Deezy's 2014 IS

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-20 | 01:02 PM
whoismiked
Advanced

Originally Posted by TJR14IS350
Thank god I got a set. I love them.
Beautiful car man!

I found some eyelids online being shipped to me now. They come in matte back. I'm going to Gloss black wrap them until I can get around to get them paint matched

Last edited by whoismiked; 02-01-20 at 10:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GR3Y5H3ART (01-26-20)
Old 01-26-20 | 01:14 PM
TJR14IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by whoismiked
Beautiful car man!

I found some eyelids online being shipped to me now. They come in matte back. I'm going to Gloss black wrap them until I can get around to get them paint matched
Awesome. Thanks. I hate and love black cars. Haha. I’m sure you know what I mean.
whoismiked (01-26-20)
Old 01-26-20 | 08:51 PM
GR3Y5H3ART
Lead Lap

very mean looking IS
whoismiked (01-27-20)
Old 01-26-20 | 09:56 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Russian ones on eBay?
Old 01-27-20 | 05:25 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Originally Posted by GR3Y5H3ART
very mean looking IS
Thanks! <3

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
Russian ones on eBay?
Yes. As far as I can see this is currently our only option. I've been looking around for quite some time and found no other options. Good news is I know of several people on here who have the MVTuning ones (the ones I ordered) that are from russia and they say they loved them and were of good quality. I'll update this when I actually receive them and install them and give my thoughts.
Old 02-01-20 | 10:34 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Finally got around to installing my rear difusser and then extending my exhaust tips.

The Rear diffuser I have is the Ikon Motorsports one, paint matched obsidian black. This difusser, as far as I can tell is basically a knock off of the Seibon Carbon Fiber difusser that looks exactly the same.

It came out looking fantastic in my opinion, but let me be honest with you all. I do not recommend purchasing this difusser, saying the fitment was not good is an understatement. It took quit a bit of custom work and making my own custom brackets molded to the inside to give me place to put in plastic rivets in order to line up and secure this thing. NONE of the holes / "mounting points" that came on this thing lined up with anything. This was a royal pain in the *** to get this all lined up. If I had to do it all over again I would have paid more and just got the Seibon one and paint matched it (I'm not a fan of carbon exterior parts). Many people who have the Seibon one claim it fit/ clipped right in, unlike this one.

That being said, after all the frustrating custom work it took to get it mounted right, the end result (imo) looks incredible and I love it.

Here are some crappy cell phone pics that don't do it justice. A good camera and lens or in person it looks fantastic (imo).

Last edited by whoismiked; 02-01-20 at 11:04 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by whoismiked:
AquaMayne (07-12-21), AtomicAWD (02-01-20)
Old 02-09-20 | 08:19 PM
Itzyaboijd
Driver School Candidate

Did you take any picture of the actual unit before you installed it?
Old 02-10-20 | 05:00 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Originally Posted by Itzyaboijd
Did you take any picture of the actual unit before you installed it?
I'm assuming you're referring to the Android head unit? Sadly I did not take any picture before installing.

I ordered mine through 4x4shop.ca link HERE. I ordered this on the very first day the new updated unit came out (Nov 2019), so I was weary of ordering through any of the other online sites as I knew 4x4 was for sure the right model I wanted. I didn't want to risk getting a lower quality and/or a unit that did not function with the joystick nav control I have (not the wheel). By now I think most of us have figured out that this is the same unit sold on Alibaba and a few other places for much cheaper. Knowing what I know now I obviously would have ordered from the much better priced place(s), but I am not too bothered by the fact that I paid more for the same thing because I love it SOOO much that I am happy. Also 4x4 offered great customer support for 1 year which I figured I might need, which I haven't.
Itzyaboijd (02-10-20)
Old 02-10-20 | 06:29 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

I'm assuming you're referring to the Android head unit? Sadly I did not take any picture before installing.

I ordered mine through 4x4shop.ca link HERE. I ordered this on the very first day the new updated unit came out (Nov 2019), so I was weary of ordering through any of the other online sites as I knew 4x4 was for sure the right model I wanted. I didn't want to risk getting a lower quality and/or a unit that did not function with the joystick nav control I have (not the wheel). By now I think most of us have figured out that this is the same unit sold on Alibaba and a few other places for much cheaper. Knowing what I know now I obviously would have ordered from the much better priced place(s), but I am not too bothered by the fact that I paid more for the same thing because I love it SOOO much that I am happy. Also 4x4 offered great customer support for 1 year which I figured I might need, which I haven't.
So you were able to handle the entire install yourself, without any assistance or (perhaps) even any instructions? In effect, you didn't need any support at all to this point?
Old 02-10-20 | 06:38 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

So you were able to handle the entire install yourself, without any assistance or (perhaps) even any instructions? In effect, you didn't need any support at all to this point?
Correct. But to be fair I am quite familiar with installing A/V stuff. I've installed lot's of A/V equipment in other cars and homes, so I have some basic knowledge. The only thing I looked up on a youtube video was how to dismantle the center console on our car to be sure I didn't break anything.

All in all the install was actually quite simple. I believe even without any prior knowledge of A/V installs I could have completed this. IT was only time consuming due to how much of the car has to be dismantled to get to everything.

