Old 02-07-19, 09:23 PM
STREET90
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Building my 2jzgte car

Hello fellow owners
I have a 2003 sport design bought it back in 2017

A little background story.
I've been wanting an IS300 since the 2006, but they were too new. My first car was 1990 toyota cressida, went a little crazy with it and swapped MK3 supra motor 7mgte in it, made it manual and pissing off muscle car owners ( also a ferrari 430) every where.

With very aftermarket support for the cressida. I wanted to upgrade to the IS, but couldn't afford too and didn't have the discipline to save up for one.

Fast forward to 2016 after several project cars, 240s, supras, a mr2, a van couple pickups and suvs. I decided it was time to go get one my dream cars.

This one popped up on offerup for 1800 (posted 15mins ago) Immediately contacted the owner with cash in hand to buy, didn't even negotiate the price.
Boy did she had some leaks, and whopping 218k miles. Drove it home the night of purchase and parked in the garage for a tear down and reseal.

I just never understand what goes through a person head when they put in all the effort to get to a problem and how to fix a problem

This is how it looked when I started.
x

When I resealed with OEM parts
even repalced the O-ring on the vvti gear.

Fast forward to 2018
Pretty much did some more work. Suspension konis shocks,figs control bushings and differential bushings.
After experimenting with certain engine treatments I managed to restore the compression on all cylinders (no oil added) cold engine 100% dry was doing a spark plug change and was just curious if the treatment works and it does.)

Believe it or not, the right picture was taken when I first got the car (2017) and the left was taken sometime in July 2018

Old 02-07-19, 09:34 PM
STREET90
Driver School Candidate

After running with these number I ran the as is for a while. Then I decided to step it up a notch. With being a 240k mile engine it was obvious that inevitable of internal leaking would occur. Was replacing the valve stem seals and noticed that the internals were completely covered carbon buildup and burnt oil decided to pull the head to clean up as much as possible.

While I had the head off I decided to port and polish the head

Last edited by STREET90; 02-09-19 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-07-19, 09:37 PM
STREET90
Driver School Candidate

After coilover upgrade and playing with the tune I prepped for the racetrack with new tires, toyomoto headers to megan downpipe, injen intake system, transmission cooler and HPS brakes.

Old 02-07-19, 09:42 PM
STREET90
Driver School Candidate

Post Track day
Old 02-08-19, 11:01 PM
STREET90
Driver School Candidate

This what I'm currently swapping in.

I regards to building one my dream cars, Wanted to go crazy on an IS300. I remembered back in 2006 when I fell in love with the import cars before youtube watching supras gap muscle cars. Always wanted to play with the 2jzgte and IS was the car I wanted to swap in.
After pretty much blowing the original engine at the track. I wasn't going to put another NA engine in it. Or even settle for just regular swap.

The GTE next to my other project, 1UZFE swapped pickup

Tear down began and short cuts were NOT taken at all, every single gasket, o-ring, and hose vacuum/coolant and including the valve stem seals were replaced with OEM toyota parts. Over $700 to reseal on company discount.

Old motor was pulled and engine bay cleaned to do the modifications necessary to swap in the engine. Still trying to figure everything out. Already cut the heater core lines, still have to relocate the ABS

I contemplate on what to use to for a transmission, I was going to use the IS transmission with a valve body upgrade than eventually run a Grannas T56 kit by the summer. But, decided to go with the CD009 6 speed with Collins adapter kit. $6000 vs $3000

Old 02-08-19, 11:08 PM
STREET90
Driver School Candidate

All my projects were inconspicuous (except the MR2 but somehow still surprise people) I leave no clues that they are modified, So I'm prepping the CXracing intercooler kit for the low key status. Keeping the stock muffler with a cutout just before it.

Night times do not slow me down

Removed the center console and automatic shifter to make room for the six speed

Got bored at some point, and decided to mock up the intercooling system to see how it should go on

Old 02-08-19, 11:17 PM
STREET90
Driver School Candidate

The collins technology CD009 adapter kit arrived

I have been playing with a couple of idea for my exhaust. At first i was going to go with the CXracing downpipe to another 3 inch exhaust pipe to a varex muffler.

With the now more reinforced exhaust laws in California, I had to re-think.
Still using the CXracing downpipe connects to the OEM catback part of the IS300 and OEM muffler and using my original cutout just before the muffler.

Then I thought about if I ran that setup just I did when NA, with headers and a megan y pipe connects to the OEM catback part of the IS300 and OEM muffler and using my original cutout just before the muffler. I remember I almost couldn't stand the stink from the exhaust especially when I my car started to burn oil. Eye burning

So with that thought, I decided to add a high flow catalytic converter. I relation to the pic below I'm going to place it in the same place as the third cat but just a few inches farther down the to make for a 3 inch cutout just before it. Should be enough room to tuck the cutout in the transmission well so no one will be able to see it.

Another idea I've currently working on is dealing with going between the sequential mode to Twin turbo mode on the switch (literally) I will share more details about it until I have something to show.

Old 02-10-19, 08:24 AM
SidewaysOK
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I going to be doing the same build, GTE with a Cd009. Keep up the good work
Old 03-16-19, 12:17 AM
Bempa
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great build! Does that interccoler setup fit in behind a JDM/Euro bumper aswell? As far as i understand the US got a little bigger bumpers?
Old 03-20-19, 09:17 PM
STREET90
Driver School Candidate

Battery location kit from CE Auto electrics.

Engine and trans united

There is very little space for this thing to fit with the stock turbos, Where the rear turbo was hitting the firewall.

Decided to spray the tunnel with under cover sound deadening .

This was the second attempt installing the engine.

370z trans was basically floor jacked into the tunnel. I hammered and rolled the tunnel as much as I can before the sheet metal will rip. But a 370z trans with speedo sensor will be touching the tunnel wall.

Full 3 inch down pipe. direct bolt on.

Old 03-21-19, 02:58 PM
Hodgdon
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking good! Keep up the good work!
Old 03-23-19, 12:54 AM
Bempa
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

NIce work!
Old 03-29-19, 11:10 AM
STREET90
Driver School Candidate

Attempted to start the car after wiring it up and even jumping the two large pins on the gear indicator plug.
But no crank, checked back to my wiring notes and noticed that I was missing some wires in the EA1 plug for the neutral safety switch back to the drawing board any ways hope to fix the issue tonight and have this car roar the first time in 6 months.

Was not satisfied with my brake line bending job for the abs relocation. So I went ahead and purchase relocation kit from finishing lines to clean up the mess.

TiAL bov

Last edited by STREET90; 03-29-19 at 01:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Firstang01 (09-20-19)
Old 09-20-19, 04:17 PM
Firstang01
Driver School Candidate

Any updates on the build?
The following users liked this post:
GrizzlyMan (05-03-21)
Old 09-22-19, 12:30 PM
bmwteaser
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, nice! Is this gonna be just track, cause, well you are in Kommiefornia like me?

Quick Reply: Building my 2jzgte car