Sixbanger's non-ML audio slow and low(budget) stereo build

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-20, 09:02 AM
RU4Rhyl
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sixbanger
check post #47 on this thread
Thank you sir...that OEM Audio Kit looks like a pretty good upgrade too...just a bit pricey...
Old 04-23-20, 10:32 AM
sixbanger
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Yes, it does look like the OEM audio sub upgrade is an option https://oemaudioplus.com/product/lexus-is/. I know I looked at this when I first bought my car, but for some reason I thought they discontinued this model, but looks like you can still order it.
It looks like a good plug and play option for the subwoofer, but I would still suggest upgrading front speakers as well.

Old 04-26-20, 02:04 PM
RU4Rhyl
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I finally put the subs upgrade on thanks for the directions @sixbanger I noticed something though the subs take a bit of time to power up like if I blast music right off cold start I dont hear any bass coming from the subs but then after 10 mins of driving it comes alive and pushes...I find that weird what do you think?
Old 05-12-20, 07:33 PM
sixbanger
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RU4Rhyl
I finally put the subs upgrade on thanks for the directions @sixbanger I noticed something though the subs take a bit of time to power up like if I blast music right off cold start I dont hear any bass coming from the subs but then after 10 mins of driving it comes alive and pushes...I find that weird what do you think?
This is definitely not normal. I have seen subs do this in below freezing conditions, I have seen where the voicecoil wires on the speaker were long enough to touch each other, or possibly touching metal where the sub mounts, other ideas are a cut wire, defective sub, etc.... if the problem persists, probably best to start a new thread
Old 05-12-20, 07:40 PM
sixbanger
Pit Crew

New amp on the way! My old MTX amp will get re-purposed in my friend's boat.

Old 05-28-20, 09:06 AM
sixbanger
Pit Crew

Old 06-26-20, 04:48 PM
sixbanger
Pit Crew

Update: The audio control amplifier is performing great!

The added power and control has made a big difference. Not sure I'll ever put the decorative top cover on, since I am continually making little tweaks here and there.

I really like it and as hard as it was to drop the $600, it was worth it.

My thought process was that Audio Control has been an industry leader in utilizing factory system audio inputs forever and since I/we are stuck with the factory head unit, might as well make the best of it.

A little box bracing and added a terminal cup for easier removal. I could see/feel the box back panel flexing and did not want that to stop the enclosure from performing/sounding its best.

Last edited by sixbanger; 06-26-20 at 04:52 PM. Reason: add text
Old 06-26-20, 05:02 PM
sixbanger
Pit Crew

Sneak peek at what I am thinking for a box covering. Either directly on the box or on some kind of trim piece (magnet mounted?)

This particular one doesn't fit that great and has too much white in it, but you get the idea. It is an art print on canvas (ebay).

Old 07-02-20, 05:29 PM
sixbanger
Pit Crew

Maybe this instead......

The following users liked this post:
EvilJoker (07-08-20)
Old 07-08-20, 10:52 AM
4GS
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Holy audio Batman!!
The following users liked this post:
sixbanger (07-10-20)
Old 07-21-20, 07:08 AM
DarthLex
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any thoughts on this Mb Quart® Mb Quart® Discus Series 400-watt Shallow Subwoofer

Old 07-23-20, 05:15 AM
sixbanger
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DarthLex

Any thoughts on this Mb Quart® Mb Quart® Discus Series 400-watt Shallow Subwoofer

I can't say I have any experience with MBQuart subs. When I was an installer a million years ago, they were the brand to have. I think the company was purchased by Memphis or a company like that and they are no longer a higher end option, but somewhere in the middle.

That being said, the factory sub is beyond pitiful and this MBQuart sub will sound 100% better, similar to my cheap, used, Polk sub did. go for it!!!
Old 07-23-20, 02:47 PM
DarthLex
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sixbanger
I can't say I have any experience with MBQuart subs. When I was an installer a million years ago, they were the brand to have. I think the company was purchased by Memphis or a company like that and they are no longer a higher end option, but somewhere in the middle.

That being said, the factory sub is beyond pitiful and this MBQuart sub will sound 100% better, similar to my cheap, used, Polk sub did. go for it!!!
400 Watt Shallow Subwoofer (8), 400W Max, 200W RMS; Fits In Less Than 3.1 Depth; Dual 4ohm. Run parallel or in series?
Old 07-27-20, 05:15 AM
sixbanger
Pit Crew

definitely in parallel. Factory sub is 2 ohm. if you run in series, I don't think you'll get much output at all.
Old 08-18-20, 09:40 PM
Elara
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There were a few wire adapters listed and I'm not sure which one is the correct one to get. Thank you in advance!

Quick Reply: Sixbanger's non-ML audio slow and low(budget) stereo build