Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

R150 Swap: An affordable, competitive alternative to the R154

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-23, 08:06 AM
NamesJoe
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, I am a proud new owner of a 92 sc300 and have ordered basically all of the parts to complete this swap. Unfortunately, the one thing that I am having problems sourcing is the R150 trans! Could anyone give me some insight on a good way to source this? I am located 20 minutes north of Pittsburgh, PA. As far as I have looked, there are none in any of the pick-a-part places near me. Is it a safe idea to just try one of those mass part quote websites? This is my first project, and I am very eager to learn!! Thank you for your help!
Old 12-06-23, 10:05 AM
sc3hundo
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NamesJoe
Hello all, I am a proud new owner of a 92 sc300 and have ordered basically all of the parts to complete this swap. Unfortunately, the one thing that I am having problems sourcing is the R150 trans! Could anyone give me some insight on a good way to source this? I am located 20 minutes north of Pittsburgh, PA. As far as I have looked, there are none in any of the pick-a-part places near me. Is it a safe idea to just try one of those mass part quote websites? This is my first project, and I am very eager to learn!! Thank you for your help!
Car-part.com is where I search part yards for all my parts and is how i found my transmission. I was lucky to find a transmission with 35k miles for $350, they're usually around $650 now though. Here's a screenshot I did around the Pittsburgh area for a 2002 Tacoma, MT, 4x2, 6cyl.

Most of these are pretty far away. You may need to see if they can ship or set up shipping yourself
Best of luck! Remember to get a front half of a mk3 supra driveshaft, a center support bearing, and i would invest in a sc430 differential to reduce the final drive since these gears are pretty short.
The following users liked this post:
madmax98 (12-07-23)
Old 12-06-23, 10:58 AM
NamesJoe
4th Gear

Originally Posted by sc3hundo
Most of these are pretty far away. You may need to see if they can ship or set up shipping yourself
Best of luck! Remember to get a front half of a mk3 supra driveshaft, a center support bearing, and i would invest in a sc430 differential to reduce the final drive since these gears are pretty short.
Thank you for the quick reply! When you say to get the front half of a mk3 driveshaft, would I need that if I did a one-piece custom from Drift Motion? And thanks for the idea on the dif, I was looking around for what would be compatible. Cheers.
Old 12-06-23, 11:34 AM
sc3hundo
Rookie

Thank you for the quick reply! When you say to get the front half of a mk3 driveshaft, would I need that if I did a one-piece custom from Drift Motion? And thanks for the idea on the dif, I was looking around for what would be compatible. Cheers.
Nope! Somewhere up there, I posted the length you need to give driftmotion for the 1 piece driveshaft, measured from the tailshaft of the transmission to the flange on the (stock) sc300 diff. And good luck. Just a note, I haven't put in a 1 piece driveshaft in the sc300, but one thing I'd double check is if it will interfere with the exhaust. If it does, you'll probably have to weld together a custom one so it clears
Old 12-06-23, 12:39 PM
NamesJoe
4th Gear

Another question for the group, I looked all over for tq and hp ratings for the R150 and I am seeing so many different and seemingly low answers. If it's the same as the R154, wouldn't it be able to handle the same amount of power? What is the highest tq/hp that you have seen go through this trans?
Old 12-06-23, 12:42 PM
sc3hundo
Rookie

Another question for the group, I looked all over for tq and hp ratings for the R150 and I am seeing so many different and seemingly low answers. If it's the same as the R154, wouldn't it be able to handle the same amount of power? What is the highest tq/hp that you have seen go through this trans?
From what I know, the r150 is nearly identical to the r154 in all aspects but great ratio and gear width. The r150 had slightly thicker gears. I would argue that whatever the r154 can hold (which is in the ballpark of 700hp/tq) the r150 can hold slightly more. Hopefully someone else can give you a solid number
NamesJoe (12-06-23)
Old 12-15-23, 05:01 AM
NamesJoe
4th Gear

Hello again! I sourced a tranny and now I have a question about the flywheel and clutch kit. I was hoping to hit around 500hp when I am "done" working under the hood. I am looking for some opinions/ideas for these parts. Below are the links I have found that should all work.

