Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

97 SC300 - silentbob

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-21, 08:16 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

Good approach man - I'm curious and have my fingers crossed for good results.
Old 03-05-21, 09:02 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Received 225 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by RudysSC
Good approach man - I'm curious and have my fingers crossed for good results.
i just looked up some sample reports and it looks pretty interesting actually. they'll give you a brief summary on the health of your engine based on the oil contents.
Old 03-06-21, 01:01 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

Blackstone is an amazing company. They started out doing oil analysis reports for the U.S. military and then branched into the market for semi truck engine oil analysis before offering their services to pretty much anyone. You can schedule a technician call with them as well to discuss what their findings suggest and they also can keep a history file on the engine you are sending samples in for which can better help pinpoint any abnormalities.

A couple of years ago I always made it a habit to send in an oil sample every so often to get a health status update for my then nearly 240k mile 2JZ-GE. Based a very early warning about a still unexplained coolant-in-oil condition they gave me (well before my new engine was even assembled and when I was still in California) I was able to keep that engine going reliably by changing the oil about every 500-600 miles to keep any potential damage at bay. Without their early warning I'd never have made the whole cross-country drive with that engine. It finally gave out three months after I'd arrived in Florida and after the teardown the same short block made a totally reliable 600whp for Gerry's NA-T build. I credit Blackstone's early warning and advice to keep changing the oil frequently for making that possible

It's $25 or so for each analysis but it's worth it if you need it. And you have to send the samples in with UPS or Fedex. USPS used to accept them and they are supposed to but in my experience most postmasters refuse since it's engine oil no matter how many well sealed and taped over containers within containers are used.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 03-06-21 at 01:06 AM.
Old 03-06-21, 06:23 PM
silentkill
Advanced

Ran it about 3-4 times for 20mins each up to temp, filled the filter with glitter again. Took my sample from the filter (probably not the best place but easiest for me to do) and ill send it on Monday and see what happens.

Old 03-07-21, 11:01 AM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks for the info on the press and bushing removal, didn't look like it would be easy as I hoped. I'd agree that the milkyness in the first pic would be due to sitting and moisture if no coolant is detected, have seen the same in my oil after it sits for 3-4 months without starting. The metal particles are concerning, I can't recommend Blackstone labs enough. Hopefully the results confirm what's wearing.
Old 03-18-21, 08:14 AM
silentkill
Advanced

here's the summary from blackstone:
We're not seeing obvious signs of engine damage or poorly wearing parts. Our spectrometers read microscopic metals in parts per million, so larger pieces of metal may not show up in our tests. 2JZ-GE averages are based on a ~5,200-mi run and metals look fine next to those, but this oil was only in use 1 hour so technically we can call metals "high" for such a short interval. Still, there's nothing immediately concerning in this data. Do watch for any changes in the visible metal you're seeing and seek inspection if you're experiencing operational issues, though.
Old 03-18-21, 12:09 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Well, as the late great master used to say, "when in doubt, flat out!"

I'm tempted to tell you to keep running that bad boy and cross your fingers. But, of course at the risk of having a serious issue... but if that's the case, either way you're looking at a tear down or replacement.
Old 03-18-21, 12:13 PM
silentkill
Advanced

Well, as the late great master used to say, "when in doubt, flat out!"

I'm tempted to tell you to keep running that bad boy and cross your fingers. But, of course at the risk of having a serious issue... but if that's the case, either way you're looking at a tear down or replacement.
yeah not really a conclusive result but at least its not a bad one?

I have a spare engine so i dont reallyyyyy care but my turbo was like $2300 so i don't want to ruin that. Maybe ill buy an inline filter for it.

in other news, i might be buying a 500hp c6 corvette and putting the lexus in the corner for a bit lol
Old 03-19-21, 07:12 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

I was thinking the same thing after I posted that... Toasting a GE motor isn't the end of the world but a pricey turbo would sure suck to lose...

Don't put it away for too long!! I love me a nice C6... but your SC is SO close to being an incredibly nice, well sorted set up.
Old 03-19-21, 07:19 AM
silentkill
Advanced

I was thinking the same thing after I posted that... Toasting a GE motor isn't the end of the world but a pricey turbo would sure suck to lose...

Don't put it away for too long!! I love me a nice C6... but your SC is SO close to being an incredibly nice, well sorted set up.
should i just take the turbo off and run it for awhile rofl

yeah for sure ill definitely finish the old girl but i need somewhat of a break from banging my head against the 2jz wall lol
Old 05-11-21, 05:58 PM
silentkill
Advanced

I didn’t give up boys!!

engines almost out, just need to clean up the new one and swap em out!

Old 05-12-21, 09:14 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Glad to see it!! Saw you on IG and figured you were back at it. Good luck - can't wait to see it come together!
The following users liked this post:
Bimmerbill (05-13-21)
Old 05-26-21, 03:08 PM
silentkill
Advanced

Old 05-27-21, 07:51 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Whaaaaaaat?!
Old 05-27-21, 08:40 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Whaaaaaaat?!
same engine dont worry just made an update video lol

Im pulling it this weekend and will dig into it.

Quick Reply: 97 SC300 - silentbob