Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

The Executive Resto - Nov 97 GS300 (re)build

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-18, 06:42 AM
1JAYZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default The Executive Resto - Nov 97 GS300 (re)build

Primarily I’ll be using this as a reference point for myself to keep track of mods and repairs I’ve carried out, but everyone else can follow my progress at the same time. Given I have only just decided to compile this build, below is a brief summary of the story so far along with an itemised list of work carried out to date that will get updated periodically.

When I picked it up (Nov 2016)

How it currently sits (June 2018)

Picked up this pretty neglected example in November 2016 after watching the price drop and drop to the point I made the snap decision to drive an hour away and cut a deal and drive it back in the same day. The aim of this would be a quick light restoration project and then keep as long term weekend cruiser, primarily build for long distance trips.

Boy was I wrong about the first part.

Completely stock, no service history whatsoever but mechanically it all seemed to checkout and sound healthy enough, no smoke or questionable noises. Initial observations once I had the time to properly go over it were;

- Paint was seriously in need of a proper wash and ultimately correction to see how bad it had got over the years
- Interior was absolutely filthy and require a serious clense to restore the colour of the carpets and seats to the factory cream/ivory along with removing the stale cigarette smell
- Definitely lacked power, nothing a few tanks of 98RON and fuel system cleaner+some spirited drives couldn’t fix though
- Suspension felt like a typical 19yr old car – worn and in need of a complete overhaul (this turned out to be a major item in the pursuit of my goal to make it enjoyable on the open road)

Current list of work carried out;

Exterior
- Faded rear driver fog light replaced
- Bonnet struts replaced
- Clear side repeaters (AE112 Corolla)
- Replaced driver side HID washer cover (yet to be painted)
- Re attached exhaust hanger
- Installed eBay generic boneless wiper blades
- 4500K LED parker bulbs
- 4300k GE HID low beam bulbs
- Window tint removed and re done (35% Front 15% Rear)
- Performed dual element/JDM/USDM brakelight mod on pre-facelift taillights - DIY - Dual element taillights
- Installed Inter Milano Voltec wheels (18x8 +30 F 18x9 +35 R)
- DIY paint correction (still far from 100%, suits respray) + touch ups performed
- Sourced new front lower door exterior wind seals
- Installed 01-05 Facelift taillights + dual element mod performed - DIY - Dual Element taillights
- Replaced front lower door seals - DIY lower door rubber molding replacement (with pix)

Interior
- Replaced cabin filter - DIY cabin air filter with LOTS OF PIX
- Dismantled and cleaned rear seatbelt buckle (was non functioning)
- Removed non functional hands-free phone kit
- Sourced drink holder separator
- Replaced worn shift **** with full woodgrain eBay
- Removed seats and scrubbed all carpet
- Replace steering wheel - Step by step removing steering wheel on 2GS
- Sourced OEM black floor mats
- Sourced original boot accessories (first aid kit, valet kit, spare wheel caddy, associated tools etc)
- Repaired rear drink holder (coin stuck)
- Performed AUX mod to factory non-Nav head unit - *DIY
* SIMPLE EASY NO FUSS AUX INPUT for factory headunit
- Replaced cluster surround with black part
- Sourced uncut centre console lower lid setion
- Restored leather on all seats and trim (clean and protect, no dye as yet)
- Dismantle and clean steering wheel tilt motor - Need help with telescopic wheel
- Install manual radio antenna extend/retract override switch - DIY - Antenna aerial manual extend/retract override switch
- Fixed SOME sunroof rattles (work in progress) - ANYONE has a moonroof clicking problem?
- Adjusted factory headunit gain levels - Programming the Pioneer Audio DSP in NAV GS400 NAV Cars

Engine/Transmission
- Dropped oil (7 Litres?!) and performed first oil change @192500kms
- Cleaned up bottom of motor due to excess oil seepage from overfilling
- Replaced air filter with Apexi Power intake panel
- Performed 200,000km service (Timing belt, water pump, tensioner, tensioner pulley bearing, front main and cam seals, spark plugs, aux belt, coilpack connectors)
- Transmission service performed, flushed fluid
- Power Steering fluid flush - DIY - GS300 Power Steering Flush (new and updated version with detailed pictures)

Suspension/brakes
- Febest front upper control arms
- Superpro Front castor/radius arm bushings
- Superpro Front lower control arm inner bushings
- Superpro Front + Rear sway bar D bushes
- Febest Front sway bar end links
- Genuine Toyota Front lower ball joint knuckles
- Genuine Toyota Front Inner + Outer tie rod ends
- Superpro steering rack mount bushings
- Genuine Toyota Front wheel bearings
- BC Racing BR Gold fully adjustable coilovers (10kg F 8kg R)
- RDA Front + Rear standard brake rotors
- Bendix GeneralCT front brake pads + RDA rear brake pads
- Painted calipers + added stickers
- Adjusted steering rack pre-tensioner to eliminate shudder (full breakdown of why here) - "The Shake" - My experience with the dreaded 60mph/100kmh steering wheel vibration

Misc
- Luxious Automotive Bentley style flip key - Luxious Auto
- Obtained OBD-II USB adapter to modify C-Best system settings and diagnostics - C-Best Settings for 98 GS300
- Changed unlock button to unlock all 4 doors at one click
- Sourced original leather user and maintenance manual wallet

A few items still on my list, will be added in here as I get round to them

Last edited by 1JAYZ; 06-11-18 at 04:17 AM. Reason: added PS flush link + changed thumbnail photo
Old 05-29-18, 04:32 PM
firelizard
Forum Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 366 Posts

Nicely cleaned up, looks good.

Also, great job getting all that done by reading up on things here, leading by example.
Old 05-31-18, 01:51 AM
1JAYZ
Driver School Candidate

Added a couple of my own DIY guides into the first post

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...de-switch.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...aillights.html

Next item on the agenda is looking at the A/C vent servo motors and attempting to fix the clicking
Old 05-31-18, 08:49 AM
LexusK
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 1JAYZ
Added a couple of my own DIY guides into the first post

Next item on the agenda is looking at the A/C vent servo motors and attempting to fix the clicking
Here you go: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...vo-motors.html
Old 06-13-18, 04:46 AM
1JAYZ
Driver School Candidate

Got this MY99 Australian sales leaflet in the mail today to add to the collection of minor details

Old 06-14-18, 09:11 AM
jlo0109
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome build! I've recently picked up a 1998 GS300 for the summer as summer heat in Dallas could get brutal. I am looking at a full suspension restoration in the near future and I quite like the list you have compiled. Do you mind share a little bit of your driving experience currently? how do you like the riding condition? Any major difference between before and after the setup? Thank you for the great info. Happy modding!
Old 06-15-18, 04:17 AM
1JAYZ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jlo0109
Awesome build! I've recently picked up a 1998 GS300 for the summer as summer heat in Dallas could get brutal. I am looking at a full suspension restoration in the near future and I quite like the list you have compiled. Do you mind share a little bit of your driving experience currently? how do you like the riding condition? Any major difference between before and after the setup? Thank you for the great info. Happy modding!
After everything I have replaced suspension wise, it is a night and day difference. From wallowy and noisy to firm and quiet. But above all else it is SMOOTH. Like Lexus intended it from factory. I have kept the height and settings sensible enough to sit nicely on the freeway but also able to carve up the corners if I feel like it (as nimble as these big cars can get anyway, its no Miata after all but holds its own) Its expensive and time consuming but if you're going to be spending alot of hours behind the wheel its all worth it