Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

Another car...another build thread - '01 GS 430

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-20, 05:25 AM
kcdehart
Rookie

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Still trying to figure out a steering shake I've got between 55-65mph. Ordered caster arms (the bushings on mine are dry rotted pretty badly) and steering rack bushings (again......the ones I ordered from TM Engineering at the end of Feb are nowhere to be seen and they aren't replying to my emails). Really hoping one of those takes care of it! Been in the process of moving to Fredericksburg lately, so haven't had much of a chance to really do much on/with it in the last few weeks. Finally got it out on some backroads this weekend and it was awesome Left the trans in 4th with the throttle controller on and it really hauled - this thing surprises the hell out of me with its cornering ability.

I also did a little rust cleanup yesterday on the driver doorsill (under the kick plate). Sanded it down till I found shiny metal, then masked off and resprayed with touch-up paint. Turned out pretty nicely and hopefully wards off any more rust there.

Also, finally some decent pics of the car as it currently sits.

Last edited by kcdehart; 04-28-20 at 05:28 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by kcdehart:
firelizard (05-22-20), SlowSedan (04-28-20)
Old 04-29-20, 06:49 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I'd order superpro bushings from Figs. A lot of people have had issues with communication getting Daizen bushings from TM Engineering and that is the opposite expeirence that I've had at Figs. Superpro bushings are also extremely high quality and I'd fully recommend them. If you're looking for a little bit more, the superpro sways will make it corner much much better.
Old 04-29-20, 07:17 AM
kcdehart
Rookie

Originally Posted by captainva
I'd order superpro bushings from Figs. A lot of people have had issues with communication getting Daizen bushings from TM Engineering and that is the opposite expeirence that I've had at Figs. Superpro bushings are also extremely high quality and I'd fully recommend them. If you're looking for a little bit more, the superpro sways will make it corner much much better.
I ended up going with Ricochet poly bushings (from eBay). I ordered them for my rear sway bar as well and they arrived quickly and appeared to be good quality.
Old 04-29-20, 04:58 PM
nyc80rick
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kcdehart
Still trying to figure out a steering shake I've got between 55-65mph. Ordered caster arms (the bushings on mine are dry rotted pretty badly) and steering rack bushings (again......the ones I ordered from TM Engineering at the end of Feb are nowhere to be seen and they aren't replying to my emails). Really hoping one of those takes care of it! Been in the process of moving to Fredericksburg lately, so haven't had much of a chance to really do much on/with it in the last few weeks. Finally got it out on some backroads this weekend and it was awesome Left the trans in 4th with the throttle controller on and it really hauled - this thing surprises the hell out of me with its cornering ability.

I also did a little rust cleanup yesterday on the driver doorsill (under the kick plate). Sanded it down till I found shiny metal, then masked off and resprayed with touch-up paint. Turned out pretty nicely and hopefully wards off any more rust there.

Also, finally some decent pics of the car as it currently sits.

dope about moving to Fredericksburg. I work in Richmond during the week but live in VA beach so you’re getting closer. Once all this virus stuff blows over hopefully we’ll still have some car events maybe we can meet up.
The following users liked this post:
kcdehart (04-29-20)
Old 04-29-20, 06:39 PM
kcdehart
Rookie

Originally Posted by nyc80rick
dope about moving to Fredericksburg. I work in Richmond during the week but live in VA beach so you’re getting closer. Once all this virus stuff blows over hopefully we’ll still have some car events maybe we can meet up.
Yeah, I'm looking forward to some car meetups around here! I've heard the scene is pretty decent. Loving the area otherwise so far, as well
Old 04-30-20, 05:07 AM
ELLeon
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

@nyc80rick you guys have some nice cars show up at meets there. Our meets it all depends on what it is that we get a good turn out here in MN.
Old 04-30-20, 07:25 AM
nyc80rick
Lead Lap

Springfest is in Va Beach on August 30th it’s supposed to be end of May but it got postponed. Plan on making it out to that I’m not sure about meets in Fredericksburg but in the beach it’s a lot. Also I’m close friends with Japanese Classics the importers in Richmond they normally have 2 open houses a year. So I’ll keep you posted on that.
kcdehart (04-30-20)
Old 04-30-20, 07:25 AM
nyc80rick
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ELLeon
@nyc80rick you guys have some nice cars show up at meets there. Our meets it all depends on what it is that we get a good turn out here in MN.

