Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

97 SC300 - silentbob

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-21, 07:23 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

So glad to see you not give up and making this happen!!
Old 06-21-21, 07:27 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Received 225 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by RudysSC
So glad to see you not give up and making this happen!!
This is the one! taking my stinkin time on it. Walk away when frustrated, all new orings/gaskets. Didn't touch the oil pump, prefilled the oil galley.

I ought to make a NAT checklist for dummy's like me after all this lol
The following 3 users liked this post by silentkill:
Bimmerbill (06-21-21), KahnBB6 (06-22-21), RudysSC (06-21-21)
Old 06-21-21, 08:04 AM
madmax98
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by silentkill
No idea im going to let sound figure that out if its still an issue.

Engine is SOOOO close! I'm getting the front seal in the mail today so i can do the timing belt and all that stuff, then it's down to the pan (using the clean one on the floor in the back there), rear main, clutch and transmission stuff.

I had a fun time getting the intake studs off of this one, the rear one came out like butter with a vice grip, the front one i had to get a stud extractor for.
Have you bench-tested the injectors or had them tested? Maybe the two fouled cylinders have bad injectors (flowing too much).
Old 06-21-21, 08:05 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Originally Posted by madmax98
Have you bench-tested the injectors or had them tested? Maybe the two fouled cylinders have bad injectors (flowing too much).
I swapped the offending injectors to different holes with no change in fouling.
Old 06-21-21, 08:09 AM
madmax98
Instructor

I swapped the offending injectors to different holes with no change in fouling.
Hmmm … This's going to come down to tuning/ECU or airflow/manifold. Hopefully it's a tuning issue, because that's a lot easier to deal with.
Old 06-21-21, 08:09 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Hmmm … This's going to come down to tuning/ECU or airflow/manifold. Hopefully it's a tuning issue, because that's a lot easier to deal with.
yeah i mean i went through every possible solution, i believe it leaves it down to the tune. I leak tested the intake and it was also fine.
Old 06-21-21, 08:15 AM
madmax98
Instructor

I see. I assumed you checked for leaks already. However I was referring to a situation where the airflow inside the manifold itself is suspect. What manifold is it?
Old 06-21-21, 08:18 AM
silentkill
Advanced

I see. I assumed you checked for leaks already. However I was referring to a situation where the airflow inside the manifold itself is suspect. What manifold is it?
Stock GE lower intake (1997) welded to a XS power FFIM.
Old 06-21-21, 08:33 AM
madmax98
Instructor

Stock GE lower intake (1997) welded to a XS power FFIM.
Yeah... Looking at online pictures of the manifold (basically a constant-diameter tube welded to runners), these are not the greatest when it comes to airflow. The stock GTE had a similar concept, but "similar" in fluid flow can be really different. Toyota had the resources to make sure their shape is sufficient. Air mass distribution to each runner can be all over the place, hence the fouled plugs (I'm assuming your ignition is ruled out).
Tuning can still deal with this by adding individual cylinder compensation (in this case (-) fuel percentage on cylinder 3 &4). Just not an ideal situation.
Old 06-21-21, 08:35 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Yeah... Looking at online pictures of the manifold (basically a constant-diameter tube welded to runners), these are not the greatest when it comes to airflow. The stock GTE had a similar concept, but "similar" in fluid flow can be really different. Toyota had the resources to make sure their shape is sufficient. Air mass distribution to each runner can be all over the place, hence the fouled plugs (I'm assuming your ignition is ruled out).
Tuning can still deal with this by adding individual cylinder compensation (in this case (-) fuel percentage on cylinder 3 &4). Just not an ideal situation.
yeah i had thought this might of been the case. Not many options for a great intake on a GE that i can see aftermarket wise. Sleeperdesigns? Plazmaman?
Old 06-21-21, 08:57 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

lots of people have run those intakes for years with no issues including myself, unless something is wrong with the welding it should be fine. Good luck on the new build!
Old 06-21-21, 09:01 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
lots of people have run those intakes for years with no issues including myself, unless something is wrong with the welding it should be fine. Good luck on the new build!
I'm just gonna run it and let sound work out the bugs. I think I'm going to have my harness redone by a professional though just to wrap up any loose ends on the build.

Thanks Ali. I swear ill get this thing figured out!
Old 06-22-21, 12:30 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

I'm happy that you're getting ever closer to having this new engine installed and running! You're checking everything so I don't think you'll leave any stone unturned.

Getting a professional to go over your engine harness can be a good idea. It just takes some time if you prefer to do all of that yourself. Continuity test every single wire in the harness and double check all of the connectors and terminal ends to be safe.

I'm excited for you man!!
Old 06-22-21, 06:25 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Thanks Kahn! I just got the front accessories installed, oil pan, rear main and transmission stuff are left.

so far i've:
Cleaned and half *** painted block (cant even see most of it anyway lol)
Installed pilot bearing while engine was on the hoist
TT HG (cleaned block and head surfaces gently but not excessively)
ARP Studs
Checked valve lash (perfect, tight end of the allowed clearance)
Valve Seals
Pulled intake studs
Power washed the inside of my valve covers, re-sealed the baffles, installed valve covers
Plugs
Swapped over my timing belt set from the other engine (all this stuff is basically brand new)
Front main seal
All new water pump orings

Trying to be smart about this one too and marking all bolt's ive torqued as i do them.

Last edited by silentkill; 06-22-21 at 07:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
KahnBB6 (06-22-21)
Old 06-22-21, 04:12 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

That's a great checklist so far! Marking all the torqued bolts (with a grease pencil?) and generous use of the blue painter's tape is the right way to stay organized!

I think you've got this! It's just the usual long list of things to put into place and the usual wear components to replace with new or nearly new examples before you get ready to install it!

Whatever you decide to do regarding the engine harness just make sure it's gone through thoroughly. I don't remember... did you do your own harness wiring modifications so far?

Quick Reply: 97 SC300 - silentbob