Flywheel:
Driftmotion 1JZ Lightweight Flywheel for R154
1JZ Driftmotion Flywheel 19.5lb for R154/JZ
Clutch Masters Aluminum Lightweight Flywheel - Toyota 1JZGTE - Enjuku Racing Parts, LLC
*SPEC Billet Steel Lightweight Flywheel - Toyota 1JZGTE - Enjuku Racing Parts, LLC

Clutch Kit
*SPEC Stage 2+ Clutch Kit - Toyota 1JZGTE - Enjuku Racing Parts, LLC
NEW Driftmotion Stage 3.5 Clutch Kit for R154
Action Stage 3 Clutch Kit for R154 (driftmotion.com)

I am trying to spend less that $600 on a clutch kit and 450 on a flywheel. My parts form amayama came in way faster than I thought they would so I wanna get these ordered asap! Thanks for you help and consideration.

-NamesJoe
Old 01-01-24, 07:45 PM
tfwnoturbo
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Would any R150 off a 96+ 5VZ work? or is the Taco's the only one that's usable on account of input shaft length?
Old 01-02-24, 10:46 AM
sc3hundo
Rookie

Originally Posted by tfwnoturbo
Would any R150 off a 96+ 5VZ work? or is the Taco's the only one that's usable on account of input shaft length?
From what I can find, the r150 off thr 5VZ is an r150f which is a 4wd transmission. You'd need a 2wd v6 transmission for this to work. I'm not sure if you can take the transfer case off and swap in a 2wd output shaft.
Old 01-02-24, 10:50 AM
sc3hundo
Rookie

Hello again! I sourced a tranny and now I have a question about the flywheel and clutch kit. I was hoping to hit around 500hp when I am "done" working under the hood. I am looking for some opinions/ideas for these parts. Below are the links I have found that should all work.

Flywheel:
Driftmotion 1JZ Lightweight Flywheel for R154
1JZ Driftmotion Flywheel 19.5lb for R154/JZ
Clutch Masters Aluminum Lightweight Flywheel - Toyota 1JZGTE - Enjuku Racing Parts, LLC
*SPEC Billet Steel Lightweight Flywheel - Toyota 1JZGTE - Enjuku Racing Parts, LLC

Clutch Kit
*SPEC Stage 2+ Clutch Kit - Toyota 1JZGTE - Enjuku Racing Parts, LLC
NEW Driftmotion Stage 3.5 Clutch Kit for R154
Action Stage 3 Clutch Kit for R154 (driftmotion.com)

I am trying to spend less that $600 on a clutch kit and 450 on a flywheel. My parts form amayama came in way faster than I thought they would so I wanna get these ordered asap! Thanks for you help and consideration.

-NamesJoe
I have the driftmotion lightweight flywheel and i can recommend it, it has given me no issues.
As for the clutch, I have an exede stage 2 single disc, but honestly i wish i went with a twin disk for drivability. Hope that helps. I'd trust anything driftmotion sells
Old 01-02-24, 02:27 PM
tfwnoturbo
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sc3hundo
From what I can find, the r150 off thr 5VZ is an r150f which is a 4wd transmission. You'd need a 2wd v6 transmission for this to work. I'm not sure if you can take the transfer case off and swap in a 2wd output shaft.
Of course, 2WD's a given. However I'm more asking for the sake of sourcing a 2WD R150 out of a 95+ T100 or Tundra. Did some looking around and the Toyota parts catalog lists the input shaft as the same p/n for all three T100, Tundra and Taco, and from visual references all three transmissions look practically identical. Could open up some more options as opposed to strictly taco transmissions if they are mostly interchangeable.
Old 01-18-24, 12:22 PM
naluloa
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Jumping on this thread with my GS400. Looks like the R150 will be viable in my GS!

There are adapters out there for 1uzfe to R154, so I'm assuming a R150 will work all the same.

My only concern is that my drive shaft and the output shaft of the R150 might not meet correctly. I also don't think the SC400, SC300, and GS 400 use the same drive shaft, so would I need a custom drive shaft for an R150 swap to work?
Old 02-28-24, 12:23 AM
Skimgr
1st Gear

Default 3rzfe work?

Question would a 2.7 from a 3rzfe work?
Old 02-28-24, 09:56 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I think the 3rz came with a W series transmission. Wasn't until the next gen taco the 4 cylinder got a r155 but I want to say it is the short input shaft version.
The older R150 from the truck/4runner 3VZ generation also has a short input shaft so it is not the ideal one to get either.

What you want is a 2wd r150 from a tacoma or tundra 5VZ that has the long input shaft to work with an oem 1jz/r154 bellhousing.
That odd t100 year I am not sure but generally if its bolted to a 5vz it has the long input shaft.
Another option is the solstice ar5 transmission setup. There are threads on it already.
KahnBB6 (02-29-24)
Old 08-14-24, 06:41 PM
killxjoy31
1st Gear

Default parts list?

can anyone list the parts needed? parts link wont load correctly.
please and thank you