Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

Another car...another build thread - '01 GS 430

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-20, 04:40 PM
kcdehart
Rookie

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Another car...another build thread - '01 GS 430

Hey all, I recently picked up this '01 GS430! It's got 220k miles, but is in great shape and has had a good bit of maintenance done recently. Figured I'd start a build thread from the get-go to basically document everything I do with it.

Mods when I bought it were:
Yonaka coilovers
G35 wheels
Black aftermarket tail lights (I'm not a fan and will probably swap them out for something more OEM, or a bit more my style)
Kenwood double-din headunit

It's recently had the timing belt and UCAs changed, along with some other bits and pieces. I'm planning to do coil packs (I've noticed that some have been replaced but not others - I ordered 8 Densos to put my mind at ease), knock sensor (it's throwing a code), spark plugs (I'm sure the rich tune from the knock sensor going bad has killed these), speed sensor (also throwing a code), tires (all 4 are mismatched......), Daizen steering rack bushings (can never be too tight), and brakes all around (they vibrate like a ****). Will replace the lower balljoints, as well - since those are apparently a problem piece.

I'm a huge fan of the black/wood interior, and the self-leveling headlights are sweet. I'm no stranger to Toyotas (that's my 4Runner, as well) but this is my first Lexus. So far I love it! Can't wait to get the little issues sorted out.

Another car...another build thread - '01 GS 430-qtxt0jll.jpg
Attached Thumbnails Another car...another build thread - '01 GS 430-qtxt0jl.jpg  

Last edited by kcdehart; 03-12-20 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-02-20, 11:24 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

Nice find there. Good luck with your build. I too have an 01GS430 with 186K miles and she runs great. Get all your maintenance done. That knock sensor is a ***^%PITA job.
Old 03-02-20, 01:20 PM
kcdehart
Rookie

Originally Posted by BiGEZ
Nice find there. Good luck with your build. I too have an 01GS430 with 186K miles and she runs great. Get all your maintenance done. That knock sensor is a ***^%PITA job.
Thanks! I can't wait to get things sorted out. This knock sensor is making it run/respond so poorly.

I've had a couple cars where pretty much anything that needed doing required removing the intake manifold (3000GT, 4Runner) so I'm sure I'll be able to tackle this on fine. I'm just not looking forward to having to drain the fuel rails. If I could get away with not doing that I'd be incredibly happy.
Old 03-02-20, 03:54 PM
kcdehart
Rookie

Today I registered the car (still need to come up with a custom license plate), reinstalled the trunk torsion bars that the last owner had removed for his sub, had a new key cut since the factory one was falling apart (the P.O. gave me a blank, so I swapped internals over and it's working great now! I do need to find a screw to hold it together, though) cleaned out the trunk and under the back seats, gave it a wash, and swapped out my reverse lights for some LEDs I had laying around for my 4Runner (I can see behind me at night now!).

Still waiting on major parts to start rolling in - should have tires showing up tomorrow! Brakes, knock/wheel speed sensors, coil packs, ball joints, and other random goodies (headunit bezel, gas/trunk release, shifter lockout cover, etc...) should be arriving later this week. Gonna be a busy weekend
Old 03-02-20, 07:53 PM
nyc80rick
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks like you got a good buy. I just picked up a 01 gs430 to daily I still have my swapped gs300 that will be my weekend car once body and paint is done.

your car looks good happy modding
The following users liked this post:
kcdehart (03-02-20)
Old 03-02-20, 08:06 PM
firelizard

Received 442 Likes on 350 Posts

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Once you get it driving right, with no shaking and vibrating, it'll be pretty rewarding.
kcdehart (03-02-20)
Old 03-03-20, 04:01 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 464 Likes on 378 Posts

I like the look of the G35 wheels on the GS. Surprisingly nice . Here in So-Cal these cars, both I6 and V8, are so dang cheap and available I've always wanted to pick up a 430 just to see the other side. My plan for my 300 to be my daily is probably going to go away once it's in the 700-800whp range and I'll need another calm daily lol. Might just get into one yet. Nice buy!

Last edited by TrueGS300; 03-12-20 at 05:32 AM. Reason: grammer
kcdehart (03-03-20)
Old 03-03-20, 05:30 AM
kcdehart
Rookie

Originally Posted by nyc80rick
Looks like you got a good buy. I just picked up a 01 gs430 to daily I still have my swapped gs300 that will be my weekend car once body and paint is done.

your car looks good happy modding
Yeah, I definitely didn't realize it needed as much work as it does, but oh well. I fortunately work from home, and have another vehicle, so it's not a problem if it's down waiting for parts or something like that.

Originally Posted by firelizard
Sounds like you're off to a good start. Once you get it driving right, with no shaking and vibrating, it'll be pretty rewarding.
I can't wait. The wheel balance and warped brakes are killing me right now...
Originally Posted by TrueGS300
I like the look of the G35 wheels on the GS. Surprisingly nice . Here in So-Cal these cars, both I6 and V8, are so dang cheap and available I've always wanted to pick up a 430 just to see the other side. My plan for my 300 to be my daily is probably going to go away once it's in the 700-800whp range and I'll need another cam daily lol. Might just get into one yet. Nice buy!
I was surprised how good they look as well. The fitment is pretty good, and they're forged, which makes em good in my book. I may go for something different in the future, as they've got some curb rash on them, but for now I'm happy with em.

