Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

97 SC300 - silentbob

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-21 | 06:03 AM
KahnBB6

It's the red component way back behind the black intake manifold, correct? Does it need to sit lower than it currently is?

From that wide photograph it *looks* like it's in a good spot already but if it's mounting is an issue given that this is a custom setup... I'd make a custom bracket

Get a cardboard box and cut from it a big chunk, then roughly cut out the bracket shape that I'll need including areas to bend. Draw on it, drill holes that are the right sizes, mark critical areas and gradually trim out what you don't need to get the shape just right and then test fit it carefully.

Then use some reasonably thick stainless steel from a raw plate sheet (any hardware store like Lowes will have some), trace the template with a permanent marker onto the steel and then carefully cut out the tracing with a cutoff wheel tool using the thinnest cutting disc available (be careful!! Definitely wear thick gloves, eye protection and some cheap ear protection headphones).

For mine I used an old shop bench grinding motor with stone wheels to de-burr the edges and round those edges. Then I drilled all the appropriate holes after following the template markings. A common variable speed Dremel tool with a small stone grinder bit on the end can also de-burr those edges. Rounding edges is easier with a bench grinder motor with a big 7" diameter or so stone wheel but the little Dremel tool can probably also do it in a pinch with a few extra stone grinding bits.

A shop vise and hammer get all the bends put into the right places (mostly!), then test fit and do primer and spray paint it in VHT 250F black or VHT 550F black depending on the bracket's location in the engine bay.

Use some 100-grit sandpaper on the finished but still unpainted raw metal bracket surface to prepare it for the primer paint coat.

I've done a couple of custom brackets so far where there was just no other good off the shelf solution available. Mind you I'm NOT a professional fabricator by any means! It's not too hard to do yourself. Just be careful around the really dangerous tools of course and use eye, hand and ear protection. And a respirator mask while spray painting.

Ultimately the more custom the engine setup becomes I think it's inevitable that we'll have to create at least one or more custom mounting brackets from scratch to finish the build in a clean way especially as the available places to mount things in the engine bay get ever tighter and fewer.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 07-16-21 at 06:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RudysSC (07-16-21)
Old 07-16-21 | 06:30 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
It's the red component way back behind the black intake manifold, correct? Does it need to sit lower than it currently is?

From that wide photograph it *looks* like it's in a good spot already but if it's mounting is an issue given that this is a custom setup... I'd make a custom bracket

Get a cardboard box and cut from it a big chunk, then roughly cut out the bracket shape that I'll need including areas to bend. Draw on it, drill holes that are the right sizes, mark critical areas and gradually trim out what you don't need to get the shape just right and then test fit it carefully.

Then use some reasonably thick stainless steel from a raw plate sheet (any hardware store like Lowes will have some), trace the template with a permanent marker onto the steel and then carefully cut out the tracing with a cutoff wheel tool using the thinnest cutting disc available (be careful!! Definitely wear thick gloves, eye protection and some cheap ear protection headphones).

For mine I used an old shop bench grinding motor with stone wheels to de-burr the edges and round those edges. Then I drilled all the appropriate holes after following the template markings. A common variable speed Dremel tool with a small stone grinder bit on the end can also de-burr those edges. Rounding edges is easier with a bench grinder motor with a big 7" diameter or so stone wheel but the little Dremel tool can probably also do it in a pinch with a few extra stone grinding bits.

A shop vise and hammer get all the bends put into the right places (mostly!), then test fit and do primer and spray paint it in VHT 250F black or VHT 550F black depending on the bracket's location in the engine bay.

Use some 100-grit sandpaper on the finished but still unpainted raw metal bracket surface to prepare it for the primer paint coat.

I've done a couple of custom brackets so far where there was just no other good off the shelf solution available. Mind you I'm NOT a professional fabricator by any means! It's not too hard to do yourself. Just be careful around the really dangerous tools of course and use eye, hand and ear protection. And a respirator mask while spray painting.

Ultimately the more custom the engine setup becomes I think it's inevitable that we'll have to create at least one or more custom mounting brackets from scratch to finish the build in a clean way especially as the available places to mount things in the engine bay get ever tighter and fewer.

