YannG's 05 Lexus LS430 Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-21, 02:51 PM
YannG
Intermediate

Received 155 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Ellesse
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-LS430...0AAOSwSxtdxac9

Yann is this your car they're using in this auction??
Yes it actually is - how strange!
Old 02-10-21, 11:22 AM
YannG
Intermediate

Default Update - troubleshooting Airlift

Hello all,

Quick update - I finally have a garage where I can work on my car and its awesome! I actually had to replace my front windshield AGAIN due to having another stone chip that turned into a large crack - I went with the same company as last time (Atlanta Glass Company) and requested the same technician as last time - Once again they did a great job and highly recommend them!

New Windshield:

Went ahead and got it tinted over at Oasis tinting shop - Highly recommend it, they did a perfect job!

Now comes the fun part! I've been experiencing some issues with my Airlift 3P system for a while now, mainly blowing 1 specific 30A fuse at random. The first thing I did was to replace the fuse holder as they are prone to failure:

After some investigation I noticed one of the compressor's air filter was loose and decided to tighten it carefully - big mistake as it broke clean off. I thought I would check to see if air was leaking out of the compressor filter ( which it shouldn't) and it actually was leaking air. At this point it could either be the SMC check valves leaking (which I replaced back in august) or a leaky/faulty compressor. Turns out air was actually leaking out of the front of the compressor filter.

Below is a picture of the other compressor filter, seems like its on its way out too!

Long story short - I took the compressor apart and noticed moisture had clearly got inside and started to rust some of the internal components. I managed to remove what was left of the filter's threads with some vice grips:

I also noticed that the seal around the compressor housing was actually too big and I think never actually fit snug from the factory? Regardless I contacted Viair and they are sending me 2 new seals free of charge. Has anyone seen this before? Can these seals stretch over time?

I've ordered 2 new SMC check valves - hopefully that will stop the leak!

All comments welcomed!

Yann.

Last edited by YannG; 02-11-21 at 07:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
pmesfun (02-11-21)
Old 02-11-21, 07:49 AM
YannG
Intermediate

Update - received the filters however, I still have to wait for the SMC valves!

Yann.
The following users liked this post:
pmesfun (02-11-21)
Old 03-03-21, 07:53 PM
styloren
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Just from a general observation: those seals either 1) look like their too big (like you said) or 2) not rated for the pressure that's being exerted on them from the compressor pump. Hopefully the new seals will be revised and be a better fit.
Old 03-22-21, 11:41 AM
YannG
Intermediate

Default Update - Back on the road!

Hello fellow CL Members!

Update - The car is back up and running !

I fitted the newly received compressor seals as well as fitted new SMC check vavles - The car is now back to normal with no air leaks from the compressor.

New seal:

New SMC check vavle:

Sunday wash - I love using the Foam cannon!

All clean (yes its raised up)

All Comments welcomed!
Yann.
The following 5 users liked this post by YannG:
Boomin (03-24-21), cqhall (03-22-21), Peteryun (12-01-21), pmesfun (03-22-21), Wlpls430 (03-23-21)
Old 04-12-21, 11:13 AM
YannG
Intermediate

Default Update - Gold Emblems

Hello CL members,

Quick update - I managed to get hold of some OEM gold Lexus emblems and decided to fit them on the LS - The idea being they would match the gold VS-XX:

Cutting the double-sided tape was super fun ...

Clean & shiney emblems!

OEM chrome ones:

I removed the badges using some dental floss, a heat gun and a prying tool - They all came off very easily without bending or cracking:

I used some Goo-Gone on the adhesive residue:

Followed by some rubbing compound on a microfiber towel, the paint underneath was spotless!

New gold badges (Yes the trunk is open):

New front badge - super easy to replace!

Thanks,
Yann.
The following 3 users liked this post by YannG:
cqhall (04-12-21), Getlowe415 (01-08-22), mavisky (04-12-21)
Old 04-12-21, 11:31 AM
mavisky
Pit Crew

Received 93 Likes on 45 Posts

Love the gold badges. I wanted to do this to mine so bad but not being able to replace the badge behind the PCS shield meant it was a no go for me.
Old 04-12-21, 11:59 AM
cqhall
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice.
Old 04-19-21, 08:45 AM
YannG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mavisky
Love the gold badges. I wanted to do this to mine so bad but not being able to replace the badge behind the PCS shield meant it was a no go for me.
Thanks Mavisky ! You can get the gold version of the PCS shield from yaj:

Originally Posted by cqhall
Very nice.
Thanks cqhall!
Old 04-27-21, 11:58 AM
mavisky
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by YannG
Thanks Mavisky ! You can get the gold version of the PCS shield from yaj:
Wouldn't the YAJ shield be a gold Toyota badge though? Not sure if i'm ready to buy in on the full Celsior swap just yet. We should get some of the ATL gang together for a dinner on 4/30 for obvious reasons.
Old 04-27-21, 01:40 PM
cqhall
Rookie

Wouldn't the YAJ shield be a gold Toyota badge though? Not sure if i'm ready to buy in on the full Celsior swap just yet. We should get some of the ATL gang together for a dinner on 4/30 for obvious reasons.
Sounds great, but even though I have my vaccine, we are still in a pandemic. Maybe later this summer.

I do want to setup some sort of gear swap with everyone within driving distance. Thoughts?
Old 04-27-21, 02:12 PM
Ellesse
Advanced

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Socially distanced coffee at a Starbucks parking lot or something maybe
Old 04-27-21, 02:43 PM
cqhall
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ellesse
Socially distanced coffee at a Starbucks parking lot or something maybe

I’m 2nd from the left:

Old 04-27-21, 03:23 PM
mavisky
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by cqhall
Sounds great, but even though I have my vaccine, we are still in a pandemic. Maybe later this summer.

I do want to setup some sort of gear swap with everyone within driving distance. Thoughts?
I'm not trying to through a college frat party here. Figured there's about 5 or 6 active LS430 owners I've seen on here max. Hell I've been to Florida a bunch and just spent a week in Michigan. My car club hosted a big carshow at the NMRA show at Atlanta Dragway. If you take precautions this pandemic is survivable, but its cool to play it extra cautious too. I don't have any parts to swap really but was more hoping to just chat with some fellow owners and see some builds face to face.
Old 04-27-21, 07:22 PM
cqhall
Rookie

I'm not trying to through a college frat party here. Figured there's about 5 or 6 active LS430 owners I've seen on here max. Hell I've been to Florida a bunch and just spent a week in Michigan. My car club hosted a big carshow at the NMRA show at Atlanta Dragway. If you take precautions this pandemic is survivable, but its cool to play it extra cautious too. I don't have any parts to swap really but was more hoping to just chat with some fellow owners and see some builds face to face.
The risk isn't worth the reward.

I've seen too much unnecessary and preventable death and suffering in past year to feel that it's worth it. Nothing personal.

We aren't done with this pandemic yet. This pandemic is far from over. I'm not relaxing. You do you, though.

Quick Reply: YannG's 05 Lexus LS430 Build thread