yeah we have some nice ones for the area.
Old 04-30-20, 12:30 PM
kcdehart
Rookie

Originally Posted by nyc80rick
Springfest is in Va Beach on August 30th it’s supposed to be end of May but it got postponed. Plan on making it out to that I’m not sure about meets in Fredericksburg but in the beach it’s a lot. Also I’m close friends with Japanese Classics the importers in Richmond they normally have 2 open houses a year. So I’ll keep you posted on that.
Awesome - I've heard of Springfest but have never been cuz I've always been on the west side of the state. I actually have a few friends in the Richmond area car scene (drifting, mainly) as well. One of those open houses would be awesome to go to for sure!

Also, replaced my center console latch yesterday. Nice to have one that's not being held down by velcro now! The rear cupholder is getting replaced next. Couldn't find just the insert for a reasonable price, so found the whole armrest on eBay and plan to swap out the inside and sell whichever shell isn't quite as nice (mine's still in great shape, so it's a toss up). So if anyone's looking for a black rear armrest, lemme know!

Last edited by kcdehart; 04-30-20 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-02-20, 09:33 PM
kcdehart
Rookie

Replaced my AC condenser, added a trans cooler, and replaced my caster arms today! I'm amazed I had cold AC at all.....The caster arms got rid of a pretty bad vibration around 60-65mph and made the car feel soooo much more solid. Definitely gonna work on getting other bushings replaced around the suspension.

Old 05-03-20, 07:23 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 466 Likes on 380 Posts

Nice work. I installed a very similar cooler in the same location. Good peace of mind. Is that a Hayden? That condenser has seen better days. But they are quite surprising how bad they can get and still work lol. I've had cars missing all the fins between the galleys and still work. As long as there's no leak haha. But surly a new one with all the fins will work better on a really hot day.
kcdehart (05-12-20)
Old 05-03-20, 08:54 AM
kcdehart
Rookie

Originally Posted by TrueGS300
Nice work. I installed a very similar cooler in the same location. Good peace of mind. Is that a Hayden? That condenser has seen better days. But they are quite surprising how bad they can get and still work lol. I've had cars missing all the fins between the galleys and still work. As long as there's no leak haha. But surly a new one with all the fins will work better on a really hot day.
Yeah, went with a Hayden from Rockauto. I'd put one on my 4Runner a few months back and it made a huge difference, so figured it couldn't hurt at all on the GS for how cheap they are.

And I still need to refill my AC, but I'm looking forward to it being niiiice and cold this summer
Old 05-04-20, 01:55 AM
semsem1979
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Team :

Pls help me to provide me if any one have wiring diagram for the oxygen sensor .
Because the 4 color cable is removed totally and no one able to reconnect again as the color is different from any other lexus
My car is GS430 2001 MODEL .

The photo showing 4 color cable coming from the computer

Thnks
Old 05-05-20, 11:34 AM
kcdehart
Rookie

Originally Posted by semsem1979
Dear Team :

Pls help me to provide me if any one have wiring diagram for the oxygen sensor .
Because the 4 color cable is removed totally and no one able to reconnect again as the color is different from any other lexus
My car is GS430 2001 MODEL .

The photo showing 4 color cable coming from the computer

Thnks
Not really sure about that one, sorry man. Might wanna try putting it in a more general area of the forum.
Old 05-22-20, 08:44 AM
kcdehart
Rookie

Haven't done a *ton* on it lately. Just been hitting the local backroads and loving it

BUT I did pick up a Curt trailer hitch (for $90 on Amazon...I'm convinced it was mistyped because the exact model number hitch was $250 everywhere else) and a motorcycle trailer for towing my other toy (pictured below) to trackdays/Tail of the Dragon, and for hauling mountain bikes. It's also super easy to remove when I want the car to look clean. My 4Runner is great for towing, but sucks at long distance stuff because of mud terrain tires and incredibly poor gas mileage.

Quick Reply: Another car...another build thread - '01 GS 430