Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 3IS owner vehicles

AtomicAWD's IS350 F-Sport+ Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-19, 12:51 PM
AgentZer0
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
Scraping hasn't been the issue, but the BANG from hitting sharp ruts so I have to approach them more slowly. I have scraped a couple of times, but when I felt under the lip afterwards it wasn't rough, so I suspect it could have been the two diffuser pieces in front of the tires, as they are still lower.

The lip is definitely low though, I think just 5.5" from the ground now. More nervous approaching taller speed bumps but so far so good, it's just the sharp incline/declines. In my (also gently) lowered Civic the mudflaps would always scrape when going over speed bumps, but mine haven't at all.
Nice! I don't think i've had that issue just yet, I've only been lowered for a couple days now so time will tell!

Heyyy nice got any pictures? I also have a lowered RSX.
Old 06-18-19, 04:02 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by AgentZer0
Nice! I don't think i've had that issue just yet, I've only been lowered for a couple days now so time will tell!

Heyyy nice got any pictures? I also have a lowered RSX.
Of the Civic? Heh, it was a 1985 1500S, from new! Longggg gone but as I recall we reversed the front torsion bars and maybe cut rear springs. Wasn't major, just enough to even the gap as I put rims on it which stretched out the tires and resulted in a yawning fender well.
Old 06-18-19, 07:31 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

She's was sitting pretty even and level today...

The following 2 users liked this post by AtomicAWD:
cliffhokie (06-21-19), KYLexusMkr (06-20-19)
Old 06-19-19, 11:29 PM
Maxxxx
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Keep me posted when you have them vibrant resonators put in, would really like to see how it goes
Old 06-20-19, 09:26 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Default Alignment

Got oil and brake fluid change done earlier this week, and alignment done today. That means servicing is done, so back to more mods shortly

Don't know much about them, but alignment numbers seemed to be pretty good. All toes turned from negative to positive. Rear camber under -2, with rear Half Downs and even before alignment.

Been a bit concerned since seeing all the double-sided tape residue inside my rims, which would indicate previous balancing weights, which would indicate previous set(s) of tires. It did come with a new set of Turanzas when I got it at 61,000kms and it has 68,000 now, but no idea if that was the only change made. With the new bushings and alignment I can hopefully rest easy on these and all future tires for their normally-expected lifetime.

Old 06-21-19, 08:20 PM
cliffhokie
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

honestly, you're not getting enough thanks for going through the trial and error of testing this combo out and doing what RSR should have figured out (it looks better than their own setup). It looks EXCELLENT! I'll be testing this combo out on my non-Fsport. Thanks again!

How's the ride?
The following users liked this post:
AtomicAWD (06-21-19)
Old 06-21-19, 10:57 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Thanks m8, but just glad that it worked out well, and I think fairly close to exactly how it would from the research we did. Downs alone wasn't quite right, and the rear Halfs made it so. Odd part though is that mexicanzer's Half fronts balanced his out whereas mikelucci's Halfs did not, the only difference being the latter's is F Sport. Will be interesting to see how they do on yours to see if they get the same result.

Ride is fine. Normal driving no real difference, just when you hit ruts or sharp drops/rises you have to take them slower otherwise the suspension gives much more of a bang. I haven't nor I do normally drive it hard especially into twisties considering 90%+ of my driving is in the city. Perhaps a little less "swimmy" when going over speed bumps, but not a whole lot. Was fortunate too, to get the parts for actually less than buying a full set new.
Old 07-13-19, 08:13 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Default Roof and side chrome wrap, detail

Time to get the wrapping done. Had the roof, antenna, and side chrome done in Avery gloss black. Also had the installer do a full detail on the car, removing the original 3M clear bra materials which had started to yellow and were also showing outlines.

Just got it back but am pleased so far; it's a good contrast and the car doesn't look too "blacked-out". Leaving the front grill trim and rear emblems as I prefer having that chrome still, keeps it looking near-stock. Will look into possibly tinting the rear window to better match its trim and the roof.

But first, and up next: rear window spoiler
Old 08-26-19, 04:38 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Default Exhaust mods

Next up was a couple tweaks to the exhaust -- tips and resonators.

First, the crooked left tip was annoying and since it had to be cut and re-welded, figured I might as well get tips I liked better. Second, the Tsudo resonators are tiny and have a fair bit of rifling, which is okay if you want it quite loud and such but I want to keep it sounding reasonably refined. The solution was 18" Vibrant 1793 resonators.

They are a straight-through design with little resistance, and while they are the same physical diameter, they have 2-3x the length of the Tsudos, so not only modulate the sound better but also provide some more volume dampening. The first day they were significantly quieter, but now after a few weeks they are probably about 75% of the loudness of the Tsudos. The sound is smoother, but surprisingly not a great amount. That's just from the inside though, as some clips from the outside are upcoming.

While I like this style of tip better, I have found an advantage of the rolled ones -- they stay cleaner-looking and shinier longer. Because of the rolled tip, the edge remains shiny for the most part, whereas with the angle-cut, the soot ends up going right out to the edges and they end up looking like single-wall.
Old 08-26-19, 05:19 PM
BrettKA7
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I’m not sure if it’s the color of the spacers but the rear fender flares look so perfect on this car. I think I prefer my Nebula IS overall but if Nebula wasn’t available, I’d for sure have Atomic Silver. It shows off the lines beautifully.
Old 08-26-19, 05:35 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BrettKA7
I’m not sure if it’s the color of the spacers but the rear fender flares look so perfect on this car. I think I prefer my Nebula IS overall but if Nebula wasn’t available, I’d for sure have Atomic Silver. It shows off the lines beautifully.
Have to admit, it really is a nice colour. Indoors it looks charcoal or even silver lining metallic, and outdoors it's everything from a dark silver to deep sandy when the sun is lower. And depending on lighting, different shadings appear on the body panels as well.

Not that it's the only colour like that either. Lexus seems to put some real quality into their paint, and not just application but the actual colours themselves. It's something other premium-priced manufacturers like Tesla could apparently learn from.
Old 02-28-20, 07:59 PM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 193 Posts

I love your car and how detailed your posts and updates to the thread have been! Good stuff man! Anything new lately?
momak (03-26-20)
Old 02-28-20, 08:27 PM
GR3Y5H3ART
Lead Lap

Received 102 Likes on 75 Posts

love the Red Calipers with White F Sport logo...i want to do the same thing on my Dark Grey IS350 AWD and seeing how yours turned out...definitely will be going this route
Leo7 (08-16-21)
Old 02-28-20, 10:25 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by whoismiked
I love your car and how detailed your posts and updates to the thread have been! Good stuff man! Anything new lately?
Thanks so much, hope it's helpful! Ashamed to admit, I got the rear window spoiler in August and it's still sitting in my living room. I did go out and buy stronger tape though, so it's inching closer to getting put on...

Once the weather improves, I want to get a recording of the exhaust with the Vibrant resonators. Curious to hear how it sounds from the outside.
Old 02-28-20, 10:29 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GR3Y5H3ART
love the Red Calipers with White F Sport logo...i want to do the same thing on my Dark Grey IS350 AWD and seeing how yours turned out...definitely will be going this route
Yeah, the red looks great against most colours, but especially our grey/silvers imo. I really liked the F Sport blue as well, but couldn't find it in spray.
GR3Y5H3ART (10-01-20)

Quick Reply: AtomicAWD's IS350 F-Sport+ Build