Build Threads Details on Club Lexus IS-F owner vehicles

5LTRV8 Track Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-18, 07:37 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoolander
When do you plan on doing that? Your aero has a list of mistakes slowing you down. It would benefit you to spend some time reading how aero works before adding much more to your car.

Car looks good otherwise.
2.5 seconds faster after new endplate and his diffuser addition and yet his aero is slowing him down. Interesting.
The following users liked this post:
Leander311 (08-26-20)
Old 09-25-18, 07:17 PM
5ltrv8
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

If anyone is interested, I modeled my rear diffuser after the one on the RCF-GT3 car. They have a recent video on the 3GT Racing Facebook page that really shows the diffuser in detail.

Old 09-27-18, 08:41 AM
Angrycmy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Such a clean build! Nicely done sir
Old 10-01-18, 01:19 PM
Leander311
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Love your build and am thankful you've taken the time to post so much about it, such that folks like me looking to track don't have nearly as much guesswork ahead of us! ... I'm finally installing my Penskes this week (along with replacing basically every front suspension component imaginable), and did a bunch of reading on the APR goodies as I look to my next track upgrade. Found a fascinating bit of "white paper" that justified these improved Singular end plates. Enjoy!

https://baero.tech/blog/2018/4/26/fi...-endplate-data

Edit: Also curious, was any kind of reinforcing plate necessary under the trunk lid when mounting the APR wing?

- Nick

Last edited by Leander311; 10-01-18 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-01-18, 04:12 PM
5ltrv8
Driver

Originally Posted by Leander311
Love your build and am thankful you've taken the time to post so much about it, such that folks like me looking to track don't have nearly as much guesswork ahead of us! ... I'm finally installing my Penskes this week (along with replacing basically every front suspension component imaginable), and did a bunch of reading on the APR goodies as I look to my next track upgrade. Found a fascinating bit of "white paper" that justified these improved Singular end plates. Enjoy!

https://baero.tech/blog/2018/4/26/fi...-endplate-data

Edit: Also curious, was any kind of reinforcing plate necessary under the trunk lid when mounting the APR wing?

- Nick
Hey Nick! I really appreciate the kind words😊. I had done a lot of reading about the endplates prior to going with the Singular plates, but I hadn’t seen this white paper, so thanks!
I look forward to seeing your track upgrades as well.

For the spoiler, there wasn’t too much reinforcing that had to be done due to the design of the trunk lid. I used large washers to help reinforce the mounting points, but I can say it works flawlessly at speeds upward of 140mph. I am going to snug all of the bolts down during the off season, so I will take some pictures when I do if the mounting points🏎
Leander311 (10-11-18)
Old 10-01-18, 04:13 PM
5ltrv8
Driver

Originally Posted by Angrycmy
Such a clean build! Nicely done sir
Thank you!
Old 10-11-18, 12:11 PM
Leander311
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 5ltrv8

Hey Nick! I really appreciate the kind words😊. I had done a lot of reading about the endplates prior to going with the Singular plates, but I hadn’t seen this white paper, so thanks!
I look forward to seeing your track upgrades as well.

For the spoiler, there wasn’t too much reinforcing that had to be done due to the design of the trunk lid. I used large washers to help reinforce the mounting points, but I can say it works flawlessly at speeds upward of 140mph. I am going to snug all of the bolts down during the off season, so I will take some pictures when I do if the mounting points🏎
Gladly! No need for pics - that she's flawless beyond 140 is all I needed to hear. But after seeing lots of Miata and other owners have deforming issues, it was worth asking.

Also, I've since realized those Singular plates are different than the "Baero" offering I'd linked, but similar. The fit/finish of the Singular product sold me... So I've now the APR-200, Gurney flap, Singular plates, and 2.5" risers awaiting install.

Any recommendations on a quick-release setup? My IS-F is also my daily, so the wing will go on only for track use. Thanks again!
Old 10-11-18, 02:18 PM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Some more pictures of the diffuser build process:

Could you give us a few more details on the diffuser build? Is it all carbon or is there another base material that you put the carbon over? Just curious.
Old 10-11-18, 06:42 PM
5ltrv8
Driver

Originally Posted by Leander311
Gladly! No need for pics - that she's flawless beyond 140 is all I needed to hear. But after seeing lots of Miata and other owners have deforming issues, it was worth asking.

Also, I've since realized those Singular plates are different than the "Baero" offering I'd linked, but similar. The fit/finish of the Singular product sold me... So I've now the APR-200, Gurney flap, Singular plates, and 2.5" risers awaiting install.

Any recommendations on a quick-release setup? My IS-F is also my daily, so the wing will go on only for track use. Thanks again!
Awesome man...you are going to love it. My guess is that like me, as soon as you install the spoiler you won’t want to take it off. My original plan was to just use it for track days...just looks so aggressive, I love it.

Btw... I just started an instagram account for this build... w_analytics_racing
Leander311 (08-26-20)
Old 10-11-18, 06:48 PM
5ltrv8
Driver

Originally Posted by WylieKylie
Could you give us a few more details on the diffuser build? Is it all carbon or is there another base material that you put the carbon over? Just curious.
I build a mock-up of the diffuser using cardboard. Then Inused fiberglass to stiffen the cardboard. Finally I wetlayed the carbon using epoxy. This diffuser is extremely stiff and still fairly light. I can actually stand on it😂

Here is a pic before the carbon...I removed the tape before laying the carbon fiber.

Old 10-11-18, 06:56 PM
5ltrv8
Driver

Picture...pre-carbon
WylieKylie (10-11-18)
Old 10-13-18, 09:23 AM
Leander311
Intermediate

Awesome man...you are going to love it. My guess is that like me, as soon as you install the spoiler you won’t want to take it off. My original plan was to just use it for track days...just looks so aggressive, I love it.

I can’t wait!!! If I didn’t have a membership at the local drive-thru wash, I’d probably be in the same boat... but no way could I go thru with a kilobuck worth of wing on! Badass... Followed! I’m njschroe on IG.
Old 10-13-18, 12:07 PM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Received 166 Likes on 99 Posts

Followed....data analytics, huh? I am actuary (just south of you in Cincinnati) so I have very similar interests (both in analytics and tracknig the ISF) lol
Keep it up! Hope to see you at Mid Ohio next season.
Old 11-23-18, 05:46 PM
ljdsong
Intermediate

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

Just as a note...The reason I chose to go with a single race shell seat and not replace both was to retain all of the airbag functionality. Like I said above, my goal is to create the ultimate dual use vehicle, and with three kids I need to have working airbags for school dropoffs
This little resistor keeps all the airbags functioning and no dash light from the driver seat removal.
Sir may iknow where to get this resistor, im replacing both of my seat. Next week. Thanks
Old 11-23-18, 07:01 PM
5ltrv8
Driver

Originally Posted by ljdsong
Sir may iknow where to get this resistor, im replacing both of my seat. Next week. Thanks
Hey, I bought the resistor on Amazon. One thing you will have an issue with if you replace the passenger seat is you will have to transfer over the occupancy sensor...may be tricky.

Quick Reply: 5LTRV8 Track Build