Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

Another car...another build thread - '01 GS 430

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-20, 02:49 PM
kcdehart
Rookie

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Got out and made an exhaust video today! Definitely pretty obnoxious at WOT/needs resonators lol

Also, if anyone can identify what might be causing the squeaking coming from my rear suspension, I'd appreciate it...I'm not sure if it could be the spherical UCAs? Maybe endlinks or something?
The following users liked this post:
RSGS430 (10-15-20)
Old 05-28-20, 08:32 PM
firelizard

Received 442 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by kcdehart
Also, if anyone can identify what might be causing the squeaking coming from my rear suspension, I'd appreciate it...I'm not sure if it could be the spherical UCAs? Maybe endlinks or something?
Originally Posted by kcdehart
I ended up going with Ricochet poly bushings (from eBay). I ordered them for my rear sway bar as well and they arrived quickly and appeared to be good quality.
Is my bet.

kcdehart (05-28-20)
Old 05-28-20, 08:43 PM
kcdehart
Rookie

Originally Posted by firelizard
Is my bet.
Fair bet. I'll add some more lube to them and see if anything changes.
Old 06-01-20, 01:07 PM
kcdehart
Rookie

Was looking things over recently and discovered that I had a sticking slide pin in my passenger front caliper. The pin itself was rusty and no longer slid smoothly even after being cleaned up. It had damaged the new rotor I'd installed -_-

Figured rather than replacing, I might as well upgrade....just when I thought I was finished spending money on it lol

Managed to find a great deal on freshly rebuilt LS400 calipers and rotors, grabbed RCAs from an awesome eBay seller that custom makes them, and also ordered Stoptech Street pads/braided lines all around. Gonna have a nice big install party at a friend's shop this weekend. Hoping to get my rear diff fluid changed out (planning to use Mobile 1 Delvac 75w-90) and finally replace my steering rack bushings while I'm at it. AND still need to get the hitch installed/wired up before Tail of the Dragon at the end of the month. One of the current hitch mount bolts went from a 17mm to a 16.5mm when I got an impact on it.....so wish me luck there.
Old 06-02-20, 05:19 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 464 Likes on 378 Posts

Nice, will like to see them installed. I went with what sounds like the same setup too. SS lines and all. Great budget bbk kit. I have an LS430 setup for the rear I'll be installing to. Nothing like a nice set of larger rotors behind your wheels of choice. What year is your CBR? I sold my 2010 1000rr that was Repsol replicated last year. Definitely my favorite bikes. Just promised the wife to lay off riding for a while after my last wreck.
Old 06-02-20, 05:40 AM
kcdehart
Rookie

Originally Posted by TrueGS300
Nice, will like to see them installed. I went with what sounds like the same setup too. SS lines and all. Great budget bbk kit. I have an LS430 setup for the rear I'll be installing to. Nothing like a nice set of larger rotors behind your wheels of choice. What year is your CBR? I sold my 2010 1000rr that was Repsol replicated last year. Definitely my favorite bikes. Just promised the wife to lay off riding for a while after my last wreck.
Yeah, I can't wait to get em installed. Should look and perform great.

And the CBR is an '05 600RR. I absolutely love it. Was originally black, but I found a guy who didn't like his perfect Repsol fairings, and wanted to trade for my scratched, black fairings (for a 'track set'). Fine by me!
Old 06-08-20, 04:34 AM
kcdehart
Rookie

Didn't quite get everything done that I wanted this weekend, but made some good progress!

Got poly steering rack bushings installed, replaced diff fluid, and got my trailer hitch installed! It was a pain thanks to the bolt holes not *quite* lining up. Ended up spending a few hours enlarging the holes on the bracket/my old tow hooks, test-fitting, and then enlarging them more. That was some *tough* metal. (pardon the sorry state of my rear bumper...it'll get repainted when I fix the rear quarter dent)

This week I need to install my LS400 brakes and track down a power steering leak. Really hoping it's just an o-ring somewhere...we'll see. I plan to delete the air control valve while I'm at it, though.

Also installed a 500w Kicker amp that a friend was getting rid of. My stereo was pretty lacking before, but now it's right where I want it.

Last edited by kcdehart; 06-08-20 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-11-20, 05:53 AM
kcdehart
Rookie

Brakes and RCAs are on! Everything went smoothly, and they feel awesome. Had to max out my coilover height to account for the RCAs (and to keep my tires from rubbing). So not sure how that affects the benefits the RCAs typically provide.....The car is still a good bit lower than stock though, so I'll just assume the RCAs still helped.

The following 2 users liked this post by kcdehart:
Arussto (06-13-20), TrueGS300 (06-11-20)
Old 06-12-20, 06:30 AM
Arussto
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

You seem to enjoy spending money on the GS. As most of the regulars here do!
i am sure you will keep finding more and more innovative ways to give you an excuse to spend more. We all do. I have one Toyota Aristo 99 and two front halves. A store room 25% volunetrically filled cupboards all over the house all filled with stuff in twos and some threes that i may never use!

