Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

R150 Swap: An affordable, competitive alternative to the R154

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-20 | 08:56 PM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

Roger that, I'll have to jump on some research as well.. thank you very much for the insight....
Old 10-01-20 | 07:25 AM
Crevasse
Driver

From my research, unfortunately it seems the H-series bellhousing, while similar, will not bolt directly to an R-series box. However there are several places that fabricate and sell aftermarket 1UZ to R-series bellhousings, I know people who have used them without issue. So, to answer Tallyhoe's original question, yes, this swap would work for an SC400, you just need to purchase a 1UZ-compatible bellhousing and clutch kit.
Old 10-01-20 | 09:49 PM
MrGi11
Driver

Smile

Originally Posted by Tallyhoe
Roger that, I'll have to jump on some research as well.. thank you very much for the insight....

Maybe this?
The following 2 users liked this post by MrGi11:
KahnBB6 (10-02-20), Tallyhoe (10-02-20)
Old 10-02-20 | 02:45 PM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

Originally Posted by MrGi11
OOOOOH!! Snap, Thank you very much for this...
Old 10-03-20 | 10:07 PM
MrGi11
Driver

https://i.imgur.com/SXwc602.jpg

Got it. Now to collect all the parts. Thanks @Crevasse
The following users liked this post:
Crevasse (10-05-20)
Old 10-05-20 | 10:12 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

they make aftermarket bellhousings for the R series (get the right length there is short and long), and you can also use the adapter plate as shown above.
lots of ways to do it!
KahnBB6 (10-06-20)
Old 01-06-21 | 12:00 AM
MrGi11
Driver

Hey @Crevasse , how's it going with the 150 swap so far, everything gravy. I will be attempting the swap in A couple of weeks and I'm waiting on my 3.26 pumpkin. Speaking of which, did you ever install it?

Also can I ask you a favor- maybe make a video of how it runs? I want to hear the sounds of rowing the gears (I know , I'm a weirdo....lol) Maybe a lil clip of 1st and 2nd shifts, RPMs?

Thanks and I hope you are having a wonderful new year!

Very respectfully,

Mr. Gill
Old 01-07-21 | 07:04 AM
Crevasse
Driver

Funny you should ask, unfortunately I have not. I had heart surgery back in October (as if the year couldn't have gotten weirder) and as such everything got put on hold. While I was in the hospital post-operation, the property manager at the apartments I live in noticed that I was storing the pumpkin in a spare storage unit (mine was already full of car parts lol) and threw it away...It had been sitting there for months so I didn't think it would be an issue. Anyways I'm just about fully recovered now, I'm cleared to drive and lift things again so I'll go looking for a new pumpkin.

Sometime this weekend I can definitely get a video of idle/running through gears. Keep me posted on your swap project when you get started!
Old 01-08-21 | 07:52 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by Crevasse
Funny you should ask, unfortunately I have not. I had heart surgery back in October (as if the year couldn't have gotten weirder) and as such everything got put on hold. While I was in the hospital post-operation, the property manager at the apartments I live in noticed that I was storing the pumpkin in a spare storage unit (mine was already full of car parts lol) and threw it away...It had been sitting there for months so I didn't think it would be an issue. Anyways I'm just about fully recovered now, I'm cleared to drive and lift things again so I'll go looking for a new pumpkin.

Sometime this weekend I can definitely get a video of idle/running through gears. Keep me posted on your swap project when you get started!
Crevasse, I am relieved to hear you are all right now post surgery! I hope things are going much better for you through your recovery.

The apartment manager just throwing away a substantial vehicle part is ridiculous. Did he know it belonged to you?

Hope the beginning of your year is going much better for you
Crevasse (04-19-21)
Old 01-09-21 | 06:45 AM
MrGi11
Driver

Good day to you,

Please do take care of yourself. Heart problems ain't nothing to eff with, runs in my family.

No rush on anything man, do what you can when You can. It's really messed up what your manager did, but here's to a better new year for you and and the rest of the world. 🍻🍻🍻🍻 And wishing you all the best in a speedy recovery!

Take it easy, brother.

Rishi
Old 03-27-21 | 02:16 AM
sc3hundo
Rookie

Default difference between 2.4l and 4.3l

Hey guys,
First time on CL, haha pretty excited to join the community!
I'm really looking forward to doing this swap, but I'm wondering if the R150 came in both the 2.4L and the 4.3L 1996+ Tacoma's. The transmissions behind the 2.4L seem to be way more plentiful.
Thanks!!
Old 03-27-21 | 06:33 AM
Crevasse
Driver

Welcome sc3hundo!

Unfortunately only the 3.4L models came with the R series transmission. The other smaller displacement models came with a W series transmission.

Last edited by Crevasse; 09-29-22 at 06:43 AM.
sc3hundo (03-27-21)
Old 03-27-21 | 08:38 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

Tacoma 3.4L 5vz-fe 96-04 R150 is the one you can just bolt the R154 bellhousing and stuff on.
sc3hundo (03-27-21)
Old 03-27-21 | 11:14 AM
sc3hundo
Rookie

Welcome sc3hundo!

Unfortunately only the 4.3L models came with the R series transmission. The other smaller displacement models came with a W series transmission.
Thank you Crevasse and Ali! I'll be going to a pick and pull and get this swap going asap!
Old 04-19-21 | 11:19 AM
sc3hundo
Rookie

Hey @Crevasse one more question for you, Ive looked around and haven't been able to find an answer. Is the overall length of the R150 the same as the R154? I.e. could I use a custom 1pc driveshaft meant for an r154 in this application?
Alternatively, did you at any point measure the appropriate length for the driveshaft that you used?
Thanks in advance, and btw your parts list was amazingly helpful!

Quick Reply: R150 Swap: An affordable, competitive alternative to the R154