Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Road to a Time Attack Soarer

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-21 | 05:36 PM
GloriousSC
Driver

This is great to see another track build SC. I also have a road racing focused SC400 that I am building right now opposite side of the US in FL. It has been 17 years in the making. I am building it for OUSCI and One Lap of America. I got a fire under me this year to rebuild it after suffering massive loss with the car. 3 different people worked on it each destroyed it along with tens of thousands of dollars. Engine blew, trans blew and interior and exterior was destroyed. Sigh. Well its either time to dump it or finish it. I'm going to finish it.

I have a question on your cfd. what is the lowest pressure spot on the hood for venting a v mount radiator? How many inches up the hood? Also what direction are the strakes behind the rear tires vertically oriented or horizontal? I was about to build a diffuser starting from the diff and it didn't dawn on me to remove the sides until I saw your render.

Also do canards(dive planes) work on this body? I don't think they would. just dirty the air up. Just curious.

I had an idea to have 2 vents from the front bumper past the sides of the radiator up through the hood, putting 2 high velocity air streams through the engine bay next to the v mount radiator pulling out all the heat actively using the high pressure area in front of the car. Radiator ducted and sealed in the front but the back be open to the hood vent and the twin streams of air next to it. No one has ever done it but I got the idea from the Lotus Emira and the 720s/Senna venting air from the front to over the car.

Aerospace is interesting, I wanted to jump ship and go back and get my MS in Aerospace from Embry Riddle next year to learn this stuff. I am an 19 year EE.
The following users liked this post:
madmax98 (10-09-21)
Old 10-09-21 | 11:44 AM
madmax98
Instructor

Awesome... It's hard to build a specialized car... Every time you wanna do something, something else needs to be done first (because you wanna do it "right"). so a huge chain reaction ends up occurring for YEARS...
I'm becoming OK with the fact that a car will need to be done in stages... nothing will be done only once unfortunately.

Give me some time to answer your CFD question. I need to look for specific files and pull different simulations. I'll also respond to the other questions then...

Here's how she looks at the moment lol

perfctreig (10-11-21)
Old 10-11-21 | 04:20 AM
GloriousSC
Driver

Originally Posted by madmax98
Awesome... It's hard to build a specialized car... Every time you wanna do something, something else needs to be done first (because you wanna do it "right"). so a huge chain reaction ends up occurring for YEARS...
I'm becoming OK with the fact that a car will need to be done in stages... nothing will be done only once unfortunately.

Give me some time to answer your CFD question. I need to look for specific files and pull different simulations. I'll also respond to the other questions then...

Here's how she looks at the moment lol
IKR! It does! She is pretty. The sad thing as you learn what works, you learn what you already committed to is not ideal and needs major re-vamping. Like you said one thing affects another and ultimately if you want to do it right it ends up having to be re-built more than once. Or doing things in stages... This is frustrating for a guy like myself who's biggest pet peeve is to re-do/buy something that I "did right in the first place". Some of it is good though, like the parts and flexibility of equipment is so vast now compared to when I started this thing, It should be easier to do all the things I want to incorporate. Just more $$.

I used to race in SCCA for years with a POS as you do when you start driving, and got a good base of knowledge under me before I was able to even get my SC400. This was invaluable to see, study and ask questions to old timers that have done things and get to occasionally rub shoulders with some of the greats like the time I got to spend a couple days with the ORECA Viper team or Factory Lamborghini or Ford teams. I asked them a lot of questions with the base of knowledge and the experimental setup in my head that formed the crux of what I want to do today from those interactions. I get to try what works and skip what doesn't with knowledge like that. I learned so much from them. They were great too, never got mad or shooed me away. They were so pleasant to ask questions to just like the old timers in the SCCA that I got started with. Moving on to NASA and road racing and getting opportunities to drive Porsche's on track and my passion spilled over on my brother who got into racing the same path as me with SCCA after he rode in my car. He was hooked for life. Now he competes today in Time attack, and gymkhana events, like the Long beach global time attack last weekend where he got a podium with Jackie Ding. Gear heads in the family is cool to talk setups with. I don't tell him everything though. It's cool to have a small influence on someone now successful in Motorsports.

Then we get to Pearl. ( I named my SC that because she used to be pearl white) We have been though some $#!*. Let alone the car setup, my life has changed so much in the 17 years I have owned her that it's hard to see how this would have happened the way it did. But we are both still here battered and beaten, but here and ready. It's like now I have so much knowledge about this chassis and setup, that if I don't go forward and use it, it would be a huge waste. What good is knowledge not used? So this year I committed to a setup (that has already changed a few times) and started buying parts. I started networking again and getting to know fabricators and shop owners and all that jazz all over again as I am in a new place geo-wise and it is fun and sad at the same time starting over from scratch with experience this time. At least I know what I want and know what to ask for and look for. What a journey...