And unfortunately, GS's are pretty expensive here on the east coast. Especially if you're searching for black leather/HIDs like I was. I got this one for $3300 (not realizing quite the extent of work needed) and it was the cheapest one I could find at all within 5 hours of me. I just got lucky it had the specs I wanted.
Old 03-03-20, 05:57 PM
kcdehart
Rookie

Welp, took it to Advance to see if there were any codes - other than the ones my OBD II dongle can read - since my VSC/TRAC lights are on even when I clear my CEL. And sure enough! Got 4 related to the brake booster and one for an 'ignition circuit fault' (which is apparently usually brake booster related). I checked all fuses and relays for that (fine), checked charging voltage (also fine @ 14.6v) so have ordered a used '01+ brake booster for ~$270. Hopefully that clears things up! This thing'll be 90% brand new by the end of the month lol

Last edited by kcdehart; 03-04-20 at 04:54 AM.
Old 03-11-20, 06:07 AM
kcdehart
Rookie

Replaced the bank 1 knock sensor, coil packs, and radiator (along with various vacuum hoses) last weekend.

Ordered a new PCV because my system has a good bit of oil in it. Also ordered a vapor feed pipe because mine was broken when I pulled things apart. Not sure exactly what that does, but vacuum leaks are never a good thing.

Brake booster, rotors/pads, cabin air filter, and spark plugs (probably should've done them at the same time as coil packs, but they're not too hard to get to, fortunately) are this weekend, then having a shop replace my wheel speed sensor next Monday....the last owner 'fixed' the old one - after messing it up during the coilover install - by cutting off the connectors and twisting the wires together. And because that wasn't janky enough, he held the new speed sensor into the hub using a screw/drywall anchor in the bolt hole..........Gotta love buying used cars lol
Old 03-15-20, 09:35 AM
kcdehart
Rookie

Yesterday I swapped the entire interior/trunk lights to LED using a kit I found on eBay. Not a bad price and they seem plenty bright - we'll see how they last!

Also replaced rotors/pads all around, swapped out the driver's rear door actuator, and fixed that vapor line. Speed sensor will be replaced by a shop tomorrow, and they're putting on new tires and fabbing up an exhaust as well! I'll be aligning it later in the week because mine is horrible right now. The last owner didn't seem to understand that lowering a car messed with alignment, and the toe/camber murdered the tires....

It's almost ready to *actually* be driven and I can't wait!
Old 03-23-20, 06:20 AM
kcdehart
Rookie

Allllllright, new exhaust is on and I love it! Liiiitle 'brappy' under WOT, but nothing I can't deal with. I'm sure it'll break in a bit more as well.

Also got that speed sensor resolved, got the new tires on, and changed spark plugs, another door actuator, and replaced the main PCV hoses. Unfortunately, now that I've sorted out some other major things, I'm realizing that my MAF is dying and that my valve cover gaskets also need replacing. Doesn't look like too bad of a job, fortunately.

That in mind, my list for this week is: New tail lights (*not* a fan of these black ones) and throttle controller are showing up today. Alignment Wednesday. Then doing sway bar bushings, steering rack bushings, MAF, and valve cover gaskets if I've got some time after work Thursday/Friday. Then Saturday reinstalling the factory subwoofer (which the P.O. removed, leaving a hole from the trunk into the main cabin that's making exhaust drone horrible) and adding some sound deadening in the trunk. Gonna be a busy week, but it's so close I can't wait.

Last edited by kcdehart; 03-23-20 at 06:27 AM.
Old 03-23-20, 07:23 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 464 Likes on 378 Posts

Break in? Break in what? lol. Straight pipes all the way out.. Thats going to get old quick. I'm sure it's more than brappy at WOT. I've drove cars with straight pipe and its horrible drone constantly. No break from the noise even just cruising. Whatever makes you happy though .
Old 03-23-20, 07:32 AM
kcdehart
Rookie

Originally Posted by TrueGS300
Break in? Break in what? lol. Straight pipes all the way out.. Thats going to get old quick. I'm sure it's more than brappy at WOT. I've drove cars with straight pipe and its horrible drone constantly. No break from the noise even just cruising. Whatever makes you happy though .
I'm hoping *something* breaks in and gets a little better lol. The drone really isn't bad when it's just cruising, up hills is pretty loud though. I'm hoping reinstalling the speaker and some sound deadening will help, since there's literally just a hole into my trunk right now. If it doesn't I'll have them weld the factory resonators back in.
Old 03-23-20, 02:53 PM
kcdehart
Rookie

Tail lights are in! They're so much better than the black, water-filled ones that came on it (see the exhaust pic above). Also installed the A'pexi throttle controller and am loving actually having throttle response!

Also found some more *wonderful* wiring done by the last owner. He seemed to have a thing for cutting off OEM connectors and then twisting the wires together.......

Quick Reply: Another car...another build thread - '01 GS 430