Build Threads Details on Club Lexus IS-F owner vehicles

Lexicon72's Build Blog

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-21, 03:30 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

How often do people mention your wing when they see you buzzing around Chicago?
Old 04-02-21, 05:57 PM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

I'm in Cincinnati, not too far from you. I'm 50/50 on the wing. Some angles it looks really good and at other angles not so much. It was an impulse buy for the track. Installed over the winter so not tested yet. But I'm hoping the wing and OS Giken diff (going in soon) will help with corner traction.
Old 04-02-21, 06:31 PM
Jwconeil

They will both make a big difference.
The following users liked this post:
lobuxracer (04-03-21)
Old 04-03-21, 02:38 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

You might want to reconsider your spring rates with this combination.
Old 04-03-21, 03:35 PM
Jwconeil

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You might want to reconsider your spring rates with this combination.
16/14 too soft for that much downforce?
Old 04-03-21, 03:53 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
16/14 too soft for that much downforce?
Pretty likely. Depends on exactly how much downforce is generated, but 18/16 or 20/18 might be more appropriate for fast turns.
Old 04-03-21, 04:33 PM
lexicon72
Intermediate

I'm actually running 16/12 since that was like 4 year ago. I do have some sag a buddy of mine noticed during some test roll races today in Mexico.

Last edited by lexicon72; 04-03-21 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-03-21, 04:36 PM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WillAP1
Glad you got it figured out. Sounds really good man!
OK....I've concluded this mic setup sucks. Sometimes I get sound and sometimes I don't. Today I had sound for the first video and then no sound for the 2nd and all I did was turn the Go Pro on and off. @WillAP1 what part of the connection was bad for you.
Old 05-09-21, 11:27 AM
lexicon72
Intermediate

May 2021 - OS Giken differential install

She's baaaaaack! Finally got the OS Giken diff installed after just sitting on it all winter (Thanks Matt at SpeedFreakUSA!). I was not about to tackle the job myself so off it went to my independent mechanic who has done most of my mods. He was unsure about the fitment, but after showing him several threads and feedback that it was pretty straightforward, he went for it. It took longer than expected since the Lexus parts dept screwed up (twice!) the order for the axle seals (even though the old ones were fine). There was also a delay as we tried to find new exhaust gaskets for the Joe Z pipes (thanks to those who posted Vibrant 1457 2.5" gaskets which worked perfectly.) He was able to leave the suspension components alone so no re-alignment was necessary. I also swapped in the Figs / Superpro poly bushings at the same time.
Only had the car back 2 days but zero noise or whine and the car seems to be more rear happy as both wheels want to grip. I really like it. First real test won't be until June when I hit Mid Ohio (I'll get a small taste for a parade lap at Mid Ohio this weekend during the IMSA event - but I may let my son drive)
Picked up a set of titanium shims from RR Racing since my OEM ones were a little sketchy, Stay tuned!

Last edited by lexicon72; 11-10-21 at 09:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lexicon72:
BS ISF (05-10-21), redspencer (05-12-21)
Old 05-09-21, 12:25 PM
agtuning
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lexicon72
She's baaaaaack! Finally got the OS Giken diff installed after just sitting on it all winter (Thanks Matt at SpeedFreakUSA!). I was not about to tackle the job myself so off it went to my independent mechanic who has done most of my mods. He was unsure about the fitment, but after showing him several threads and feedback that it was pretty straightforward, he went for it. It took longer than expected since the Lexus parts dept screwed up (twice!) the order for the axle seals (even though the old ones were fine). There was also a delay as we tried to find new exhaust gaskets for the Joe Z pipes (thanks to those who posted Vibrant 4157 2.5" gaskets which worked perfectly.) He was able to leave the suspension components alone so no re-alignment was necessary. I also swapped in the Figs / Superpro poly bushings at the same time.
Only had the car back 2 days but zero noise or whine and the car seems to be more rear happy as both wheels want to grip. I really like it. First real test won't be until June when I hit Mid Ohio (I'll get a small taste for a parade lap at Mid Ohio this weekend during the IMSA event - but I may let my son drive)
Picked up a set of titanium shims from RR Racing since my OEM ones were a little sketchy, Stay tuned!

Nice build, just to clarify, vibrant exhaust gaskets seems to be part # 1457

https://vibrantperformance.com/catal...942159f2c50942
The following users liked this post:
lexicon72 (05-10-21)
Old 05-09-21, 03:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Believe me, you're going to love the way the diff works. It really makes a dramatic difference, far beyond what I anticipated.
Old 05-10-21, 05:14 AM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Originally Posted by agtuning
Nice build, just to clarify, vibrant exhaust gaskets seems to be part # 1457

https://vibrantperformance.com/catal...942159f2c50942
Thanks! You're right. I was going from memory which apparently isn't that good lol. Edited my post.
Old 05-12-21, 03:55 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 534 Likes on 316 Posts

Prepare to make some adjustments to your driving when you get back on track in June as the TCD has a noticeable difference with how your car enters and exit the corners. Throttle steering through the turns is endless fun on the track.
Old 05-12-21, 09:05 AM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Originally Posted by redspencer
Prepare to make some adjustments to your driving when you get back on track in June as the TCD has a noticeable difference with how your car enters and exit the corners. Throttle steering through the turns is endless fun on the track.
You aren't kidding! Just goofing around on the street and the rear end loves to slide even on 200tw tires. Never had that before. Now I see why drifter like this setup. I agree that I will have to re-learn the car's behavior on track. I can't wait.

Last edited by lexicon72; 06-03-21 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-02-21, 08:49 PM
ChpEng
Intermediate

Received 268 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by lexicon72
No rubbing issues, I'm even lowered maybe 1.5 inches too.
@lexicon72 Regarding your comment above "The extra tire width on the front helps to reduce the natural understeer of the car."
Did you notice the extra tire width in front also helps with turn-in response and braking distance specifically?

I have not tracked the car yet, and in aggressive canyon driving I try to keep it conservative with (mostly) straight-line braking and smooth brake, turn-in, power-out transitions. With relatively new Michelin A/S3's in OEM sizes on OEM wheels, the front end squirms a bit on brake/turn-in the transitions, especially if I need to brake or adjust my line mid-corner while under lateral load. I probably would not have noticed on the OEM suspension, but with double the front spring it just seems like the front is under-tired. This is probably a "captain obvious" comment from someone new to RWD, but it seems like the OEM setup with 225mm Front section width was selected to wash out the front end near the limit. (I am more accustomed to FWD cars that are set up to retain front grip but are super soft in the rear so they just will not rotate under lateral load.) Interested to hear your impressions if you care to expand upon the "natural understeer" comment above.

Quick Reply: Lexicon72's Build Blog