Bast59 2008 ISF build thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-18, 08:16 AM
Bast59
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Bast59 2008 ISF build thread

Hi guys,

Decide to do a little build thread about my F. For the history, I'm in France and wanted to have a more powerful family car than my previous 330i E90, but it must be reliable, so the ISF was the best choice to go in holidays with wife and kid, and also go to the track !

So, I went in England because prices for cars are such more interesting than in France for same car ... Ok steering wheel is not on the good side lol.
And that's how a 2008 Dark Grey ISF arrives beside my 2004 IS300 (daily drive) and my 2006 GSX-R 1000.

I thought only do a few light aestetic mods, but it's impossible after reading all those build threads in the ISF section, so many of your F are crazy !!

The car already has Hayward & Scott exhausts, sound is amazing I love it ! Like it seems to be in good health (same performances than the 447ch prepared M3 E90 of my friend) I dyno'd the car, results are 413ch (engine) and 530Nm.

So, the day after, I put on the car the HPS intake silicone hose and AFE Pro Dry air filter I've ordered few weeks ago (thanks to the forum for all the informations about the differents intakes).

In the end of June, the primary cats will be gutted, the mid section of the stock exhaust will be replaced by a custom stainless steel with two silencers to reduce noise, because here most of the tracks are closed for cars which are more than 95db, and actually my F is at 90 ...
And after that, an engine software tune to finish.

For the aestetic, I have a Tom's replica diffuser in gloss black who is waiting, the front grill too will be in gloss black. And for the window trims, the Mini glossy black tape is ordered. Later, I think to put a front lip (or splitters, don't know yet), repaint brake calipers and get coilovers (BC with Swift springs or HKS).

I made a track day with friends

And I think about replace the stock brake lines by stainless steel braided lines because everytime after 10 or 12 minutes of driving, brakes begins to fade (I'm not sure of the word, the brake pedal was on the floor and braking was very soft, impossible to drive fast ...).
Do you think this upgrade of the brake lines is a good thing ?
I will do a purge with Motul RBF600 soon to begin.

(I sincerely apologize for all the mistakes)
Old 05-28-18, 11:21 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Congrats!

Best colour as well!

If you don’t want to be too tempted with further mods, stay clear of my build thread! Lol.

If you ever make it back to the U.K. let me know, hoping to do Le Mans with mine one year, amazingly versatile these cars as you’ve already found (family duties, track, dyno etc).

Glad to see another F finding a good home!

Enjoy, and keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers,

Pete
Old 05-28-18, 11:25 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Forgot to add, I’m pretty sure we have braided brakes lines as standard? I’m sure one of these guys will correct me though if I’m wrong?!?!

I’d say check your rotors and pads, might want to get a more track orientated pad over the OEM ones? For the odd trackday and regular road use, I was very happy with Hawk ceramic pads. They offer them for front and rear as well nowadays. Being ceramic, actually generated less brake dust than the OEM ones!

Good luck!
Old 05-29-18, 12:48 AM
Bast59
Driver

Thanks Pete

Too late, I've read your thread few days ago ... So awesome ! Your car is a beast

No problem, the same for you if you come in France
Never done Le Mans, but it must be a very great track.
Yes, they are "all in one" cars, with more reliability than other ones, perfect.

For the braided lines as standard I've read it here once, but they are owners who replace the standard by Stoptech ones, so it's not very clear, hope someone else can confirm.

For the brakes, yes it's OEM, and near brand new. But like you said, later want to get best pads, thought about the Project Mu HC+800 cause brake dust don't bother me at all. But keep the Hawk ceramic in my mind, thanks.

I also wanted to ask you Pete, you have the H&S exhaust too, but your exhaust tips are not the same, I prefer yours, they are more like the stock ones. Mines are smaller. They come from H&S ?

Cheers
Old 05-29-18, 09:27 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 689 Likes on 606 Posts

Awesome! Love seeing international F's!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 05-29-18, 10:29 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Thanks, mine has been a true labour of love, but folks like Josh at Meraki make it easier for us International F’er’s!

I do indeed have the H&S exhaust, but spec’d mine with oval tips with black ceramic coating. If you contact Ian at H&S, I’m sure he can price you up a set? Not sure if you want them ceramic coated? If so, that’s outsourced by H&S for an additional cost.

If you are ever stuck or need some advice, drop me a PM.

Happy to help.

