Search this Thread

Old 09-18-19, 06:45 PM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by vinyvin

Theres the space with the distributor

BOV spotted

I thought maybe run turbo guard until I have the money to upgrade to coils and redo the piping to make things fit better.
You’re going to have to add an aluminum pipe with a bend in it to hold your filter. That way you can probably get past the distributor. It’s just dangerous to run it without one in your environment. Hopefully you can figure something out.
Old 09-18-19, 07:25 PM
vinyvin
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmj2u
You’re going to have to add an aluminum pipe with a bend in it to hold your filter. That way you can probably get past the distributor. It’s just dangerous to run it without one in your environment. Hopefully you can figure something out.
With how much space the bov and distrubutor leave me. No filter of anysize would fit not even the stubby K&N or mushroom filters. It seems Im going to have to use a screen, save some money, drive it rarely, and upgrade to coils or something.

Theres also going the Electric fan route and using that space for a filter but idk. Kinda at a brick wall here.
Old 09-30-19, 09:21 AM
vinyvin
Driver

Default Update time!

Hey all! So, we got issues. Not bad issues just expected issues. Its the trans. My poor lil auto isnt taking the 264hp that well so I will be babying the car for some time until I can afford an R154 swap. I do have the TT auto still but it seems that to install it is going through hell and back plus I couldnt find much info on doing said swap. Also for those concerned about the no filter situation, we are looking into fixes. Seems like we will move the BOV location, and have a 15° silicon coupler going to a long K&N custom filter.

Thanks for reading!
Old 09-30-19, 03:43 PM
vinyvin
Driver

Gentlemen. It seems I shall be going to coil on plug very very soon. I have a brand new distributor so i will stick with it and just pick up some plugs from an IS300. Any and all advice as always!
Old 10-01-19, 05:28 PM
mrmj2u
Advanced

You can keep your distributor with the cop setup. Just pull off the cap and rotor and put a cover over it. Then your ECU will use the distributor to detect crank position and you can set timing.

That’s how mine is setup:
Old 10-02-19, 12:27 AM
vinyvin
Driver

You can keep your distributor with the cop setup. Just pull off the cap and rotor and put a cover over it. Then your ECU will use the distributor to detect crank position and you can set timing.

That’s how mine is setup:
That is one nice exhaust manifold my friend. Also where did you get that cap? I was thinking of getting a driftmotion cover
Old 10-02-19, 03:35 AM
mrmj2u
Advanced

I 3D printed it
Old 10-02-19, 09:53 AM
vinyvin
Driver

I 3D printed it
3D printers are the future man we gonna start printing manifolds and stuff in our houses soon probably lol
Old 10-02-19, 03:06 PM
vinyvin
Driver

Default Manual Ideas

So since the auto is dying on me. I got 2 routes to take. Put the TT auto in, although it will probably be difficult since I can find barely any info on how to do it. Or look into a manual swap. If any manual were to be picked it would be the W58 since they are a third of the price of a R154 and are what came stock. Question is tho, are junkyards the only good place to find them? And would I be able to use a part list for a R154 swap? I assume the answer is no to the latter due to the R154 having differences in shifter location and driveshaft I assume.
Old 10-02-19, 03:18 PM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Originally Posted by vinyvin
So since the auto is dying on me. I got 2 routes to take. Put the TT auto in, although it will probably be difficult since I can find barely any info on how to do it. Or look into a manual swap. If any manual were to be picked it would be the W58 since they are a third of the price of a R154 and are what came stock. Question is tho, are junkyards the only good place to find them? And would I be able to use a part list for a R154 swap? I assume the answer is no to the latter due to the R154 having differences in shifter location and driveshaft I assume.
W58 will probably work for you, but it will break at power levels any higher than where you are at the moment. I wouldn't suggest that. Your cheapest route is to use the GTE transmission and add some transmission coolers to it like Gerrb is doing with his NA-T. Next best bet is to go R154, but that is going to be pretty expensive, most likely north of $3000 for all the required parts and you'll be running a 30 year old transmission... Last option is a CD009 swap... These can cost about $3000-$3500 also, but you'll have a newer 6 speed transmission with triple cone syncro's on gears 1-3 and it will handle more power (some say up to 1000hp).

Last edited by mrmj2u; 10-02-19 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-02-19, 06:54 PM
vinyvin
Driver

W58 will probably work for you, but it will break at power levels any higher than where you are at the moment. I wouldn't suggest that. Your cheapest route is to use the GTE transmission and add some transmission coolers to it like Gerrb is doing with his NA-T. Next best bet is to go R154, but that is going to be pretty expensive, most likely north of $3000 for all the required parts and you'll be running a 30 year old transmission... Last option is a CD009 swap... These can cost about $3000-$3500 also, but you'll have a newer 6 speed transmission with triple cone syncro's on gears 1-3 and it will handle more power (some say up to 1000hp).
I would do the GTE but the thing is the AEM v1 doesnt like controlling the auto. Plus theres very little guides on parts and stuff to even use the thing. The W58 should be good to handle around 3-400 HP no? And if it cant then thats fine, Im not going to be going higher in power for some time anyways.

Main things are to get the car on a good daily foundation and we are getting close to that. If we go the W58 route, it should make it easier to go to a different manual in the future. Plus I dont know how to drive stick that well yet so it would make a good leraning experience too!

So Mr.MJ, you think we could get away with using the W58 for sometime as it is the cheapest manual swap? To use the TT auto would require a seperate ECU since the AEM is being funky with the auto. Or do you think we should stick with using the TT anyways? If so could you link me some fourms on how to do the swap if possible? Appriciate it sir.

Thank you!
~Vince
Old 10-03-19, 12:14 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Vince,

My car is currently at a shop in Austin having my ATF built TT tranny put in. I'm also running a AEM-1. I'll keep you posted on what they are doing to get mine to work. I know it can
be done.

Shane
Old 10-03-19, 06:30 PM
vinyvin
Driver

Originally Posted by SSmith
Vince,

My car is currently at a shop in Austin having my ATF built TT tranny put in. I'm also running a AEM-1. I'll keep you posted on what they are doing to get mine to work. I know it can
be done.

Shane
Thanks shane I appriciate it!
Old 10-04-19, 02:50 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Guys , its not if it can be done , its how well it works via aem v1. alpha has tuned a few auto GTE for us down here and the auto don't seem to survive for long . The aem doesn't control line pressure well and pulling of timing between shift points needs to be precise . His Bandaid so to speak is to lower boost in first to second gear shift point then ramp in ..

This is why in supra world , most when running auto , go pro efi which really works like stock when tuned correctly on the auto

My suggestion if you really want GTE auto or auto ge (and the ge version can be fortified) is for GTE version use stock GTE ECU to control tranny piggy backed off aem v1.. too me too much headache hence one reason I switched to Manuel from day one ,furthermore , stick more fun with boost

Last edited by lexforlife; 10-04-19 at 02:55 AM.
Old 10-04-19, 08:17 AM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I've talked to him a couple of times already about line pressure issues. Worse case he has a V2 we will switch to put in the car that I know will work but still not optimum. I contemplated piggie backing the factory ECU also but didn't want to go that wrought. My Boost Logic built factory tranny lasted almost ten years before it gave out on 19 pounds of boost and running full line pressure. My car stays around 500 to rear wheels so I think it will be ok and I don't hammer on it all the time when I do drive it.

Switching to manual for me is not an option since I want to stay auto. I also don't want to get in to 3-5K worth of new engine management.

Shane

Quick Reply: Vince's NA-T college fun build