Build Threads Details on Club Lexus IS-F owner vehicles

iLLWiLLeM $125 ISF track car. Yes please.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-20, 11:51 AM
illwillem
Pit Crew

Received 451 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
So the evo 5 just plugs into your OBD and you can monitor all of the above? I’ve been pondering a large screen that can double as a shift light.

I run a large phone on a simulation rig, and the entire screen flashes bright red when it’s time to shift. It has really helped me to focus on drive lines and not my tach, and makes me want one in my ISF. I simply can’t hear the beep with the window down and a helmet on.

Yeah, thats right. power/ground and can+ can-

https://www.aim-sportline.com/downlo...-F_103_eng.pdf

Heres the full list of avalable data though CAN.

ECU_1 ECU_RPM RPM
ECU_2 ECU_THROTTLE Throttle position
ECU_3 ECU_BRAKE_PR Brake pressure
ECU_4 ECU_VEH_SPD Vehicle speed
ECU_5 ECU_STEER_ANG Steering angle
ECU_6 ECU_BRAKE_PR2 Brake pressure 2
ECU_7 ECU_WHE_FR Front right wheel speed
ECU_8 ECU_WHE_FL Front left wheel speed
ECU_9 ECU_WHE_RR Rear right wheel speed
ECU_10 ECU_WHE_RL Rear left wheel speed
ECU_11 ECU_BRK_SW Brake switch
ECU_12 ECU_AIR_TMP Intake air temperature
ECU_13 ECU_ENGINE_TMP Engine temperature
ECU_14 ECU_PPS_VOLT Pedal position voltage
ECU_15 ECU_SHIFT ECU Shift switch

33 Available channels Channels received by AiM loggers connected to "Lexus" "IS_F" protocol

Individual wheel speed, pedal position AND steering angle for god sakes. This means that aftermarket adjustable traction control OR abs would be a pretty trivial task to implement.

The evo5 is just the logger, to display anything including warnings and programmable screen layouts you also need the GS dash along with the evo 5.

Old 04-13-20, 01:47 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Do you generally use large or bright shift lights in your race cars?
Old 04-13-20, 02:33 PM
MLRSTJ
Rookie

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

Pretty F ing Awesome !!!!! I would like to buy the air scoop or get the pattern from you so I can have one built also, Thanks
Old 04-14-20, 12:57 AM
JDMV8
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 107 Posts

rename this thread to an ISF wet dream
The following users liked this post:
MLRSTJ (04-20-20)
Old 04-14-20, 11:23 AM
Hardrvin
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Great thread and thanks for sharing.

Been looking at getting into an ISF for the same reason. Have a dedicated W2W car, have a fun IS300 over the top car, but need something that is DD friendly, but can also survive a trip to a HPDE day that I'm instructing, turn around and go home.

Looks like you went from mild to wild fairly quick though!

Did you happen to come across motion ratios for the front and rear? Going to start spec'ing spring rates for myself.
Old 04-14-20, 12:28 PM
illwillem
Pit Crew

JW-- Do you generally use large or bright shift lights in your race cars? That's always the idea. I also set alarms for pressures and temps. I never look at the gauges unless there's a warning telling me that i need to. Same idea applies to the shift light. Cool thing about the evo5 and GS dash is that you can set specific colors and flashing to specific RPMs.

MLRSTJ-- Hah, I'll look for the patterns on the shop floor, but i think those all got binned already. Sorry dude.

Hardriven- Thats next on the list when the car comes back from fab. Going to find the MR's then weigh all the new out board components to get the Hz. Napkin math told me that it will be around a 16/18 KG spring with the new wheels and heavy tires im running; so that's what i had shipped on the Penskes.. but since that calculation I also ordered 2 piece rotors so it all may be fubar. I also dont know the final weight of the car yet so that was another guess on my part. This is one of the main reasons im doing shock pots. I'll be able to tell after the first lap soley based on the data plot frequency if im close or not.

MLRSTJ (04-16-20)
Old 04-14-20, 02:27 PM
kos
Advanced

Received 116 Likes on 98 Posts

Data is KING. Shoulda gone Motec jk haha. Excited to see what's next.
Old 04-14-20, 09:43 PM
illwillem
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by kos
Data is KING. Shoulda gone Motec jk haha. Excited to see what's next.
Hah, quiet Markos. Dont you have a Subaru to go work on so you can smash more records?
Old 04-15-20, 08:31 PM
illwillem
Pit Crew

Skirts on, its coming together..