Cheers,

Pete
Old 05-29-18, 02:39 PM
Bast59
Driver

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Awesome! Love seeing international F's!

-Josh
Thanks, unfortunately it's very rare to see a F here in France ... When I see all the F you have in USA, it sounds like a dream !

Originally Posted by PDP180180
Thanks, mine has been a true labour of love, but folks like Josh at Meraki make it easier for us International F’er’s!

I do indeed have the H&S exhaust, but spec’d mine with oval tips with black ceramic coating. If you contact Ian at H&S, I’m sure he can price you up a set? Not sure if you want them ceramic coated? If so, that’s outsourced by H&S for an additional cost.

If you are ever stuck or need some advice, drop me a PM.

Happy to help.

Cheers,

Pete
I imagine, and you can have the satisfaction to have the more powerful F in Europe !
Good to know for Josh and Meraki

Don't specially want to have ceramic coated tips, but yours are nicer than mines (they are more "flat oval" if I can tell this, but yours are more "round oval" like OEM ones), maybe at H&S they've changed of supplier. I will ask to him.

Thanks a lot for your help Pete
Old 05-29-18, 11:01 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Hey, yes, until someone can prove otherwise mine is the most powerful/tuned IS-F in Europe.

Makes all the hard work and copious amounts of cash spent seem more worthwhile! Lol.

H&S decided to develop round tips using my car as the guinea pig as it happens! They can offer you the same OEM oval style I have on mine, just ask them for a price for a set. Easy to change over as well (couple of screws and some wiggling!).

Best of luck with everything, and let me know if you ever need any help or advice.

Cheers,

Pete
Old 05-30-18, 12:02 PM
Bast59
Driver

Hey, yes, until someone can prove otherwise mine is the most powerful/tuned IS-F in Europe.

Makes all the hard work and copious amounts of cash spent seem more worthwhile! Lol.

H&S decided to develop round tips using my car as the guinea pig as it happens! They can offer you the same OEM oval style I have on mine, just ask them for a price for a set. Easy to change over as well (couple of screws and some wiggling!).

Best of luck with everything, and let me know if you ever need any help or advice.

Cheers,

Pete

When you're behind the steering wheel you must forget all this lol.

Contact H&S, and unfortunately then stopped the exhaust tips like oem ones ... They just keep the smaller ones, I'm sad
So I think to paint them in black later

Thanks for all Pete

​​
Old 07-10-18, 11:31 AM
Bast59
Driver

Hi all,

News on the F
Gutted primary cats and stainless steel custom mid-pipes, sound's amazing

And a full E85 tune, but not too aggressive, to be able to run 95 or 98 when there is no E85 on gas station

Old 07-10-18, 11:15 PM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Wow, those welds are a true work of art! Guy has done a stunning job there.

Car sounds good my friend, are you sure you will still pass sound checks for track use?!

Keep it up, coming along very nicely.
Old 08-11-18, 12:21 PM
Bast59
Driver

Wow, those welds are a true work of art! Guy has done a stunning job there.

Car sounds good my friend, are you sure you will still pass sound checks for track use?!

Keep it up, coming along very nicely.
Yes amazing welds, and job is life guaranteed ^^
Thanks ! We will see for the sound checks

Another little mods
Blacked-out window trims

Gloss black paint trunk emblems, new front grill (non PCS), emblem and grill surround. Also match painted the little bumper cover that I lost on the road ...

Front grill is still drying, can't wait to see the résult on the car.
Will paint front bumper lower grill, fog light covers and rear reflectors in gloss black too.

Find here in a thread a great key-ring, so ordered it

Also ordered RR Racing AOS and USRS, thanks to Simon for the great communication

AOS in place but don't have time for USRS today

Old 08-13-18, 12:14 AM
Bast59
Driver

Front grill and bumper cover in place

Old 08-13-18, 05:43 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Looking good my friend.

Who did your trim blackout? Looks like a pretty good job from what I can see in the photos.

What else do you have planned for it?

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Pete
Old 08-13-18, 07:56 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts

Awesome build, and beautiful colour just like mine

Those welds do look lovely.

For brake pads the Project Mu pads are amazing compared to the OEM ones. Now I'm not sure how they'll do on track days after several laps but they do bite down much better than OEM and slightly less brake dust.

I've had the 400 and 800 series and both are great pads. I'd recommend you look into the Figs 2-piece rotors as well, they are pricey but worth the money.

Quick Reply: Bast59 2008 ISF build thread