Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Marcus' '92 Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-22, 06:29 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Received 225 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmj2u
Thanks for the suggestion as I definitely had NOT thought about serviceability on those lines. I’ve run my turbo oil lines back there for years now, but the coolant line is new with this build. I’ll re-run them!
Absolutely! Build looks great though! Glad to see some other NAT's succeeding, it took me a few engines to figure out the combo.
Old 09-08-22, 06:35 PM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

The engine sat in my garage for three months until my father came up to help me get it out of the garage. Anyway, I got it back in the car. On to the pics:

I chose to install the engine with as many accessories installed as I could to cut down on the time it took to get the car back up an running. That didn't quite work as well as I had hoped lol

Engine in

I had to cut the tunnel since my car is an early manual with the swan neck shifter. I added the new fiberglass impregnated plastic tunnel extension that is available on eBay. It seems to have worked well.

Shifter in place

This picture is after getting a lot done!
PHR Breather and 12AN lines (lines are not from PHR because their prices were ridiculous)
Big 3 upgrade complete with new battery terminals to accept them
Fuel system connected
Fuel pressure sensor mounted
In addition to everything else that you can see is done

Before I can start the engine, I need to
- add fluids
- setup power steering pump flush system
- Install clutch master cylinder

Speaking of the clutch master cylinder... The SerialNine CDPRO comes with a Tilton HRB which requires a larger CMC than stock on the SC.

Instead of purchasing a larger one, I modded an 87 Landcruiser CMC ($17 on RockAuto) to work with our chassis. This modification is extremely simple and easy.
Basically, you take the snap ring out of the front of both CMCs, unscrew the pedal mount from both of the rods, then swap the rods and reinstall the snap ring.
I also swapped the stud from the stock CMC to the Landcruiser one. Last step is to get it installed!

Here you can see the rod from the stock CMC installed on the Landcruiser one. With the shorter Landcruiser studs.

Stud swapped.

As you can see, I have to add a bolt and nut to hold the top.

In order to get the car to drive, I'll need to add the new single piece driveshaft.

Last edited by mrmj2u; 09-09-22 at 06:37 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrmj2u:
Ali SC3 (03-14-24), Bimmerbill (09-09-22)
Old 09-09-22, 06:04 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Received 327 Likes on 253 Posts

Marcus,
You have really put on a show with these pictures. I feel like I am right there with you looking over your shoulder. I so much look forward to you putting her on the road so that we can all see this powerful machine move out.
Good luck,
Bill
The following users liked this post:
mrmj2u (09-09-22)
Old 09-09-22, 06:39 AM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
Marcus,
You have really put on a show with these pictures. I feel like I am right there with you looking over your shoulder. I so much look forward to you putting her on the road so that we can all see this powerful machine move out.
Good luck,
Bill
I'm excited to see that also! I hope things have been going well for you these days Bill!
Old 09-09-22, 09:47 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

Looking awesome Marcus! Over here in Denver rooting for you and can't wait to see you back on the road.
mrmj2u (09-09-22)
Old 09-09-22, 10:02 AM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Originally Posted by RudysSC
Looking awesome Marcus! Over here in Denver rooting for you and can't wait to see you back on the road.
Thanks Rudy!
Old 09-10-22, 03:33 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,244 Likes on 867 Posts

I love the creativity Marcus!! You've just given us another clutch master cylinder option for alternative transmission applications and, it seems, normal auto-to-manual swaps!

The progress is looking really good!!
The following 3 users liked this post by KahnBB6:
Bimmerbill (09-10-22), mrmj2u (09-12-22), RudysSC (09-12-22)
Old 09-12-22, 01:33 PM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I love the creativity Marcus!! You've just given us another clutch master cylinder option for alternative transmission applications and, it seems, normal auto-to-manual swaps!

The progress is looking really good!!
Thanks! I didn't come up with it myself though, I stumbled upon it online. I tried to install it and need to swap the pushrod back to the one that came with it. The only change necessary is to shave about 1/2 to 3/4" off of the tip of the rod to make it work.

Also got the aluminum one piece driveshaft and aluminum giubo installed.

Unfortunately I have not gotten the Cusco 1.5 way LSD into the 3.27 pumpkin yet, so that will be done later.

Ran out of time before I could complete the swap of the pushrods, so I'll have to pick that up this weekend!

