Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

1993 SCC400 Rebirth

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-20, 07:30 AM
perfctreig
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
Default 1993 SCC400 Rebirth

This is going to be a thread to document the rebirth - for lack of a better term - of my son's 1993 SC400. I introduced myself in this post (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...l#post10926367)

So, what I have is a 1993 SC400 with a few mods already underway. The plan is to manual swap it, put on some nice wheels and tires, fix the cluster lights, get in decent seats, add back in the airbag, and put in a new head unit with Apple CarPlay capability, and then get it painted and any interior bits refinished. I don't really care about horsepower or super speed, just a fun weekend driver. (I am over 50, after all.) I'm in constant contact with the Southern California Lexus group, who have offered to do much of the grunt work on the car. I just need to purchase parts.

So, here's what I have. It is a 1993 SC400 with 237,000 miles. I'm guessing the timing belt has never been changed. Daniel had purchased a timing belt kit, power steering pump as well as a widebody kit. He was in the process of adding the panels and fitting them.

You can see the first panels on the bumper of the black SC on my driveway:

It also looks like he replaced the stock steering wheel with one from a GS. I know in his plans, he stated he wanted a GS350 wheel.

I cannot find any color codes on the doors, hood, or trunk lid. It is currently painted black. I think the original color was the sandstone beige, but I'm not sure. I would like a ruby red or a maroon color.

Nevertheless, the trunk insulation was totally stripped. That'll have to go back in.

It seems he also did a LS brake conversion. The front brakes appear to be bigger than what I've been told stock SC brakes are.

He had also started on a five speed swap. He purchased a KA24DE transmission on OfferUp. I'll just need to get the other various parts and have this done. One of the local Lexus Club members has generously offered his shop to help this process along:

My son's plans were to also have exhaust work done. He listed 2.5" pipes, crossover, resonator delete, and to clean the offset magnaflow. For suspension, he listed and I plan to continue with Supra lower control arms, new outer tire rods, new shock mounts, new linkages, and track arm bushings.

Finally, he had a new differential. I'm thinking it is from a Toyota Supra, as he told me this once. However, I'll need to pull the cover and identify it.

So, the fun begins!
The following users liked this post:
DaveGS4 (11-09-20)
Old 11-04-20, 03:18 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

I love this! What a great way to spend time with your son and have him earn a toy that he'll remember fondly for the rest of his life.
Old 11-04-20, 03:50 PM
perfctreig
Intermediate

Actually, our younger son could care less if he had a de-tuned Honda Civic. He's into music. But my wife and I will work on this.

I should mention also, that he had bought some very cool wheels. They seem to be Work WorkEmotion 18" wheels with Nitto 18" tires.

They look super tight. I'll need to figure out the suspension.
Old 11-04-20, 06:42 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts

Great start to what sounds like a beautiful father and son project in the making! I'm looking forward to this!
Old 11-09-20, 03:55 AM
TitanG545
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Don't subscribe to many build threads but subscribing to this one. Do it for Daniel.
The following 3 users liked this post by TitanG545:
KahnBB6 (11-10-20), perfctreig (11-10-20), RudysSC (11-09-20)
Old 11-12-20, 09:59 AM
perfctreig
Intermediate

Took the car out of the driveway and properly put on the new shoes. Remember, we don't need winter tires here in Southern California, so I can have the Wrox wheels on all year.

Being a truck guy at heart, I never would have considered wide white wheels. But they work. Of course, they rub like crazy right now.

While the old wheels were off, I took a look at the brakes. I'd heard Daniel had replaced the brakes but I'm thinking he didn't. These appear to be standard SC400 brakes.

While up on the jack, I peered underneath. I see the radiator is not in good condition. Will be grabbing a new one asap.

On the plus side, I see someone put nice coil overs on the car. Not sure of the brand.

There also doesn't appear to be too much oil under the car. Not bad for a 27 year old vehicle with 230,000 miles.

Tallyhoe (11-12-20)
Old 11-12-20, 01:29 PM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

Received 140 Likes on 109 Posts

Like them wheels. Too wide for me, right now..
Old 11-12-20, 04:47 PM
KahnBB6

perfctreig, if your wheel size is 17" diamater or larger look into the 1995-2000 LS400 brake caliper conversion. That's an inexpensive bolt-in option to upgrade the braking system with a night and day difference. Available high performance brake pad selection is less than with Supra MKIV TT 93-02 big front calipers but it's still a massive improvement. Other aftermarket caliper swap options and mounting adapter kits are also available. Upgrading from the original sliding calipers and small rotors in the front is one of the first and best things I did with my SC.

Just check the offset and ability of any aftermarket rim to clear the larger calipers. I believe we have a thread here detailing a big list of aftermarket rims that will clear them.
The following 2 users liked this post by KahnBB6:
perfctreig (04-10-23), RudysSC (11-18-20)
Old 11-16-20, 09:47 PM
perfctreig
Intermediate

Shipped the cart off today to have the work done. No timeline, as the shop owner is helping Daniel's cause. I'll be buying a Collins kit and whatever else is needed.

