Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 3IS owner vehicles

Deezy's 2014 IS

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-20, 06:27 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Received 286 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Coming together so nicely. Really good job loving it. And not just cause I have one (black/black non F-sport 2014) but I especially like that it's the base model. Very original/ unique, and personally I like the base front bumper better. Just dont like my plastic trim grille, but anyways.

What vinyl did you use to wrap that? From here it looks like it matches well, does it?
I bet it took a lot of guts to wrap that new CF hood haha but looks grea .
Thanks for the compliments Homer!

I agree, I really like the shape of the base bumper, it's just the grill I don't like, I'm surprised there is no aftermarket grill replacements (that I have seen), If I could replace just the grill with something better looking then I wouldn't bother with a F-Sport conversion. Pretty much every Lexus IS I see on the road around me, even non F Sports have the newer bumper/grill, so I like that mine is unique / different and has nice fog lights, but just like you I don't care for the grill insert. I'm going to keep looking around for options, or perhaps see if I could possibly try to custom fabricate a sport grill into the base bumper, likely with the help of a body shop.

As far as the wrap, yeah it was little sad to cover that beautiful carbon fiber with a wrap, But I want to stick with my all black theme . Guts would have been to paint (which I considered), but a wrap can be removed without damaging the CF at all, so I could always go back if I wanted to for any reason. When doing wraps myself (i'm not bad at wrapping myself and have wrapped a lot of things) my favorite brand wrap to use is VViViD, but after getting pricing on the amount of wrap I needed, plus have a super busy week, I got some quote from some of the top rated car wrap places in my area and the cost to have a pro do it was not very much more so I decided to take it to a shop this time, I believe the wrap they used was "Avery".

It came our really good and extremely close to matching the paint, can only actually tell a difference, slightly, under my very bright LED shop lights, but in normal natural light, even direct sunlight, I cannot see a difference. I believe the only reason I can even tell a slight different under super bright LEDS is because my fenders have slightly faded due to age / sun, I think on a newer car or fresh paint, it would match almost perfectly.
Old 03-03-20, 10:25 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by whoismiked
Thanks for the compliments Homer!

I agree, I really like the shape of the base bumper, it's just the grill I don't like, I'm surprised there is no aftermarket grill replacements (that I have seen), If I could replace just the grill with something better looking then I wouldn't bother with a F-Sport conversion. Pretty much every Lexus IS I see on the road around me, even non F Sports have the newer bumper/grill, so I like that mine is unique / different and has nice fog lights, but just like you I don't care for the grill insert. I'm going to keep looking around for options, or perhaps see if I could possibly try to custom fabricate a sport grill into the base bumper, likely with the help of a body shop.

As far as the wrap, yeah it was little sad to cover that beautiful carbon fiber with a wrap, But I want to stick with my all black theme . Guts would have been to paint (which I considered), but a wrap can be removed without damaging the CF at all, so I could always go back if I wanted to for any reason. When doing wraps myself (i'm not bad at wrapping myself and have wrapped a lot of things) my favorite brand wrap to use is VViViD, but after getting pricing on the amount of wrap I needed, plus have a super busy week, I got some quote from some of the top rated car wrap places in my area and the cost to have a pro do it was not very much more so I decided to take it to a shop this time, I believe the wrap they used was "Avery".

It came our really good and extremely close to matching the paint, can only actually tell a difference, slightly, under my very bright LED shop lights, but in normal natural light, even direct sunlight, I cannot see a difference. I believe the only reason I can even tell a slight different under super bright LEDS is because my fenders have slightly faded due to age / sun, I think on a newer car or fresh paint, it would match almost perfectly.
Yeah thats true you didn't do anything permanent.

I too prefer the vvivid in the few things I've done, Like chrome delete. Used 3M for interior because I really liked their matte CF.

Idk why but Im really surprised it matches so nicely. I consider wrapping to prevent further swirling (which btw i may bug you about how you care for your clear coat).

Just recently I thought maybe wrapping just the front bumper and hood since they're demolished with rock chips. I mean bad bad.

Would you mind checking your invoice or confirming they used Avery Gloss black? Avery code: SW 900-190-O. Thst must be it only other close option is metallic black which I doubt.
Old 03-03-20, 06:25 PM
whoismiked
Advanced

Yeah thats true you didn't do anything permanent.

I too prefer the vvivid in the few things I've done, Like chrome delete. Used 3M for interior because I really liked their matte CF.

Idk why but Im really surprised it matches so nicely. I consider wrapping to prevent further swirling (which btw i may bug you about how you care for your clear coat).

Just recently I thought maybe wrapping just the front bumper and hood since they're demolished with rock chips. I mean bad bad.

Would you mind checking your invoice or confirming they used Avery Gloss black? Avery code: SW 900-190-O. Thst must be it only other close option is metallic black which I doubt.
Yes it is Avery Gloss black. But honestly I think you should just go with Vvivid gloss black. A some of my parts are wrapped in vvivid and I have a bunch of spare vvivid and I just went out and lined it up next to my hood and fender under intense bright lights just a bit ago and the vvivid matches even better. Out in natural light they both match great, but I can tell under super bright high lumen leds that the vvivid is an even better match.