Last edited by mrmj2u; 09-12-22 at 01:41 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by mrmj2u:
Bimmerbill (09-12-22), KahnBB6 (09-12-22), RudysSC (09-13-22)
Old 10-28-22, 03:50 PM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Hey Marcus,
Hope all is well with you and your family. I am looking for another update, and when you have it ready I will jump on it for sure. I have picked up some good tips from your build and I do appreciate it. And that brings me to my question. #5 in your thread you added some 1.8 Zener diodes to your flasher to get rid of hyper flash. My question, were these big enough or did you have to change to another number or were they too big?
As I have mentioned several times I have been put back since back surgery in January and finally am able to do a little on my car, which I take real easy. As soon as I hear from you, I will pull my taillights and install new LED lights. I do plan on changing the top from amber to red at that time.
Have you you wife made any plans yet about Huntsville? We could use you down here.
Best regards,
Bill
Old 10-28-22, 04:45 PM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Hey Marcus,
Hope all is well with you and your family. I am looking for another update, and when you have it ready I will jump on it for sure. I have picked up some good tips from your build and I do appreciate it. And that brings me to my question. #5 in your thread you added some 1.8 Zener diodes to your flasher to get rid of hyper flash. My question, were these big enough or did you have to change to another number or were they too big?
As I have mentioned several times I have been put back since back surgery in January and finally am able to do a little on my car, which I take real easy. As soon as I hear from you, I will pull my taillights and install new LED lights. I do plan on changing the top from amber to red at that time.
Have you you wife made any plans yet about Huntsville? We could use you down here.
Best regards,
Bill
Hello there Bill! We are doing well, but I have decided to sell my house and have been finding out how hard it is to work a full-time job and pack up a house... It doesn't help that our new house won't be ready until April and so we have to move into an apartment for 6 months... Oh well, these are good problems to have considering that I was able to sell my house in 4 days! We haven't made any further plans with our land in Huntsville. My wife isn't ready to make that move, so we are having a house built here in the DC area.

I'm glad that you are doing better! Surgery can be a bear on the body, especially as we age.
The 1.8 diodes did the trick! Nothing more needed for normal flashing lights.

As for my car, I did get the CMC setup correctly with the OEM SC rod end. That is all mounted up and the line is run. I event had a chance to tighten the union between the CMC line and the line that goes to the transmission. Once that union is tightened, I will be able to commence bleeding the clutch line.
I also started the process of flushing the power steering pump, but that won't be able to be complete until I get the engine started. Starting the engine will require a few parameter changes in the ECU which should not be too hard with the notes that I have.
I will also fill up the coolant once the engine is started and get that burped. Now that the house is sold, I really have to get a move on with that so that I can drive it to my friends house for the winter.
RudysSC (10-31-22)
Old 10-28-22, 05:09 PM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Hey Marcus,
It was good to hear from you so quickly. Glad everything is going your way with a new home on the horizon. You were so lucky to sell your home in four days. Homes are selling real well here but not that good. Well I hate it that you are not moving this way any time soon but I can live with that knowing you are OK and still coming along with the SC. Working on a car is like working on a house, in that you never actually finish one and it will wait on you and be there tomorrow when you get up.
I appreciate your answer to my question and will buy a couple on Monday. Take care of yourself.
Bill
RudysSC (10-31-22)
Old 11-08-22, 04:13 PM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Hey Marcus,
I guess you can tell I am back again. Like that bad penny always showing up.
One more question about the Zenner Diode. I can not find the ones I had bought previously, oh well what's new. I know that they were 1.8 v but what watt? I guess I will have to buy more tomorrow. Can you help me out on this or do I just load my old gun and shoot myself.

Thanks Marcus for any information you can shed on this NATIONAL EMERGENCY.

bILL
RudysSC (11-09-22)
Old 11-08-22, 04:53 PM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Hey Marcus,
I guess you can tell I am back again. Like that bad penny always showing up.
One more question about the Zenner Diode. I can not find the ones I had bought previously, oh well what's new. I know that they were 1.8 v but what watt? I guess I will have to buy more tomorrow. Can you help me out on this or do I just load my old gun and shoot myself.

Thanks Marcus for any information you can shed on this NATIONAL EMERGENCY.

bILL
Hey Bill! I’m always happy to help. Here is the post that I mimicked for the diode fix:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ml#post5470969

Let me know if that helps you out! 😄
RudysSC (11-09-22)
Old 11-08-22, 05:03 PM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Marcus,
As always, A BIG THANK YOU. Now I guess it is time to unload that old gun and put it away until the next NATIONA EMERGENCY.
Thanks Marcus,
Bill
Old 11-08-22, 06:08 PM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Marcus,
As always, A BIG THANK YOU. Now I guess it is time to unload that old gun and put it away until the next NATIONA EMERGENCY.
Thanks Marcus,
Bill
No problem at all!

Quick Reply: Marcus' '92 Build