Build Threads Details on Club Lexus IS-F owner vehicles

2014 Ultra White Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-20, 08:08 PM
truespeed
Rookie

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 2014 Ultra White Build Thread

Hey everyone! I picked up a 2014 Ultra White ISF about a month ago and since I've started to do some things to it I wanted a spot to document it. Nothing major yet, but I have some plans for it. Still unsure about everything I want to do - so follow along and see where I ended up! I created an instagram too for the F lovers out there....@ultra_isf.

Here's the day I picked it up!

The following users liked this post:
cm6063 (11-25-20)
Old 06-12-20, 08:18 PM
truespeed
Rookie

The first change happened before I even left the lot - the Carmax rear license plate frame and the Carmax decal on the trunk were both removed at the dealership. It was cool though the sales manager asked me if I wanted them removed before I left because "the decals just don't belong on some cars". Next, NC doesn't require front license plates, so I wanted to find a solution for the front plate. I removed the Carmax plate, and the bracket was drilled straight into the bumper. I found a website called bumperplugs.com that makes paint code color matched plugs to cover the holes. I bought them and am pretty pleased with how it turned out.

After that, I took it to a PDR place in town and had a door ding removed. It was on the crease in the drivers side door, but they did an awesome job of removing it. It was small but noticeable - no pictures though because you can't really see it haha.

Last edited by truespeed; 06-12-20 at 08:34 PM. Reason: added door ding.
AntiStupid (10-13-20)
Old 06-12-20, 08:36 PM
truespeed
Rookie

After knocking out some of the small stuff, it was time for tint. I decided to go with carbon 20% all around, but nothing on the windshield.

Old 06-12-20, 08:49 PM
truespeed
Rookie

Now onto the rear bumper issues. Whenever I bought the car from Carmax, I had it transferred from Florida. The car showed up, but the local Carmax called me and said there was a spot on the rear bumper where the paint was chipped and spidering out and they sent it out to be fixed. Two days later, I was able to see the car. it looked fine, but fast forward about a week, and the primer started showing through the rear bumper.

They couldn't get me in for a week and a half to fix it, so I waited patiently to drop it off on Saturday, May 30th so they could have the car there and ready to go first thing Monday. Car was done by 5 that same day, which sketched me out again. I double checked the bumper in the parking lot, but really the only thing I noticed was some small trash spots. It annoyed me, but didn't kill me, so I left.

Fast forward to last Saturday, June 6th, and I was looking the car in the daylight (its been raining here in NC every dang day for an eternity it seems), and not only is the primer showing through AGAIN, there's overspray on the reflectors in the bumper, trash in the paint way more than what I originally saw, two bad runs, and overspray on the passenger side exhaust tips. Called Carmax, sent in pictures, and I'm dropping the car off Monday morning to have all of this fixed. To their credit - the Carmax team has actually been really cool, but I feel like I should've been more careful last time I went and picked it up. It was really weird tho when the guy called me back to schedule - he said for the guy to do it right he needs to take the bumper off...I was like um yes he does it obviously needs to be done right I don't care if he has to keep it 3 or 4 days to do it correctly as long as its a proper repair. This poor bumpers going to have basically two hack jobs worth of paint on top of the OEM and an ADDITIONAL fix on it now. Third times a charm though, right? Hopefully its good to go this time - either way I want a rear diffuser, but even though you won't be able to see the spots that are messed up, I know they're there and it'll mess with my car OCD.

Thats where the thread comes to a pause so far. Dropping the car off Monday to hopefully be the last time I need a fix for the bumper. After that, I have a full detail, paint correction and ceramic coating (Modesta BC-08) scheduled for July 6th and will be back with some pictures once that is taken care of. After that happens, I plan to fix some rash on the factory wheels...and then the fun starts!
darkwithn (01-09-24)
Old 06-13-20, 08:07 AM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats on the purchase. You get the better wheels and the carbon trunk spoiler. Enjoy cause you have a rare one.
Old 06-13-20, 08:12 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Congrats. You have an excellent car.
Old 06-13-20, 09:09 PM
truespeed
Rookie

Originally Posted by kzlflash
Congrats on the purchase. You get the better wheels and the carbon trunk spoiler. Enjoy cause you have a rare one.
appreciate it! Yeah the rareness of the 2014 makes me hesitate on mods a little bit, but I still plan to do some thing!