But if your purpose is to prevent rock chip damage you would be better off with a clear PPF (paint protection film), when applied correctly it is completely invisible and it is way better at reducing impact damage from rocks than vinyl wrap is.
Old 03-04-20, 07:41 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Yes it is Avery Gloss black. But honestly I think you should just go with Vvivid gloss black. A some of my parts are wrapped in vvivid and I have a bunch of spare vvivid and I just went out and lined it up next to my hood and fender under intense bright lights just a bit ago and the vvivid matches even better. Out in natural light they both match great, but I can tell under super bright high lumen leds that the vvivid is an even better match.

But if your purpose is to prevent rock chip damage you would be better off with a clear PPF (paint protection film), when applied correctly it is completely invisible and it is way better at reducing impact damage from rocks than vinyl wrap is.
Thanks for checking that out and the suggestion. Just remembered I have some vvivid gloss black for redoing some chrome trim . I'll go compare too.

If I end up keeping this car I'll definitely repaint the bumper (or replace with retro fitted facelift bumper) and apply PPF. My idea for wrapping was more of a band-aid for now as my financial goals dont allow for that yet. Putting the PPF on now would be too late. I'll send you a pic of my front bumper its awful.
The following users liked this post:
whoismiked (03-04-20)
Old 03-04-20, 07:49 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Finally installed my MVTuning elelids last night, I wrapped them in VVivid gloss black, I think they look great and fitment was perfect, but it took two months to get them. I'll take some pics soon when it's not raining.

Thanks for checking that out and the suggestion. Just remembered I have some vvivid gloss black for redoing some chrome trim . I'll go compare too.

If I end up keeping this car I'll definitely repaint the bumper (or replace with retro fitted facelift bumper) and apply PPF. My idea for wrapping was more of a band-aid for now as my financial goals dont allow for that yet. Putting the PPF on now would be too late. I'll send you a pic of my front bumper its awful.
I can understand that, that was one of the factors for me that pushed me into the decision of ordering a new hood, besides the new hood looking great lol. My hood had so many rock chips and scratches that no amount of paint correction would make it look right, so I finally committed to just getting the new hood, was quite expensive, but I am in love with it. Wrapping your hood to make it look fresh may be a good option, but if there are any deep scratches, gouges, rock chips, they will likely show through the vinyl wrap, unless you do something to fill them in / smooth them out before wrapping

The rest of the paint on my car is nearly flawless, except the old hood, fenders, and lower part of the bumper, lot of rock dings :/ Where I live seems like half of the vehicles on the road are 18 wheelers who throw rocks all over the damn place

Last edited by whoismiked; 03-04-20 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-17-20, 10:10 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,398 Likes on 641 Posts

Love it! Very clean and well done.

- Alec
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

whoismiked (03-17-20)
Old 03-23-20, 09:03 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Originally Posted by RRRacing
Love it! Very clean and well done.

- Alec
Thanks Alec!

After my warranty is out (about another 1.5 years). I want to make a trip out to PA to visit your shop and have my car supercharged by you guys. I love what you guys do, your products and customer service are the best!

Last edited by whoismiked; 07-03-21 at 10:27 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by whoismiked:
GR3Y5H3ART (03-25-20), RRRacing (03-23-20)
Old 03-23-20, 10:25 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,398 Likes on 641 Posts

Thanks Alec!

After my warranty is out (about another 1.5 years). I want to make a trip out to PA to visit your shop and have my car supercharged by you guys. I love what you guys do, your products and customer service are the best!
I like the sound of that! Thank you for the kudos - we'll be ready whenever you are
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

whoismiked (03-23-20)
Old 03-25-20, 11:19 AM
JNP1227
Advanced

Received 169 Likes on 121 Posts

Clean build!
The following 2 users liked this post by JNP1227:
AquaMayne (07-12-21), whoismiked (03-25-20)
Old 03-25-20, 08:31 PM
GR3Y5H3ART
Lead Lap

Received 102 Likes on 75 Posts

Thanks Alec!

my feelings after reading about your Future plans:

Deezy's 2014 IS-sp2zmff.jpg
The following 2 users liked this post by GR3Y5H3ART:
RRRacing (03-26-20), whoismiked (03-26-20)
Old 03-26-20, 04:11 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Originally Posted by JNP1227
Clean build!
Thanks dude!

Originally Posted by GR3Y5H3ART
my feelings after reading about your Future plans:

Haha trust me anticipation is a word that certainly resonates with me, I'm such a go big or go home type of guy and it's hard for me to be patient with things that excite me or bring me joy. There are so many things I want or want to do, but trying to get my wallet to behave right now while the economy is in the dumpster and everything is shut down / closed so I am practicing my patience. Then as far as the supercharger / any motor work, I'm trying my hardest to keep my warranty valid while I have it and refrain from any motor work ..... but it's a Lexus ... I shouldn't need it right?! *thinking* lol.
Old 04-26-20, 12:18 AM
whoismiked
Advanced

Finally put the eyelids on and got the OEM illuminated doors sills

Sasnuke (04-26-20)
Old 04-26-20, 07:23 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Front end is looking mean with the hood and lids.
whoismiked (04-26-20)
Old 04-26-20, 03:49 PM
whoismiked
Advanced

Got a couple good photos today

Last edited by whoismiked; 04-27-20 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-26-20, 04:16 PM
NikNikNik
Pole Position

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Looks good 👌🏻 I see you’re going for the black out look, why not smoke the fog lights?
whoismiked (04-26-20)

Quick Reply: Deezy's 2014 IS