Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 4GS owner vehicles

2015 GS350 F-Sport Nebula Grey Pearl / Cabernet Simple Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-19, 10:20 AM
Selahvie
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Car looks great. Did you paint the grills matte black, is the Plastidip matte black? I sprayed my grills, SK a primer that was pretty much matte black and liked the look but my car is black and thought it would probably look better gloss black, grey and matte black is a really nice combo though.

Does it ride/handle any different with the spacers? Are you going to do anything with the AWD ride height or leave it?
Thanks! The grill is Matte black, and I will leave it that way. For Plastidip, you can get a glossifier to use as a final coat, and it's still easily removable, but I do like the matte look with Grey.

I have not noticed any difference in the ride quality with the spacers, but I imagine the handling at the limits would be a better overall due to the wider track (I haven't pushed it yet since installing). The only negative I have noticed with the spacers is that there is a tiny bit of rubbing at full lock on the steering. That might go away with 15mm on the front - not sure, but I like the way 20mm looks too much to switch.

I would like to do something with the ride height eventually - but not too much as I need some decent ground clearance for the Colorado snow. Note that it looks a bit higher in this picture as I had just dropped it off the jack - it rides a bit lower than that. About a half an inch of drop would be nice, though, but I am concerned about affecting ride comfort, as I really don't want to lose that. I haven't researched spring options yet, but I'm going to start digging into that to see what the AWD options are and if there are any with a mild drop in height that maintain ride quality. If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear about your experience.

Last edited by Selahvie; 02-04-19 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-04-19, 11:48 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Selahvie
Thanks! The grill is Matte black, and I will leave it that way. For Plastidip, you can get a glossifier to use as a final coat, and it's still easily removable, but I do like the matte look with Grey.

I have not noticed any difference in the ride quality with the spacers, but I imagine the handling at the limits would be a better overall due to the wider track (I haven't pushed it yet since installing). The only negative I have noticed with the spacers is that there is a tiny bit of rubbing at full lock on the steering. That might go away with 15mm on the front - not sure, but I like the way 20mm looks too much to switch.

I would like to do something with the ride height eventually - but not too much as I need some decent ground clearance for the Colorado snow. Note that it looks a bit higher in this picture as I had just dropped it off the jack - it rides a bit lower than that. About a half an inch of drop would be nice, though, but I am concerned about affecting ride comfort, as I really don't want to lose that. I haven't researched spring options yet, but I'm going to start digging into that to see what the AWD options are and if there are any with a mild drop in height that maintain ride quality. If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear about your experience.
I have a AWD too, wish it was just a half inch lower or at RWD height because at some angles the high stance just ruins the look for me but I don't want to mess with lowering it because of cost and fears of ride quality/reliability of suspension parts afterward, I would only do a very mild drop, maybe just switch out RWD pieces if I ever do it but it has variable shocks so that presents some challenges with options.
Old 02-04-19, 12:38 PM
Selahvie
Driver School Candidate

That is so cool, did not even know that was possible, did someone say you could do that or did you just start messing with things and got it to work? With your setup are you able to play video files from your phone through the nav/vid screen?
I had not seen it done specifically, but since the GS already has a composite A/V input built in to the center console, I just used what I knew was available on the market to convert HDMI (AppleTV's output) to composite (the GS's input). The only unknown to me before trying this was whether Airplay would work correctly with the AppleTV connected to the phone's hotspot, but it works just as I hoped it would. So yes - You can play videos wirelessly from the phone to the nav screen through its A/V input with this setup. Depending on the app, you can use either Airplay (preferable when it's supported) or by mirroring your phone screen. I'm hoping to take and post a real-world video to demonstrate how this works in practical application for those who are wondering about the functionality.
Old 02-04-19, 12:49 PM
Selahvie
Driver School Candidate

I have a AWD too, wish it was just a half inch lower or at RWD height because at some angles the high stance just ruins the look for me but I don't want to mess with lowering it because of cost and fears of ride quality/reliability of suspension parts afterward, I would only do a very mild drop, maybe just switch out RWD pieces if I ever do it but it has variable shocks so that presents some challenges with options.
I'm in exactly the same boat. Comparing the spec sheets reveals a 15mm (.59 inch) difference in height between the RWD and AWD models. That would be perfect in my opinion. I would love to find out if it's possible to switch out springs/components for a RWD car to the AWD to get that slightly lower ride height.
Old 02-04-19, 01:22 PM
Selahvie
Driver School Candidate

20% tint is installed! I love how it looks. Now I HAVE to blackout the chrome window trim to complete the look. It will bug me until I do...

The following 2 users liked this post by Selahvie:
GTGS350F (01-25-20), SC300Es (06-11-20)
Old 02-10-19, 08:26 PM
Selahvie
Driver School Candidate

Minor update.... I didn’t have time this weekend to do some of my other planned mods, but I did have just enough time to do the easiest, cheapest, and quickest mod ever... the red vinyl overlay for the amber tails. It literally took about 30 seconds each side and looks great. Less than 10 bucks and really cleans up the back end.
The following users liked this post:
GTGS350F (01-25-20)
Old 02-12-19, 11:39 AM
Selahvie
Driver School Candidate

I just hardwired my radar detector... got the mount and mirror tap cable from Amazon. I tapped into the rain sensor as others have done... about a 15 minute job since you have to remove the overhead console to get to the harness. Inexpensive and definitely worth it!
GTGS350F (01-25-20)
Old 02-17-19, 09:09 PM
Selahvie
Driver School Candidate

I finished blacking out the chrome trim with Plastidip today. Makes a huge difference in my opinion... and for not much money or effort!
GTGS350F (09-28-19)
Old 02-28-19, 05:27 PM
NoelRua
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Simple but very clean man, I wonder if your audio/video mod would work on android phones as well...
Old 03-03-19, 09:34 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

If you're interested in upgrading your infotainment, Check out GROM VL2. It is superior to all mirroring solutions IMO.
Old 03-07-19, 08:49 PM
mrmle03
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice ride! Digging the front lip.
Old 03-13-19, 05:50 PM
Selahvie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NoelRua
Simple but very clean man, I wonder if your audio/video mod would work on android phones as well...
It definitely would. You just put a chromecast device in place of the AppleTV in the signal chain.
Old 03-13-19, 05:53 PM
Selahvie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jdpdata
If you're interested in upgrading your infotainment, Check out GROM VL2. It is superior to all mirroring solutions IMO.
I’ve seen that and it does look cool, but I’m very happy with my setup. It works great and for a fraction of the price of the GROM unit. Plus, the Apple integration between my phone and the AppleTV is flawless.
Old 03-13-19, 05:55 PM
Selahvie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mrmle03
Nice ride! Digging the front lip.
Thanks! I’m digging it too!
Old 03-17-19, 07:28 PM
Selahvie
Driver School Candidate

I was finally able to paint my front calipers... the rears will have to wait for another weekend. You definitely want to have plenty of time set aside to do this and not rush the process. I’m happy with how they turned out.
The following 4 users liked this post by Selahvie:
GSXR7 (06-20-19), jdpdata (03-18-19), Neural0 (10-01-19), SC300Es (06-11-20)

Quick Reply: 2015 GS350 F-Sport Nebula Grey Pearl / Cabernet Simple Build