Build Threads Details on Club Lexus IS-F owner vehicles

2014 Ultra White Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-21, 04:33 PM
truespeed
Rookie

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Now that the headers are in, I wanted to put the car back on the dyno before the install to see what I picked up from the JoeZ/PTS exhaust. As promised I told y'all I would keep track of the gains from each mod, so here's the first update! Baseline as you can see from a previous post came in at 361hp 357tq. Estimated gains from the exhaust are 20/10, and I came in just under this. Final numbers from the exhaust came in at 376hp 366tq, so +14whp and 9tq. Not too bad for just an exhaust. There are some condition differences as well. The first dyno was in January - the guy showed me the temp difference (which was specific to inside the dyno room) and there was about a 20 degree difference. Same conditions we expected a little more power, so probably right at what the 20/10 estimates are. I would really love to break 400whp with the headers! Here's a picture of the graph.

The following users liked this post:
JT2MA71 (06-25-21)
Old 06-26-21, 02:53 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

I think you will get there with headers.
Old 06-26-21, 07:43 PM
truespeed
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
I think you will get there with headers.
Definitely would be awesome. I do plan to add cat's though so I know that's going to rob some power. From what I've seen online its about 10ish hp.
Old 06-27-21, 12:01 PM
Jwconeil

ISFs with headers and exhaust Dyno anywhere between 400 and 430, so I still think you will meet your goal.
Old 06-28-21, 06:55 PM
truespeed
Rookie

ISFs with headers and exhaust Dyno anywhere between 400 and 430, so I still think you will meet your goal.
Nice yeah it seems there's a pretty big gap. Thats also without a tune as well. I think I will see what happens with the headers and cats and decide what's next for power. Once the headers are wrapped up I think I will be going towards either full coilovers or the lip kit!
Old 07-01-21, 06:45 AM
Jwconeil

I’ve seen an ISF with headers, exhaust, and e30 dyno 430 whp. I’ve also seen a FBO ISF running e30 dyno the same number. Your mileage may vary.
Old 07-03-21, 08:41 AM
truespeed
Rookie

I’ve seen an ISF with headers, exhaust, and e30 dyno 430 whp. I’ve also seen a FBO ISF running e30 dyno the same number. Your mileage may vary.
Nice that would be an awesome number to hit for sure!

Should have the headers installed this week. I think I might do the same as I did with the exhaust and drive it for a month or two and put it back on the dyno. I saw on here a post where someone installed their exhaust and then immediately hit the dyno and didn't pick up any power, so I gave it awhile before I tried per the suggestions on that post. I dont think that would be the case with the headers, but I'm not in a huge rush - and, well, it worked the last time haha.
Old 07-11-21, 06:39 PM
truespeed
Rookie

Headers are on! The sound is definitely wild. I couldn't really notice a difference with the exhaust power wise, but I can definitely feel a difference with the headers in. I dont have any pictures of the install this time - I was at work and wasn't able to be there through the install, plus it was a two day job. Also did starter and motor mounts. I didn't realize it, but apparently my starter was going bad as there's a massive difference in how the car starts now.

I am getting the cat codes even though I am using a defouler, so we're trying to figure out what's going on with that. I honestly do have plans to add cats though - I don't want to deal with the EPA headache with inspections. I just had the car inspected though last month, so I have some time before I have to add them in.

Since I'm not in a huge rush for cats I am thinking either coilovers or lip kit next. I am interested in the new HKS coilovers coming this fall, so I might go for the lip kit since that has a few months before they're realized. I also heard CKS coilovers are pretty good. Apparently there actually is an ISF application, so I could try those out too. Who knows!?
Old 07-13-21, 07:33 PM
Beans12
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats! Would love a sound clip if you have a moment
Old 07-19-21, 11:35 AM
fchdx
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

The white is stunning! +1 to hearing a sound clip of your headers. Subscribed to this build, excited to see what you have coming next.
Old 08-11-21, 06:07 PM
truespeed
Rookie

Originally Posted by Beans12
Congrats! Would love a sound clip if you have a moment
I need to make one, I've been slacking!

Originally Posted by fchdx
The white is stunning! +1 to hearing a sound clip of your headers. Subscribed to this build, excited to see what you have coming next.
Thanks for subscribing!
Old 08-11-21, 06:12 PM
truespeed
Rookie

So after the header install I mentioned above that I wasn't in a huge rush for cats even though I wanted them. Well, the past few weeks I've been looking for GESI 50025 cats and apparently there's a huge backorder from April that still hasn't been filled, so that's basically on hold. I switched gears and wanted to do those next, as the fumes are pretty bad in the car. I've heard about the trunk vents (and someone told me that they actually help with the smell with the windows down?!) so I plan to replace those, but the smell is pretty overwhelming. I also park my car in the garage and my garage smells like exhaust haha.

However, since I couldn't get the cats and don't really know when they're coming, I went on and ordered an HPS elbow, an aFe dry filter, and the RR tune. I know I said coilovers or lip kit, but I figured I might as well get rid of the CEL and also wrap up my planned engine mods before moving onto another part of the car. Ordered everything today, so hopefully shipping is quick!
JT2MA71 (08-12-21)
Old 08-12-21, 11:09 AM
Jwconeil

My entire trunk interior smelled like exhaust when I removed it. It’s definitely your vents. They probably need replaced every five years or so. Replace them and you should be good. I went a step further and put exhaust tips on that carry the exhaust through the bumper and behind my car. If the windows are down, I still smell my car when not moving, but it’s not as intense, and I don’t notice any smells otherwise. The garage still smells a bit when I back out, but that’s never going to change without good cats.
Old 08-12-21, 06:29 PM
truespeed
Rookie

After I posted this I actually started thinking about tips to extend it past the bumper. Do you have the PTS/JoeZ exhaust? If so, what tips did you use to extend it out?
Old 08-15-21, 08:05 AM
Jwconeil

I have single tips, which haven’t been hugely popular amongst the lexus crowd. I like them. They stick out about an inch too far, so I plan to modify them a little after I get my lift in. I sort of wish I had went with black tips now that I have them, but it’s too late for that lol.

If you want dual tips on the PTS exhaust, you will have to go custom. There are no direct slip on options.

Im surprised more don’t do something like this. It’s not disputable that these cars put exhaust into the cockpit. The rubber flaps were designed to stop that, but they clearly don’t do a great job of it, degrade quickly, and the question still remains of whether they stop the exhaust in the first place.
truespeed (08-23-21)

Quick Reply: 2014 Ultra White Build Thread