Yeah i figured id have to create my own to make it nicer. its in a good spot im just not happy with the bracket looks wise.
KahnBB6 (07-17-21)
Old 07-19-21 | 08:28 AM
silentkill
Advanced

I wanted to wait until i had it in my hands but my wiring guy sent me a teaser photo. I'm just waiting to get this, install it. Followed up by intercooler pipe, battery, and then starting it!

The following 3 users liked this post by silentkill:
Ali SC3 (07-19-21), Bimmerbill (07-19-21), KahnBB6 (07-19-21)
Old 07-23-21 | 07:16 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Update, harness is done and getting shipped back to me today. Stay tuned for a first start.

My guy got this done in like two weeks. Super impressed.

KahnBB6 (07-24-21)
Old 07-23-21 | 07:19 AM
Turbostar
Pit Crew

Wow that looks great! Can't wait to hear it running again!
silentkill (07-23-21)
Old 07-23-21 | 07:47 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Originally Posted by Turbostar
Wow that looks great! Can't wait to hear it running again!
Me too! haha I think my first start order of business will be:
  • TPS Min/max values
  • Verify fuel pressure works, then swap the connector over to oil and verify that connector is working (cheater way to validate that input)
  • Pray to the JZ Gods
  • Crank for oil pressure with no spark/fuel
  • Set base timing sync to ECU so crank timing matches the ecu while locked at 10. (play with the angle of the primary trigger setting)
  • Fire it up, check for leaks, make sure AFR looks good, etc.
  • Make sure transmission works
  • Wait for Dyno Day in August.
The following 2 users liked this post by silentkill:
Bimmerbill (07-23-21), KahnBB6 (07-24-21)
Old 07-25-21 | 02:50 PM
silentkill
Advanced

Bled the brakes finally after 4-5 years lol Still some crud in there in the back portion but ill bleed it when i upgrade the brakes.

Torn on which method ill go for the fronts, the rears ill probably source some TT brakes.

KahnBB6 (07-26-21)
Old 08-02-21 | 11:56 AM
silentkill
Advanced

I started this thing yesterday! Couldn't get oil pressure pre-cranking so i just fired it up and got instant oil pressure.

have some massive vac leak to trace down as its idling at 1700 when hot.

The following 2 users liked this post by silentkill:
Ali SC3 (08-03-21), Bimmerbill (08-02-21)
Old 08-02-21 | 12:00 PM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Yea for the good guys.
Old 08-02-21 | 12:02 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Hell ya! That bay looks so good man. I can't wait to see how this round goes!
Old 08-02-21 | 12:10 PM
silentkill
Advanced

Originally Posted by RudysSC
Hell ya! That bay looks so good man. I can't wait to see how this round goes!
thanks man it's made quite the 360 since the first revision of it.

few more odds and ends to tidy up and we'll be rockin.
Old 08-02-21 | 02:47 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Terrific. I'm thrilled to see how this thing does on the dyno! Once this car is sorted it's going to be an absolutely killer street car.

PS - saw your instagram post lol what did you break on the vette already?!
Old 08-02-21 | 05:38 PM
silentkill
Advanced

Terrific. I'm thrilled to see how this thing does on the dyno! Once this car is sorted it's going to be an absolutely killer street car.

PS - saw your instagram post lol what did you break on the vette already?!
the t56 is leaking from every end lol. I guess taking a car that basically sat for 16 years and drag racing it will do that..

i think ultimately i need to pull the trans and reseal it or do i swap in z06 gear /shrug
Old 08-03-21 | 07:52 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

I suppose it happens!! However, it sounds like you're really enjoying that bad boy. It would be well worth the effort of a reseal and regear when you're up for it after all of this work on the SC lol.
Old 08-03-21 | 07:57 AM
silentkill
Advanced

I suppose it happens!! However, it sounds like you're really enjoying that bad boy. It would be well worth the effort of a reseal and regear when you're up for it after all of this work on the SC lol.
I love that car, just like the SC. It's just a whole different animal NA big cubic inch power.

Yeah i think instead of z06 swapping it ill pull and reseal it. It would probably cost me $5-7k to change out to a TR6060 and z06 diff and i'm not about to do that lol after the SC investment.

Quick Reply: 97 SC300 - silentbob