Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

TrueGS300's build

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-19, 06:07 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 464 Likes on 378 Posts

Well I'm really disappointed in the way this tune came out. Already going to have to look into going stand alone. The car really only works for wide open throttle pulls (and it does that good). But it's pretty worthless for street driving. I don't understand why they can't get a decent idle and any kind of drivability out of this thing. Very hard starts, bogging down at idle, rich codes etc. won't take off from a stop without first clearing out all the fuel with pedal revs.

I have been looking into the AEM infinity 506 ECU. But I can't find any info on which ECU can control transmission functions. I also bounce off the rev limiter when going WOT, and have to let up to shift. Would like to be able to adjust shift points etc. At this point it doesn't matter what it costs. I've put to much time and effort into this car to be running like this. I'm really PO'ed because they said the FIC-6 would work fine. Now they are blaming the o2s taking over in closed loop etc. say they can't tune for vvt even though the FIC says it handles that right on the box. frustrating..

These guys have done a NA-T IS300 with an FIC-6 and it supposedly came out great. So I don't know wtf is going on. My car was honestly starting and driving better before the tune, just having everything slapped in. Makes no sense.
Old 09-22-19, 01:21 PM
Arussto
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Intercooler and safety bar

Just s quick question. I know you said you installed the intercooler without mods to the car but i just wamt to confirm that the bumper reinforcement bar (called safety bar ) did not have to be cut.

If so what are the dims on the intercooler?

Thx

Originally Posted by SlowSedan
Looks like a nice fit for the intercooler. Nicely done.
Old 09-22-19, 01:32 PM
Arussto
Intermediate

Default Take a few steps backwards

SorryTrueGs. I saw your frustration after asking about the FMIC.

In my limited opinion, i think you may have done too much in one shot before losing driveability.

Something must have been overlooked or gone awry.
I suggest going backwards to where driveability was not a problem then go one at a time.

Unless youve reasoned put that the piggyback just cant handld it.

Would hate for you to lose enthusiasm
Old 09-22-19, 03:21 PM
TrueGS300
Racer

Originally Posted by Arussto
Just s quick question. I know you said you installed the intercooler without mods to the car but i just wamt to confirm that the bumper reinforcement bar (called safety bar ) did not have to be cut.

If so what are the dims on the intercooler?

Thx
The reinforcement stays in place and not modified. The intercooler fits right behind it. I did have to remove the fog lights and washer fluid reservoir for the pipes going in and out of it. I don't know the dimensions, but if you go to CXracing's website and look at the GT35 turbo kit for the GS300 you may find some info on it.
The following users liked this post:
Arussto (09-22-19)
Old 09-22-19, 03:53 PM
Arussto
Intermediate

Default Fmic vs neo vs 550

Just read through your tribulation again.

Seems like overich conditions might be fouling plugs etc.
From what i have read.. No standalone controls the tranny.
When people do standalobe, they keep the original ecu to handle the tranny.
May i suggest going back with thd orig injectors to test the Fmic or remiovng the fmic and test the car without it.

Im hurting for you man so a few silly questions.

Is the boom harness for the correct app. Gte vs ge?
Can Aem help you ?
Fuel pressure correct?
Old 09-25-19, 05:34 PM
TrueGS300
Racer

Ya the car was actually running better before the tune. It has a good wide open throttle tune now, but way worse for idle and drivability. I dropped the car back off to them today. Told them to drive it on the street and see what I mean. I know it's all working correctly because the car cold starts fine and idles pretty good in open loop and runs very well for full throttle pulls. So there are no bad/leaking injectors, bad harness, low fuel pressure, boost leaks etc. But when closed loop hits and the o2s take over, it starts dumping fuel. They just have it running way too rich. They need to work with the fueling under no-boost conditions.
Old 09-25-19, 08:55 PM
Arussto
Intermediate

Default Seems like you have it well thought out

Cool. So only closed loop. On wot it goes open loop right ?

So the mapping needs some work. Or ghr fuel adjustmentc on the piggy back. Right?
Old 09-26-19, 01:20 PM
KyleH
Advanced

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

Does the FIC support logging capability? I assume yes. If you can share your logs and or your fuel maps I'd be interested to see them. I too have had a tune done to my car which left me disappointed. Since then I've done as much learning and editing of the tune as I can. I realize it's apples to oranges a bit here - I'm running a GTE VVTI engine on a Haltech, but I'd be happy to give it a look.

EDIT: Looks like from referencing above you have a wideband. Does it appear the car is running terribly rich during closed loop operation?

Last edited by KyleH; 09-26-19 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-26-19, 03:23 PM
TrueGS300
Racer

Yes it’s definitely rich as hell in closed loop. Throws rich codes too. It’s back at the tuners. They are giving it another go.
Old 09-27-19, 07:26 AM
KyleH
Advanced

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

Hopefully they'll get it sorted out. I'll stay tuned to see the results.
Old 09-27-19, 07:44 AM
Arussto
Intermediate

Ditto KyleH
Old 10-02-19, 03:19 PM
Arussto
Intermediate

Default Whats thd latest ?

Originally Posted by TrueGS300
Yes it’s definitely rich as hell in closed loop. Throws rich codes too. It’s back at the tuners. They are giving it another go.

Any luck ?
Old 10-02-19, 08:37 PM
TrueGS300
Racer

Originally Posted by Arussto
Any luck ?
Yes they were able to get it running right. Its been a bad experience with them. But at least it's over. You would't believe what I've been through with these guys. But I'm trying to just focus on the fact that the car runs good and idles fine now. Won't be using their services again. I have a few things to do on the car before giving it a break for a while. This has been more of a stressor than it ever should have been. I'm ready to just finish these few things up and leave it alone now. Just daily it and enjoy it until I get the bug again.

Last edited by TrueGS300; 10-03-19 at 06:45 AM.
Old 10-05-19, 06:02 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

I bought this clear timing cover and a TRD badged oil cap to help complete my underhood styling. Thought I’d share. The clear cover is only available as a GTE VVTi cover and is designed for individual coil packs/brackets. Still fits our engine fine. There is a piece that you can see goes back over the oil fill cap a little. Not sure why, I will carfully cut that part so it doesn’t look funny and get in the way of oil changes. I figured, I put too much work into the cam swap to not show it off lol. Will have to do a little wire wrapping and tucking too so it doesn’t look dumb under the new clear cover. Only other thing I’m thinking is a strut brace. But not sure yet.

The following 2 users liked this post by TrueGS300:
Arussto (10-06-19), firelizard (10-07-19)
Old 10-06-19, 11:42 AM
Arussto
Intermediate

Default Gte vvti clear cam cover

Glad u sorted the driveability. Sometimes tuners gotta learn the engine. U may not want to cut them off just yet cause now they seem to have learnt a lot.

So ive seen non vvti clear covers. Where do i source the vvti cover?

Keep it pumping😁

Quick Reply: TrueGS300's build