If you or anyone try and tackle this and get stuck on something shoot me a message I'll try to help.
Itzyaboijd (02-10-20)
Old 02-10-20 | 11:24 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Correct. But to be fair I am quite familiar with installing A/V stuff. I've installed lot's of A/V equipment in other cars and homes, so I have some basic knowledge. The only thing I looked up on a youtube video was how to dismantle the center console on our car to be sure I didn't break anything.

All in all the install was actually quite simple. I believe even without any prior knowledge of A/V installs I could have completed this. IT was only time consuming due to how much of the car has to be dismantled to get to everything.

If you or anyone try and tackle this and get stuck on something shoot me a message I'll try to help.
That's great, thanks. I used to do my own car audio systems so could probably figure it out. Hopefully all the overseas models are now the same ones. If they can be had for under $1K (Can) it's definitely on my list. The screen protector probably needs replacing anyway.
whoismiked (02-11-20)
Old 02-11-20 | 05:47 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

That's great, thanks. I used to do my own car audio systems so could probably figure it out. Hopefully all the overseas models are now the same ones. If they can be had for under $1K (Can) it's definitely on my list. The screen protector probably needs replacing anyway.
Great! You will likely not have a problem then. Few tips right off the bat:

1. After removing the OEM screen, you will see 4 plastic clips on the back of it on each corner, remove those clips and put them on the new unit. They pull right off no problem. These make the screen snap into position and holds it firm in place just like the OEM one.
2. When I pulled out my OEM screen I could not find any room at all to feed the wires/harness straight down behind it (to go from the screen to the back of the stereo head unit. I actually removed my glovebox (Pretty easy to do) which gave me access to some opening to the far right side of the opening where the screen goes and allowed me to feed the wires easily down to the HU. After reassembly all wires are 100% hidden.
3. I watched a video for a guy installing a apply car play unit from beatsonic, that video gave me the "how to" to disassemble the center console and glove box. It was
video. Don't let this video scare you, the installation of that beatsonic unit actually seems more complicated than the Andriod headunit install, but it gave me exactly what I needed to know how to dismantle all the console, dash, and glovebox.
4. After getting everything hooked up, test things out before installing all the console, dash, and glovebox back in to avoid have to dismantle again if you missed something.
5. All the plugs on the harness (assuming the right unit for our car is purchased) only fit in the plugs that they need to go in. Each plug on the back on the OEM stereo is shaped different, so no worries about plugging something in wrong.

To me, the actual install was easy, the time consuming part was dismantling everything in the car and reassembly, which was easy as well, just takes time.

I actually snapped one pic when I had most of the dash and console apart, this was before I removed the glovebox, so I wasn't even done dismantling everything yet when I took this pic lol.

Last edited by whoismiked; 02-11-20 at 05:51 AM.
Itzyaboijd (02-11-20)
Old 02-11-20 | 06:08 AM
Itzyaboijd
Driver School Candidate

Default Good tips 👍🏼

Great! You will likely not have a problem then. Few tips right off the bat:

1. After removing the OEM screen, you will see 4 plastic clips on the back of it on each corner, remove those clips and put them on the new unit. They pull right off no problem. These make the screen snap into position and holds it firm in place just like the OEM one.
2. When I pulled out my OEM screen I could not find any room at all to feed the wires/harness straight down behind it (to go from the screen to the back of the stereo head unit. I actually removed my glovebox (Pretty easy to do) which gave me access to some opening to the far right side of the opening where the screen goes and allowed me to feed the wires easily down to the HU. After reassembly all wires are 100% hidden.
3. I watched a video for a guy installing a apply car play unit from beatsonic, that video gave me the "how to" to disassemble the center console and glove box. It was video. Don't let this video scare you, the installation of that beatsonic unit actually seems more complicated than the Andriod headunit install, but it gave me exactly what I needed to know how to dismantle all the console, dash, and glovebox.
4. After getting everything hooked up, test things out before installing all the console, dash, and glovebox back in to avoid have to dismantle again if you missed something.
5. All the plugs on the harness (assuming the right unit for our car is purchased) only fit in the plugs that they need to go in. Each plug on the back on the OEM stereo is shaped different, so no worries about plugging something in wrong.

To me, the actual install was easy, the time consuming part was dismantling everything in the car and reassembly, which was easy as well, just takes time.

I actually snapped one pic when I had most of the dash and console apart, this was before I removed the glovebox, so I wasn't even done dismantling everything yet when I took this pic lol.

Extensive but so worth it, I can't wait to install mine. Are there rca jacks on the unit? I am installing some amps and subs while installing my android unit.
Old 02-11-20 | 06:15 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Originally Posted by Itzyaboijd
Extensive but so worth it, I can't wait to install mine. Are there rca jacks on the unit? I am installing some amps and subs while installing my android unit.
Have you purchased a harness to run an aftermarket amp? The stock headunit does not have any RCA outputs, the harness you purchase from any car audio place, or online, is what will give you the RCA jacks to run an aftermarket amp.
Old 02-11-20 | 06:23 AM
Itzyaboijd
Driver School Candidate

Have you purchased a harness to run an aftermarket amp? The stock headunit does not have any RCA outputs, the harness you purchase from any car audio place, or online, is what will give you the RCA jacks to run an aftermarket amp.
No I have not purchased a harness to run an aftermarket amp. That's weird the replacement Android unit does not have RCA outputs on it. I guess I gotta buy a Hi/Low adapter. 🤔 What kind of harness did you buy?

Quick Reply: Deezy's 2014 IS