My SC getting loaded on the flatbed

My SC being unloaded at the shop
Old 11-18-20, 02:45 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

This project really gets me excited! I'm thrilled to see more. Keep enjoying it best you can!!
Old 06-10-21, 03:35 PM
perfctreig
Intermediate

Question

Sorry for the long delay. I realized I hadn't posted anything in awhile, while we try to decide what to do with the car.

As it turns out, the potential cost to get this SC in a condition I'd want for daily driving is way more than it is worth and am willing to spend. I was told it would be around $15,000 by a guy who runs a shop here in Los Angeles and works on many SCs. The number one thing is frame damage. Yes, it can be straightened, but am not sure whether we want to spend the money.

In any event, I convinced my beautiful young bride to let me buy a newer SC400. So, in February, I found a great example of a '99 SC400 and pulled the trigger. I've already put around 10,000 miles on it. My younger son had bought a '02 LS430 to drive, but wrecked it. I don't want to buy a new car ATM, so he's driving my '16 Malibu Hybrid and I'm back in the SC for my daily commute. It had 180,000 miles and now has a little over 190,000 miles. Had to put about $5000 into it to fix all the old bits and get rid of the horrible DIY lights, but it is a dream to drive.

Here it is when I got it...

..and after getting my custom license plate for it.

So, back to the original build. That car is now "housed" at a buddy's house, next to his '97 SC300. We've looked it over and are still not sure what to do with it. The thought was to turn it into a drift or a track car. Daniel (itsav8) had originally bought a supercharger, and ordered an adapter plate. He also had a KA24 and a welded differential he was going to install.

So, in speaking with some of the local Lexus club geeks, I need to come to a decision. Do I forge ahead with this potential money pit or just get another early block 1UZ 400 and start fresh?

Any opinions out there?

Last edited by perfctreig; 06-10-21 at 03:35 PM. Reason: forgot something
Barbary (06-11-21)
Old 09-13-21, 05:30 PM
perfctreig
Intermediate

Found a video Daniel made of the car starting. This is best viewed with headphones.

Old 09-14-21, 12:11 AM
KahnBB6

Both cars sound beautiful! The first one does have a nice bassy sound though! Much as I love my inline-six there is still nothing quite like the sound of a 90-degree V8!
perfctreig (09-14-21)
Old 09-14-21, 08:44 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Glad to see you enjoying the new SC you picked up! She's a beauty. I understand the dilemma with your son's car... I'm sure you're quite attached to it and I would be too. These cars are tough because they can get to a certain point where they get awfully expensive to get dialed in. However, perhaps a future track toy may be a great purpose for it and would probably require a lot less to get it to that point as opposed to getting it ready to daily drive.
perfctreig (09-14-21)
Old 09-14-21, 11:40 AM
madmax98
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Hi Kai
I'm glad you're still active on the forums
I hesitated so much before I pushed the "reply" button, so I'm hoping I can communicate my mind well.

I've owned my car since 2006. I remember it being the most reliable ever. I was always at peace driving that car. I wish I had pictures but i wasn't obsessed with the car that much back then lol I started modifying the car shortly after... Started with the suspension...Headlights...etc.. random odds and ends.
It wasn't till 2008-2009 when I decided to get more "serious" and did the 5 speed conversion. Later that year, I took my engine out, put a GTE short block, turbo and full EMS. The car was a blast... breaking necks left and right. But I lost that "peace" driving it. My senses got 10 times better, it seemed, when I drove the car. I heard every squeak (even if no body else heard it). I smelled every whiff of anything that did not resemble pure air. I saw every swirl mark. And that ultimately kept me anxious while using that car on the regular basis.

Then comes the unreliability. Compared to OEM, reliability will always suffer (at least for Toyota). Some of the unreliability came from my own crappy work, I admit it. A lot of the unreliability also came from the parts I purchased, although popular and expensive. For example, I had an oil pressure sensor somehow break while i was driving and leaked 4 quarts of oil till I caught it! A bad sensor had a quality issue (although top name brand) and almost cost me an engine. I spent a day or two restoring the car. Another example; An Optima battery decides to not start because temp was over a 100 F, and I'm stranded again. I hit an obnoxious bump and my tire eats through the harness, and I'm on the side of the fwy, in a shirt and tie, duct taping my harness in June's heat...The list goes on...

I didn't realize how much of that "peace of mind" I lost till I decided to commute in a fully OEM Acura. Never had to worry about a thing. Almost like when I started driving the SC.

My point is, once a car is modified, you'll lose reliability. You just have to decide how much is tolerable. This can be difficult if you're not fully familiar with the car. It's also really expensive to try to undo everything, assuming you know what to undo. So, if you're in a position where you have to have a reliable car 99.9999999999% of the time to get to work, pick up a wife, run errands, AND have enough funds to restore everything to OEM, then go for it. Otherwise, a "weekend warrior" or a track monster might be more appropriate for the car.

I realize this's a sensitive subject considering the history of the car, and I want to assure you that I said the above with the most sincere intentions and warmest heart. I hope not much communication was lost through words and I don't come off as blunt or rude.

Good luck and let me know if you need any help.

On a side note: Do you live in Palmdale/Lancaster?

Last edited by madmax98; 09-14-21 at 11:44 AM.
perfctreig (10-05-21)

Quick Reply: 1993 SCC400 Rebirth