I think it s the way these cars surprise us that we go ape making them into super luxo gran touring GT Hyper Family Sedan cars😁😁😁

Enjoying your journal as many would. Please dont stop.🙂
kcdehart (06-12-20)
Old 06-12-20, 06:44 AM
kcdehart
Rookie

Originally Posted by Arussto
You seem to enjoy spending money on the GS. As most of the regulars here do!
i am sure you will keep finding more and more innovative ways to give you an excuse to spend more. We all do. I have one Toyota Aristo 99 and two front halves. A store room 25% volunetrically filled cupboards all over the house all filled with stuff in twos and some threes that i may never use!

I think it s the way these cars surprise us that we go ape making them into super luxo gran touring GT Hyper Family Sedan cars😁😁😁

Enjoying your journal as many would. Please dont stop.🙂
Yeahhh, not sure I enjoy the money spending part, but I definitely enjoy restoring it to some of its former glory/improving on bits here and there. And "super luxo gran touring GT Hyper Family Sedan" is a pretty accurate name for my goals for this one lol! It seriously impresses me in pretty much every way. Now that I have the RCAs on it handles soooo well for a seemingly large car. Very balanced in corners. The power is great, the auto trans is bearable if you keep it in 3rd/4th on backroads (I think that's the one piece I'm not a huuuge fan of). And despite all that, it manages to be a very comfortable place to be, and is holding up remarkably well for its age.

Definitely planning to keep this car around for a while. I think it balances out my fleet well.

Getting it aligned today, and then immediately driving a few hours down to Virginia Beach - which will actually be the first time I've done much interstate in it. Looking forward to being comfy and seeing what kinda gas mileage it eeks out.
Arussto (06-13-20)
Old 06-17-20, 10:46 AM
kcdehart
Rookie

Replaced my radiator support as the old one was dented in multiple places and causing some issues with the hood closing. No clue what happened to the old one to make it that way, but I'm definitely glad it's a replaceable piece....

Also ordered an undertray since mine is nonexistant. Hoping it'll help with airflow a bit, but mainly just wanting to keep crap out of my engine bay.

Old:

New (used, but not dented):
Old 06-18-20, 03:25 PM
kcdehart
Rookie

Undertray installed! Still missing a corner piece in the driver's front (see: the entire front fender liner), and some of it is being held on with zipties (need to find some of the OEM screws or something similar) but this let me reinstall the pieces that go over the sway bars, and should keep my engine from getting quite so filthy.

Last edited by kcdehart; 06-18-20 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-18-20, 08:37 PM
captainva
Instructor

Received 270 Likes on 236 Posts

LRB speed makes an aluminum replacement
Old 06-19-20, 05:32 AM
kcdehart
Rookie

Originally Posted by captainva
LRB speed makes an aluminum replacement
Yeah, I was eyeing that and will likely get one in the future. I wanted *something* for an upcoming trip though (for the sake of gas mileage, dirt protection, and cooling), and couldn't really fork out the $250 at the moment/their lead time would've put its arrival well past the trip date.
Old 06-30-20, 05:46 AM
kcdehart
Rookie

Towed 2 bikes 500 miles to Tail of the Dragon and it did great! Coolant temps got a bit high going through the NC mountains with 85 degree air temps, but I put the heat on a little and rolled the windows down and they dropped back to normal. Time to look for cooling system upgrades of some sort, I suppose. Trans temps stayed low though, thanks to the cooler.

Suuuper impressed with the car's handling on the Dragon itself. I did not go easy on it and it did not fail to impress. Brakes were great and never faded, turn-in was awesome (I thank the RCAs and my alignment for this), and my tires stuck well. I had drivers of both an E92 M3 and a Miata come up to me after they couldn't keep up and ask what the hell I had done to it "Big body cars should not move like that" Made me love this thing even more!

I did run into one issue though....my tail light brake lights stopped working. After my last Dragon run of the trip (1am Saturday night catching up to a turbo GS300 that turned out to be a really poor driver. He pulled off for me and I kept going fast) I stopped and turned the car off. Turned it back on, and it wouldn't go into gear. and threw a code for my brake light sensor. I found that the STOP fuse was blown, swapped in a spare 20A (yeah, 5A too high, but all I had :/) and they worked till I got home. Turned it on in the morning and now only my 3rd brake light was working. Found that the TAIL fuse was blown, too. Replaced it, and still no brake lights in the tails, only the 3rd brake light. Wondering if I may have overheated a resistor in the lights using the brakes so much? Then putting the 20A fuse in let too much power flow through and screwed em up permanently? Gonna be digging into em today to see if I can find something wrong. If not, time to replace my recently-replaced tail lights........
MDMXLX (06-09-21)

Quick Reply: Another car...another build thread - '01 GS 430