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
Congrats. You have an excellent car.
thank you! I got lucky with the find for sure.
Old 06-16-20, 07:54 PM
truespeed
Rookie

Got the car back today from CarMax for the 3rd repaint attempt on the bumper. The good news is the trash and runs are out. Fingers crossed that the primer doesn't bleed through again. I have an appointment set up for July 6th for a paint correction and Modesta ceramic coating!
Old 06-18-20, 10:32 PM
Beans12
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats on the purchase! Always cool to see a 2014. The nice thing about these cars and modding is it's fairly limited and mostly reversible. Basic I/H/E bits and maybe a tune and you're good to go. Doesn't really ruin the integrity of the car from a collector standpoint IMO.
Old 06-24-20, 07:24 PM
truespeed
Rookie

Originally Posted by Beans12
Congrats on the purchase! Always cool to see a 2014. The nice thing about these cars and modding is it's fairly limited and mostly reversible. Basic I/H/E bits and maybe a tune and you're good to go. Doesn't really ruin the integrity of the car from a collector standpoint IMO.
nice to hear that! It’s definitely on my mind.
Old 06-24-20, 07:31 PM
truespeed
Rookie

About 1.5 weeks until the paint correction and ceramic coating and I can’t wait!

After this, next step will be lowering the car. I’ve really been looking at options and I just think Swift Springs are my best option. I’m not interested in the slammed look and I don’t need something in depth for track use as I’ll never put the car on the track. After this I think it will be time for wheels. I really am thinking of 18x9.5 Gram Light 57CR for the car. I’ve seen some 18s on here and I think the meatier tire looks great on the car!

Next update will be the paint correction and ceramic coating pictures and less me talking, haha!
Old 06-25-20, 06:01 AM
PJSnow
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by truespeed
About 1.5 weeks until the paint correction and ceramic coating and I can’t wait!

After this, next step will be lowering the car. I’ve really been looking at options and I just think Swift Springs are my best option. I’m not interested in the slammed look and I don’t need something in depth for track use as I’ll never put the car on the track. After this I think it will be time for wheels. I really am thinking of 18x9.5 Gram Light 57CR for the car. I’ve seen some 18s on here and I think the meatier tire looks great on the car!

Next update will be the paint correction and ceramic coating pictures and less me talking, haha!
Sounds like track mods are not your focus so I just wanted to bring this to your attention. Since you have a 2014, you have the most refined version of the ISF suspension. I've heard that swift springs are a step backwards in terms of "harshness" compared to the 2011+ suspension. If you prioritize ride comfort over track performance, you may want to look at different lowering options compared to swift springs. Everyone will have different opinions but that is just what I have read from this forum (I too am looking to lower at least the front but I don't want to sacrifice the comfort of my 2011 suspension). Best of luck in whatever you decide.
Old 06-25-20, 07:07 PM
truespeed
Rookie

Originally Posted by PJSnow
Sounds like track mods are not your focus so I just wanted to bring this to your attention. Since you have a 2014, you have the most refined version of the ISF suspension. I've heard that swift springs are a step backwards in terms of "harshness" compared to the 2011+ suspension. If you prioritize ride comfort over track performance, you may want to look at different lowering options compared to swift springs. Everyone will have different opinions but that is just what I have read from this forum (I too am looking to lower at least the front but I don't want to sacrifice the comfort of my 2011 suspension). Best of luck in whatever you decide.
Great info - I hadn't seen that anywhere yet in my searches. Definitely looking to retain as much of the stock ride quality as possible, just lower the car a little bit. Do you have any suggestions other than the swifts?
Old 06-25-20, 08:26 PM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 165 Likes on 89 Posts

I demonstrated through testing that the springs from 2008 to 2012 are essentially the same stiffness and all the improvement was in the dampers.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ing-rates.html.
truespeed (07-14-20)
Old 06-25-20, 08:43 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by truespeed
Great info - I hadn't seen that anywhere yet in my searches. Definitely looking to retain as much of the stock ride quality as possible, just lower the car a little bit. Do you have any suggestions other than the swifts?
Since you have a 14, all spring only changes will degrade ride quality. The 12 plus suspension is very refined, but under spring for track performance. Unfortunately, your gonna need to spend some bigger bucks on high end coilovers to go lower and preserve that 14 ride quality.

Quick Reply: 2014 Ultra White Build Thread