just installed new ones on my red SC not too long ago, so I'll be stealing those and installing them on the new motor lol. I appreciate everyone's input, and I'm getting very excited for things to come!
Old 12-27-19, 10:16 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

I've got all of the usual maintenance stuff ordered for the motor which should arrive in time for me to install and tinker on my day off (new years). Pulled the transmission and clutch off of the GTE motor - the clutch pucks were ground down to damn near nothing, and it appears nearly all of the pressure plate springs failed.

I do have a W58 with unknown miles/history for sale here in Denver if anyone is interested - always willing to wheel and deal for a CL member.

Can't wait to spend a day going through the motor and going over everything. This view in my garage is causing a lot of heavy breathing

Old 12-30-19, 01:49 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by scsexy
The w58 and r154 both have a little bushing under the shifter that goes out and makes the transmissions feel/shift way sloppier but you can do this and like fuel filter at any time
With regards to this bushing, here is an interesting tidbit. The bushings are different on different year models (tripod vs non). If you don’t get the correct one your shifter can have slop.

Going off what Toyota says.

The 31010 is 92-94 SC300.
The 22020 is 94 + SC300 and Supra.
RudysSC (01-09-20)
Old 01-13-20, 03:42 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Oh wow! This thread is awesome! They posted about it on the front page, and I'm definitely going to stay tuned for updates. These cars are such a timeless design, and with 2JZ power it'll be a beast! Awesome that you get it out on the track too. Can't wait to see everything come together — I'm keeping my fingers crossed everything goes smooth!
RudysSC (01-13-20)
Old 01-13-20, 04:52 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

^ Thank you guys for the front page shot, very cool!!

This weekend I finished up installing:

New plugs
Valve cover gaskets
Timing belt kit and water pump
etc etc.

Had to drill and easy-out a few broken off bolts. However, everything has gone relatively smooth. Hoping to start pulling my GE motor this weekend. Once that's done, I can swap needed parts and accessories between them and get it dropped into its new home.

Thanks for reading!
Old 01-14-20, 09:17 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by RudysSC
^ Thank you guys for the front page shot, very cool!!

This weekend I finished up installing:

New plugs
Valve cover gaskets
Timing belt kit and water pump
etc etc.

Had to drill and easy-out a few broken off bolts. However, everything has gone relatively smooth. Hoping to start pulling my GE motor this weekend. Once that's done, I can swap needed parts and accessories between them and get it dropped into its new home.

Thanks for reading!
For sure man! Stoked to be following this thread!
Old 01-15-20, 04:41 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

looking good my friend , keep the upgrades coming !
RudysSC (01-15-20)
Old 01-19-20, 12:28 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Well my GE is nearly ready to pull. I hope next weekend I’ll have time to pull it, swap my trans and any other needed things over like my beefier motor mounts etc.

However, I have a question for you guys. On my SC, there’s part of the body harness on the passenger side that plugs into the alternator. Another part branches off and runs to the maf, a sensor on the throttle body, and then goes through the timing cover and under the intake manifold. On the new motor, it appears all of this (minus the alternator harness), is built into the new harness and runs in with everything else through the firewall and into the body/ecu. What should I do with this section of the body harness before pulling my GE out? Do I need to piece it out of the existing harness, or can is simple be cut and terminated at the chassis as it appears to not be needed since it’s existing on the harness for the new motor.

Thanks for your help and input as always!
Old 01-19-20, 12:54 PM
gearhead7
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

very clean build so far! love the garnet pearl color, i looked far and wide for a clean garnet car but settled for a black with grey interior

Quick Reply: Rudy's SC300 Weekend Warrior