Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 1IS owner vehicles

I have no idea what I'm doing. GE VVTI build.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-20, 05:53 PM
daddystop
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Very nice, I will likely have to find something like that if I get a non-vvti block. I located an early SC300 in the yard by my house so if it has an engine I might go pull it and just use that to avoid any machine shop jackassery. I 100% agree with you about not messing with a running part in terms of..... don't disassemble a running bottom end or head if the last people that touched it were Toyota engineers. They assembled it properly and the chances of a machine shop getting it perfect again is pretty slim IMO. I don't like to gamble with rare parts. I think you've convinced me that I need to put my VVTI head on a non-VVTI bottom end and just run it because I'm not looking for any kind of insane power goals. The turbo I selected supports between 250-500hp on it's compressor map (efficiently) and I don't intend to do anything outside of that anyway.

I think I'm going to set up a proper catch can because I don't like the idea of oil vapor going in my engine bay. It will make things dirty eventually and I don't like working on cars or cleaning cars, I like driving cars.

I will try to get some work done on it this weekend so I can have an update for you guys.

Any recommendations for coils that can replace the stock ones? I know the IGN-1 coils are good but will they fit in the stock y-pipe?

Also, I searched high and low when piecing together the turbo kit for my car to find something that could retain the stock t-body (for retaining transmission/e-shift control) but I couldn't really find anything good. I don't think the stock stuff is necessarily bad or restrictive, I just don't like the configuration going over the spark plug wells because it makes it difficult to work on the car without removing all that stuff. Of course, it's not that difficult to remove, it's just a little bit more work than just getting to business on the car.