Received 225 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by RudysSC
Ok, ok, I won't panic haha!
if i blow another motor it's getting parted or getting an LS lol
Old 05-28-21, 07:15 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

LOL I don't blame you one bit man. Super frustrating. That car is so good, it's got so many nice parts, I feel like it's so close to being a really great set up. Got my fingers crossed for you!
Old 05-30-21, 11:56 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts

This is very sad news!! You were so close to having that engine dialed in and ready to go. Glad you have a second engine to swap all the good parts over to. You could keep the current long block with shavings in it as a future build engine again (following a full teardown and sonic cleaning of all the parts). I know you'll have good luck with this second donor block despite the extra time it will take you. It seems so random though-- any idea what might have lead to the shavings?

Aside, that's a beautiful Corvette you picked up!
The following users liked this post:
Bimmerbill (05-31-21)
Old 06-13-21, 09:26 PM
silentkill
Advanced

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
This is very sad news!! You were so close to having that engine dialed in and ready to go. Glad you have a second engine to swap all the good parts over to. You could keep the current long block with shavings in it as a future build engine again (following a full teardown and sonic cleaning of all the parts). I know you'll have good luck with this second donor block despite the extra time it will take you. It seems so random though-- any idea what might have lead to the shavings?

Aside, that's a beautiful Corvette you picked up!
not sure I took it apart and didn’t find anything of concern.. either way using the new engine. Almost have it ready.

painted the block today
gte head gasket
arp studs

need to finish up installing cams, tbelt, front seal and transmission stuff and it’ll be ready to go.

getting a harness built to just clean it up, not happy with mine.

Also plan on cleaning out oil lines.

Old 06-14-21, 03:39 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Received 327 Likes on 253 Posts

Progress marches on and I can't wait to see more.
Old 06-14-21, 07:11 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

I'm with Bill - it's too bad you had to go through all of this but I still think it'll be worth it once this thing is fully sorted and can live up to it's potential!!
The following 2 users liked this post by RudysSC:
Bimmerbill (06-14-21), KahnBB6 (06-16-21)
Old 06-14-21, 07:13 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Originally Posted by RudysSC
I'm with Bill - it's too bad you had to go through all of this but I still think it'll be worth it once this thing is fully sorted and can live up to it's potential!!
I just want to see it beat the corvette haha. I think it will with 600+ hp.

On a brighter note, this new engine is SO clean inside, much cleaner than my original 100k engine and this one i believe has 96k. Must have been taken care of pretty well.
Old 06-15-21, 01:22 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Received 327 Likes on 253 Posts

I love people with a direction in life and you most surely have one. Keep up the good work.
Old 06-15-21, 08:35 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
I love people with a direction in life and you most surely have one. Keep up the good work.
I'm glad it appears that way, because I'm just winging it lol.

Cams, water pump, and water pipe installed. Waiting for the front main seal, and FIPG to come in the mail.

Anyone have a suggestion for installing the front main, pick up a piece of pvc or what?
Old 06-16-21, 06:58 AM
madmax98
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by silentkill
not sure I took it apart and didn’t find anything of concern.. either way using the new engine. Almost have it ready.

painted the block today
gte head gasket
arp studs

need to finish up installing cams, tbelt, front seal and transmission stuff and it’ll be ready to go.

getting a harness built to just clean it up, not happy with mine.

Also plan on cleaning out oil lines.

Great job persevering... Crap will happen (and did happen).
A suggestion: Get rid of that bulky oil filter mount and replace with a block adapter instead. This will remove flow restrictions, and still enable you to mount your filter remotely, which will really clean up this area under the manifold (as I recall you're going for front facing). That area will become crowded quickly.
That's what I did and it made a big difference. I also used a big oil filter to reduce any more restrictions in the lubrication system (I think it was Mobil M101 or M103... big boy filter). My GTE squirters can use all the pressure they can get lol
Old 06-16-21, 07:12 AM
madmax98
Instructor

When all said and done (ready to start engine), disconnect the turbo oil feed line and put in a plastic bag, then crank the engine with the Fuel Injection Fuse removed. If the engine builds pressure, you'll see oil going in the bag... SUCCESS: You just verified that your oil lines routing is correct as well as oil pressure is there.

This little time I took saved me a built engine. When I did all my oil lines routing and remote oil filter, I had bought a block adapter from Earl's that had the wrong markings on it (IN & OUT). I followed the markings on the adapter and didn't get any oil. I then used an oil accumulator (accusump) to pressurize the system and still didn't get any oil, so I knew my lines were wrong. I switched the lines and voilaaaa.... oil everywhere hahaha...
Depending on your clearances and whether you have squirters or not, you may have to start the engine (cranking won't cut it). I had to start mine to see pressure. But it literally took less than a second (like "one one thousa..... 80 PSI pressure).

Anyways... goodluck and let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by madmax98; 06-16-21 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Spelllling?
Old 06-16-21, 07:23 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Originally Posted by madmax98
When all said and done (ready to start engine), disconnect the turbo oil feed line and put in a plastic bag, then crank the engine with the Fuel Injection Fuse removed. If the engine builds pressure, you'll see oil going in the bag... SUCCESS: You just verified that your oil lines routing is correct as well as oil pressure is there.

This little time I took saved me a built engine. When I did all my oil lines routing and remote oil filter, I had bought a block adapter from Earl's that had the wrong markings on it (IN & OUT). I followed the markings on the adapter and didn't get any oil. I then used an oil accumulator (accusump) to pressurize the system and still didn't get any oil, so I knew my lines were wrong. I switched the lines and voilaaaa.... oil everywhere hahaha...
Depending on your clearances and whether you have squirters or not, you may have to start the engine (cranking won't cut it). I had to start mine to see pressure. But it literally took less than a second (like "one one thousa..... 80 PSI pressure).

Anyways... goodluck and let me know if you have any questions.
Oh i know lol. I went through an oil pressure fiasco an engine ago. I have a pressure sensor and i crank it with everything unplugged until i see pressure before starting it. I go the extra mile and prefill the oil cavities in the block too.
Old 06-16-21, 08:34 AM
madmax98
Instructor

Originally Posted by silentkill
I'm taking the car down to sound performance in spring, still haven't figured out why 3&6 are fouling.

Starts up and runs pretty well though, any sort of load causing fouling on 3&6

https://youtu.be/lze6SAFGxgQ
Were you able to figure out what's wrong?
Old 06-21-21, 07:22 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Originally Posted by madmax98
Were you able to figure out what's wrong?
No idea im going to let sound figure that out if its still an issue.

Engine is SOOOO close! I'm getting the front seal in the mail today so i can do the timing belt and all that stuff, then it's down to the pan (using the clean one on the floor in the back there), rear main, clutch and transmission stuff.

I had a fun time getting the intake studs off of this one, the rear one came out like butter with a vice grip, the front one i had to get a stud extractor for.

Quick Reply: 97 SC300 - silentbob