Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

TrueGS300's build

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-19, 09:29 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 270 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Arussto
Glad u sorted the driveability. Sometimes tuners gotta learn the engine. U may not want to cut them off just yet cause now they seem to have learnt a lot.

So ive seen non vvti clear covers. Where do i source the vvti cover?

Keep it pumping😁
The moderator of the 2GS group on facebook sells them. the company is Luxious Auto
Old 10-07-19, 05:40 PM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 464 Likes on 378 Posts

I got mine on eBay from a company in Thailand. It’s the only one I was able to find.
Old 10-07-19, 06:02 PM
firelizard

Received 442 Likes on 350 Posts

I really dig clear timing covers. If I had a 2JZ I'd get an HKS timing belt just to flex, because I'm a huge ricer at heart.
The following users liked this post:
badblackgs (10-09-19)
Old 10-07-19, 09:02 PM
TrueGS300
Racer

Originally Posted by firelizard
I really dig clear timing covers. If I had a 2JZ I'd get an HKS timing belt just to flex, because I'm a huge ricer at heart.
Did you ever try that ground idea for your fiberglass trunk?
Old 10-09-19, 06:05 PM
TrueGS300
Racer

I wen't in and had my 3" exhaust installed today. Now its full 3" from the turbo back with 1 resonator and muffler out the passenger side. What a difference! The car picked up an easy 15-20hp, maybe more, judging how much more I feel it pull. But I started to get a new issue. The car is acting funny around 5k+ rpm. I'm thinking fuel starvation. Got me wondering, how much power is a Walbro 255lph pump good for? Have I already outgrown it? The other BS issue I'm having is my brand new AEM wide-band o2 isn't reading anymore. I've checked all the connections. I think the sensor took a ***** because it always says "heating" now on the gauge instead of showing readings. So I can't even see if I'm leaning out. . Guess I need to get a new one of them first. But I wanted to see what you guys think about the fuel starvation thought...
Old 10-10-19, 03:38 AM
Arussto
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

I would Call aem about that if i were you.
Old 10-10-19, 06:52 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

I got it on ebay months ago. But in my eyes it's like new because the car only just got up and running recently. I doubt there's much I can do by complaining. I just ordered the sensor part. That's all I should need.
Old 10-10-19, 07:21 AM
KyleH
Advanced

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by TrueGS300
I wen't in and had my 3" exhaust installed today. Now its full 3" from the turbo back with 1 resonator and muffler out the passenger side. What a difference! The car picked up an easy 15-20hp, maybe more, judging how much more I feel it pull. But I started to get a new issue. The car is acting funny around 5k+ rpm. I'm thinking fuel starvation. Got me wondering, how much power is a Walbro 255lph pump good for? Have I already outgrown it? The other BS issue I'm having is my brand new AEM wide-band o2 isn't reading anymore. I've checked all the connections. I think the sensor took a ***** because it always says "heating" now on the gauge instead of showing readings. So I can't even see if I'm leaning out. . Guess I need to get a new one of them first. But I wanted to see what you guys think about the fuel starvation thought...
Walboro 255? On pump gas I would think 350-400 WHP. But definitely get that wideband fixed. If you have made meaningful changes to your exhaust, it is quite likely you're flowing a lot more air now and you should get that wideband fixed to confirm. You risk engine damage if your tune is now too lean due to your exhaust upgrade, even if the pump were able to keep up. From a practical example, I installed an electric cutout on a car I had once before. When the cutout was open the car ran leaner, and we needed to richen up the tune. I'm making an assumption here that the FIC does not interpret and adjust for the O2 reading - "Closed Loop O2." If it does, then I'd be even more concerned about the current state of affairs regarding that O2 sensor.
Old 10-10-19, 06:16 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

its sounds like the guys doing your tuning on the fic6 are learning as they go. now your saying that the car is dropping out at 5k rpm? I suspect the maf sensor is maxing out. the fic6 software has the ability to clamp or limit the voltage coming from the maf sensor to the ecm so it doesn't allow the ecm to freak out when it thinks its maxed out. the quickest and easiest way to find out is to get the car warmed up on a long stretch of road with no one around. turn on the logging feature built into the fic6, than go wide open throttle as hard as you can. than pull over turn off the logging than re watch it and watch to see what the maf sensor voltage is reading when the problem occurs. if the maf out is hitting close to 5 volts than that could be the cause. in regards to fuel pump output, I have a deatcheworks 260 lph turbine pump in my aristo swap and im easily hammering 450 wheel horsepower and im only leaning out because of the stock 440 injectors. so in this case, i dont see your pump being the cause.
Old 10-11-19, 05:43 PM
TrueGS300
Racer

Thanks for the info, I do have a new wide band o2 on the way, I will start with getting my afr's readable and see whats happening under various conditions. I know the whole tune is based mostly on the maf with the fic-6, so that's probably where the issue is. I did tell the tuner I planned to go 3" on the exhaust soon. He said it wouldn't affect anything and that it would just help it make power and spool faster. But I may have to ask him if that could be happening with the maf. I haven't wanted to deal with them anymore though. I have multiple reasons I would never want to bring my car back there.
Old 10-11-19, 06:05 PM
Arussto
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Map?