The following 3 users liked this post by illwillem:
ISF4life (05-28-20), MLRSTJ (04-16-20), NebulaISF (11-10-20)
Old 04-15-20, 08:55 PM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Amazing work, looks SO good!
-R
MLRSTJ (04-16-20)
Old 04-16-20, 04:08 PM
MLRSTJ
Rookie

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by illwillem
JW-- Do you generally use large or bright shift lights in your race cars? That's always the idea. I also set alarms for pressures and temps. I never look at the gauges unless there's a warning telling me that i need to. Same idea applies to the shift light. Cool thing about the evo5 and GS dash is that you can set specific colors and flashing to specific RPMs.

MLRSTJ-- Hah, I'll look for the patterns on the shop floor, but i think those all got binned already. Sorry dude.

Hardriven- Thats next on the list when the car comes back from fab. Going to find the MR's then weigh all the new out board components to get the Hz. Napkin math told me that it will be around a 16/18 KG spring with the new wheels and heavy tires im running; so that's what i had shipped on the Penskes.. but since that calculation I also ordered 2 piece rotors so it all may be fubar. I also dont know the final weight of the car yet so that was another guess on my part. This is one of the main reasons im doing shock pots. I'll be able to tell after the first lap soley based on the data plot frequency if im close or not.

oh man, a 20 minute track session on any warm day puts the tranny, coolant and oil into Very High temps on all ISF's and the ducting you made would be a Big help !!! Anything you can find could be Great, otherwise keep me in mind if and when you ever sell this car. Thanks,

Old 04-28-20, 06:46 PM
illwillem
Pit Crew

Quick update, there were a few things that took some time to work though but now they're done and i think we're on the home stretch.

First- here's and illustration of how well the new front jack points work. About 6 inches of lift at the front lifts the rear tires nearly the same amount. I have decided against adding additional rear jack points at the main cage hoop i think at this point they would just be extra weight since the fronts work better than i anticipated.

Here's a better picture looking back at the rear of the fender well, it shows the pocket that the jack box creates and channels to the air outlet.

And the metal work that replace the front fender plastics. These were necessary to make because the OEM fender plastics are mounted with all sorts of 10mm clips and bolts, they also have holes for the fog light air ducts to pass though- which i am not using anymore.
When running a splitter with diffuser tunnels its important to block the pressure spilloff into the dead space above the splitter. Doing so increases the efficiency and overall DF they are able to generate, it also helps reduce lift to run the tires as close to the fenders as you can get them.

You can see the tube for the ECU ducting peaking into the new fender liner

Next big step is adding the Penskes into the car and figuring out mounting of the shockpots. Yet to be installed are more Figs arms and a couple bushings. I'm going to do all that once the car is home and after I pull out the differential for the LSD install.

Built a mount for the GS dash. It covers the tachometer and water temp- which is fine because the screen itself is going to have a tach with shift lights built in along with all my temperature readouts. The size of the GS unit is actually perfect, it allows you to mount it here but still have line of site to the center readout with the gear counter/error messages along with the fuel level gauge on the far right under the speedo.

Lastly and semi-unrelated to the ISF I was able to get back to the track this last Sunday in the NSX. I also drove the Ferarri 360 pictured quite a bit, it really, really made me get excited for the ISF.

Video here:

Last edited by illwillem; 04-28-20 at 06:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by illwillem:
ISF4life (05-28-20), MLRSTJ (04-30-20)
Old 04-29-20, 12:13 AM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Received 347 Likes on 219 Posts

When you installed your penkse coilovers did you measure each coilovers to match height driver side to passenger side? I did this and noticed when the car was on the ground the car sat uneven left to right. Only on the front though. Rear matched perfectly left to right but the front was off by like half an inch maybe a bit more.
Old 04-29-20, 10:38 AM
illwillem
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ISFpowered
When you installed your penkse coilovers did you measure each coilovers to match height driver side to passenger side? I did this and noticed when the car was on the ground the car sat uneven left to right. Only on the front though. Rear matched perfectly left to right but the front was off by like half an inch maybe a bit more.
Its just for test-fitting the shock potentiometers at the moment, after final install of bushings and arms he shocks will get corner balanced and leveled during the alignment to achieve 50/50 cross weights and proper rake. like this...

Old 04-30-20, 10:27 AM
Hardrvin
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Hub stands, I like it. Doing it proper.

How was the 360? I've been tempted on and off to pick up an older Ferrari for giggles, but didn't know if it would seem underwhelming.

Quick Reply: iLLWiLLeM $125 ISF track car. Yes please.