Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

97 SC300 - silentbob

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-21, 01:29 PM
silentkill
Advanced

Received 225 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by SC_coupe
Looking very nice! Interested to hear your impressions of the 1.5 Super Q and stongflex bushes as well. Ordered the same ones but have not gotten around to install. For the rear diff bushings, did you need a press to get them in? Or mallet, grease and some 'finesse'?
You have to use the removal tool in reverse to install them. There's no way they are popping in there lol.

Just for future note if it helps anyone, the stock bushings have to come out from the rear of the subframe, and the new bushings have a larger lip on one side that also faces the rear.
The following users liked this post:
SC_coupe (02-24-21)
Old 02-23-21, 07:01 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Received 327 Likes on 253 Posts

Hey Bob,
You mentioned a tool for the diff rear bushings. Is that the Powerhouse Racing tool or is there another one being sold?
Thanks,
Old 02-23-21, 07:08 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
Hey Bob,
You mentioned a tool for the diff rear bushings. Is that the Powerhouse Racing tool or is there another one being sold?
Thanks,
I used the PHR tool yeah, im not aware of any others on the market.
Old 02-26-21, 08:55 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Picked up a new GE for a direct swap spare that i will leave on the stand. It's a 1997 with 96k miles, one owner car.

I'm selling the other two engines i have because they'd take too much work to swap in and support the power. Took the GTE rods/pistons out of the one block going to be selling those separately.

So for the moment i have 4x 2jz's lol

Old 02-26-21, 09:29 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

That's an alright view if you ask me
Old 02-26-21, 09:45 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Looks like you are trying to catch up with Gerrb
Old 02-27-21, 12:04 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

Your build AND workshop keeps getting more interesting! : )
Old 02-28-21, 11:23 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Can't say I'm too excited to find this in my oil filter.. the oil that came out of the pan was clean.

I think i will run it a bunch more and pull the filter and check it again and see if this was just some residual stuff or what.

Old 03-01-21, 07:20 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

How many miles on the fresh motor? I'm not horribly surprised to see a bit in there... I'd probably be with you - fresh oil, filter, run it for a bit, and see what you find (fingers crossed nothing).
Old 03-01-21, 07:28 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Originally Posted by RudysSC
How many miles on the fresh motor? I'm not horribly surprised to see a bit in there... I'd probably be with you - fresh oil, filter, run it for a bit, and see what you find (fingers crossed nothing).
It's not a fresh motor, 100k GE but it's been apart a LOT over the last year so who knows. 300 miles on it.

My only saving grace was like 99% of the oil was clean coming out and that was only in the filter so we'll see how it turns out.

my only thought really is because i ran this head on the other block with no oil pressure it generated some shavings somewhere? idk grasping at straws.

also changing the filter on this car sucks with the FFIM, i have to either take the battery out or reach my hand all the way underneath the car to get to it.

Last edited by silentkill; 03-01-21 at 10:26 AM.
RudysSC (03-02-21)
Old 03-02-21, 09:55 AM
KahnBB6

It might be a good idea to get a Blackstone oil analysis done... if it will see significantly more miles and oil top-ups between samples. That and I'd do a couple of full oil and filter changes within 500 miles or less of each other to see if you get the same coolant condition in the oil filter.

Hopefully it is not a leak at the head gasket.

You can also run one of those head gasket tester kits that have two cylinders (one on top of the other) filled with a special fluid that will turn to another color if there is a head gasket issue present.
Old 03-02-21, 09:59 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
It might be a good idea to get a Blackstone oil analysis done... if it will see significantly more miles and oil top-ups between samples. That and I'd do a couple of full oil and filter changes within 500 miles or less of each other to see if you get the same coolant condition in the oil filter.

Hopefully it is not a leak at the head gasket.

You can also run one of those head gasket tester kits that have two cylinders (one on top of the other) filled with a special fluid that will turn to another color if there is a head gasket issue present.
you think that’s coolant in the oil? It looks like there was some moisture in the engine from sitting that’s what I assumed that was on top in this picture. The car sat for months without starting during winter.
Old 03-03-21, 11:30 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by silentkill
you think that’s coolant in the oil? It looks like there was some moisture in the engine from sitting that’s what I assumed that was on top in this picture. The car sat for months without starting during winter.
On second look at your picture I think it would have to be run again for some miles with another oil inspection to be sure. You may be right about it just being moisture. Was there any indication before the car was stored that the oil looked suspect?
Old 03-04-21, 02:21 PM
yick99
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silentkill
Thanks! I was just looking at your thread, your **** looks super nice!

Heres another angle.
damm! Those wheel is sick , the best I have seen on a SC.
Old 03-04-21, 05:14 PM
silentkill
Advanced

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
On second look at your picture I think it would have to be run again for some miles with another oil inspection to be sure. You may be right about it just being moisture. Was there any indication before the car was stored that the oil looked suspect?
Nope looked fine before storage. I did have the valve cover off and noticed the rear lobes on the intake cam were surface rusty (right below the breather) so i think either i need to cap those when i store it or just start it more frequently.

They cleaned up after a start though. I have a blackstone test kit coming tomorrow so i'll run it some more, pull the filter and use that oil as a sample. I have a new filter for it too.
KahnBB6 (03-06-21)

Quick Reply: 97 SC300 - silentbob