Is it fairly easy to use a map sensor?
I mean is it so easy to use for test? Assuming the fic allows either map or maf.

Just thinking. Of course map would habe to hanfle pos and neg pressue.
Old 10-13-19, 10:03 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Originally Posted by Arussto
Is it fairly easy to use a map sensor?
I mean is it so easy to use for test? Assuming the fic allows either map or maf.

Just thinking. Of course map would habe to hanfle pos and neg pressue.
I don't know what they did for tuning. The FIC-6 has a built in MAP sensor. Not sure if it was used of not. But I did give them the car with the fic installed and the MAP port plumbed to manifold vacuum.

Good news is a new sensor fixed my wideband issue. Not sure why it failed. Bosch kinda sucks these days. Would have expected more from AEM's higher end UEGO kit. But I guess they can't help the Bosch sensor they use failing. Hopefully this one lasts. Will be testing whats happening next time I head out of town.
Old 10-17-19, 06:21 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

So the car defiantly needs tuning again. The maf goes crazy when really getting on it. The exhaust was way bigger of a change than inticipated. One of those situations that in hindsight, should have done the exhaust before tuning.

At at this point I’ve seen and dealt with the shortcomings of piggyback ecu’s. Considering going stand-alone and retuning the car.

In the mean time, took a few pics of the new exhaust and I finally customed up a washer fluid reservoir/pump to have that system functional again. You never know how important that is until you loose it lol. No more rags and window wipeing to be able to see!

Basically I ran the power/ ground and fluid line under the car and just spliced into the factory connections in the front fender.

Old 10-17-19, 10:32 AM
KyleH
Advanced

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

I can't tell, but looks like your exhaust is cat-less. How loud is the exhaust? Does it have much drone to it? 3" all the way back? Any reason for single exit instead of double or was that just preference?

Curious - did you have to move the battery to the trunk or was that a preference? Where are you grounding the battery?

As for your tuning issues - sorry to hear of your continued woes. I'd be curious what your biggest concerns are with why you think going stand-alone will help? To be sure a full stand-alone does give you control over a lot more than the FIC does. However, as long as you're running the automatic transmission, unless you go wit ha ProEFI (and I've only read that works for Supras) you have to retain the stock ECU (and MAF, I've read) to handle the transmission and other functions like drive by wire.
Old 10-17-19, 03:58 PM
TrueGS300
Racer

Originally Posted by KyleH
I can't tell, but looks like your exhaust is cat-less. How loud is the exhaust? Does it have much drone to it? 3" all the way back? Any reason for single exit instead of double or was that just preference?

Curious - did you have to move the battery to the trunk or was that a preference? Where are you grounding the battery?

As for your tuning issues - sorry to hear of your continued woes. I'd be curious what your biggest concerns are with why you think going stand-alone will help? To be sure a full stand-alone does give you control over a lot more than the FIC does. However, as long as you're running the automatic transmission, unless you go wit ha ProEFI (and I've only read that works for Supras) you have to retain the stock ECU (and MAF, I've read) to handle the transmission and other functions like drive by wire.
So the battery relocation was just personal preference for better weight distribution. Same with the washer reservoir since I had to remove it for the intercooler. The battery just grounds in the trunk at one of the cargo tie down loops.

The exhaust sounds great. A turbo really doesn’t let cars drone. But I did put in a Magnaflow resonator and muffler. Yes, no cats and full 3” from the turbo out. It got louder but nothing crazy. One single pipe was personal preference to drop weight.

The stand alone is going in because I have to go in for tuning again anyways, and I want it totally on point. They are very familiar with it and the car will work much better. The maf is going to stay in and they say the auto trans is going to work flawlessly with the infinity ecu. The tune will work off of my AEM UEGO wideband connected directly to it. So no more o2 issues I’m having with the fic-6. I want vvti working and it can’t with the fic. So several reasons this time around will be way better. Should make quite a bit more power with the exhaust and throughout the powerband with vvt working. Still on the 8psi watergate mind you. Not even looking for more power at this time really. But I know it will make some more. Don’t want to blow the trans, so staying low boost.

This is all all just so I have the car running as good as it can as it’s my daily driver. And in the future when I go for more power after some transmission work and thicker head gasket etc. the stand alone will already be in and ready to go.
The following 2 users liked this post by TrueGS300:
Arussto (11-02-19), captainva (10-18-19)

Quick Reply: TrueGS300's build