Search this Thread

Old 09-24-19, 08:21 AM
Georgeous
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 00 Wannabe Drifter Daily

Hello Clublexus,

Where do I start...

I have been searching for the ls400 for a while but could barely find what I want in the desired price range or in any price range really. I finally picked up a salvage title 2000 black on black ls400 from the Copart auction in PA and towed it to my garage. The vehicle had a busted taillight and a dented trunk and rear bumper. I have fixed those issues and took it through the state inspection to get a rebuilt title for it, which made it road-worthy again and allowed me to insure and slap the plates on it.

So, the LS went from this:

To this:

And then to this:

Then I've had the car on the lift and my friend's shop, inspected the suspension and have put a small to-do list of mine to refresh the car:
- new front lower arms (the forward facing ones that end with camber bolt), already installed
- new passenger side UCA from Moog, already installed
- new engine and trans mount(s), still need to buy these, thinking of OEM units, everyone seems to bash aftermarket options and say they aren't of a good quality.
- all new rear arms, purchased a set of Megan Racing ones, 6 arms total, still need to install these.
- extreme low coilovers from BC Racing, 18kg/14kg spring rates, purchased, need to install them.
- RCAs from Megan racing, sitting in my garage as well, need to install these.

I am still to complete some of the lowering-friendly prep on the car (like relocate the harness from the fender wells) and do a few other things. Thinking of fabricating some sort of plain skid plate to cover the oil pan. Also, it seems like everyone going really low is cutting a hole in their shock tower to allow for the UCA ball joint to clear, but upon inspecting my suspension, I am seeing that my UCAs first point of contact is not the shock tower but something like a metal rigidity thing in the wheel well (a vertical metal strip sticking out of the wheel well surface). Any advice on clearing these in a more or less safe manner?

Before I got to all of that, I played a little with factory bilsteins, and ebay collars, just to get an idea of the spring rates that may work, I tried 550lbs front and 350 in the rear and that seemed awfully soft, but gave me an idea of what I want from my BC setup, and got my car sitting a little lower and nicer.

Here's what it looks like now, sitting on this Frankenstein struts (stock Billsteins + ebay coilover sleeves):

P.S. My end goal I guess is to have a nicely looking daily, with possibility of occassional visits to local drifting events in Englishtown, NJ. With that in mind I sourced a UCF20 rear diff from the junk yard with an intent to weld it. I also want to install a hydro e-brake setup (cannot seem to find any pre-made brackets for the 2-caliper-per-wheel rear setup, so will probably just go with inline route). Also, thinking of slapping on a transmission cooler to help the auto last, before I can save up for the collins cd009 kit. I guess this route is pretty trivial and nothing of big news to people here...

With that said, thank you guys for being an inspiration, and a knowledgebase. If you have any advice to give or feedback to share - you are welcome to do so Mainly looking for the advice and tips on properly lowering this.

Last edited by Georgeous; 09-24-19 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-25-19, 01:43 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Looks good. It looks so different then my 98 to me. Good luck with it all.

If you drift with a nice looking daily aren't you worried about messing it up? You can crash or rub a wall so easily, looks like you know what you are doing with the body work.