BTW when I said dive-planes(canards) I mean one dive plane starting from the splitter going up the side of the bumper not the kind sticking out in the middle of the bumper sides. In my experience those canards sticking out from the middle of the bumper do nothing but slow the car down. SC has good turn in when you figure the chassis out. Should not need too much DF in front, just enough to not have any significant lift at speed, and have a balanced setup front to rear with the lowest amount of drag possible. That will be one of the competitive advantages of this chassis when it's running against the big stuff. It has a very low Cd and frontal area with stability at speed. When I am done with the aero I want to go to the Wind tunnel and verify everything I did is working or not. Thanks man this is invaluable! I was getting Solidworks flow simulation (not just yet in the works) and a 3D scanner and 3D printer. That is how I was going to do my aero. Scan the car into Solidworks and flow simulate aero parts and use a 3D printer to test them and go to a wind tunnel with several different setups or even have a high down-force and low down-force setup to tune the car to the track. I have two bumpers that are the same so I can customize each to put on the car for the type of track and event I am on.

Last edited by GloriousSC; 10-11-21 at 04:28 AM.
perfctreig (10-11-21)
Old 10-21-21 | 04:33 PM
madmax98
Instructor

Sunroof delete panel done... need to finish the clear coat.

Just gonna park this right here

SC_coupe (10-27-21)
Old 10-22-21 | 03:57 AM
GloriousSC
Driver

I was thinking about doing that. Or maybe doing a whole carbon roof and deleting the sunroof altogether. Looks great!
Old 10-22-21 | 07:05 AM
madmax98
Instructor

Originally Posted by GloriousSC
I was thinking about doing that. Or maybe doing a whole carbon roof and deleting the sunroof altogether. Looks great!
Thanks brother... I haven't forgotten about you: will open the simulations this weekend to get you the info you asked for.

I plan to do the whole roof eventually. But, I want to reshape it to be more aerodynamic. I also plan on making it removable
Old 10-22-21 | 09:43 AM
GloriousSC
Driver

Originally Posted by madmax98
Thanks brother... I haven't forgotten about you: will open the simulations this weekend to get you the info you asked for.

I plan to do the whole roof eventually. But, I want to reshape it to be more aerodynamic. I also plan on making it removable
No rush. I found a guy on youtube last night that beat us to it.

thats almost as bad as this one:
1997Soarer (10-22-21)
Old 10-22-21 | 09:53 AM
madmax98
Instructor

If I come close to the second car (a well known car), I would be the quickest SC in the United States lol

Last edited by madmax98; 10-24-21 at 04:27 PM.
GloriousSC (10-22-21)
Old 10-24-21 | 04:27 PM
madmax98
Instructor

Originally Posted by GloriousSC
IKR! It does! She is pretty. The sad thing as you learn what works, you learn what you already committed to is not ideal and needs major re-vamping. Like you said one thing affects another and ultimately if you want to do it right it ends up having to be re-built more than once. Or doing things in stages... This is frustrating for a guy like myself who's biggest pet peeve is to re-do/buy something that I "did right in the first place". Some of it is good though, like the parts and flexibility of equipment is so vast now compared to when I started this thing, It should be easier to do all the things I want to incorporate. Just more $$.

I used to race in SCCA for years with a POS as you do when you start driving, and got a good base of knowledge under me before I was able to even get my SC400. This was invaluable to see, study and ask questions to old timers that have done things and get to occasionally rub shoulders with some of the greats like the time I got to spend a couple days with the ORECA Viper team or Factory Lamborghini or Ford teams. I asked them a lot of questions with the base of knowledge and the experimental setup in my head that formed the crux of what I want to do today from those interactions. I get to try what works and skip what doesn't with knowledge like that. I learned so much from them. They were great too, never got mad or shooed me away. They were so pleasant to ask questions to just like the old timers in the SCCA that I got started with. Moving on to NASA and road racing and getting opportunities to drive Porsche's on track and my passion spilled over on my brother who got into racing the same path as me with SCCA after he rode in my car. He was hooked for life. Now he competes today in Time attack, and gymkhana events, like the Long beach global time attack last weekend where he got a podium with Jackie Ding. Gear heads in the family is cool to talk setups with. I don't tell him everything though. It's cool to have a small influence on someone now successful in Motorsports.

Then we get to Pearl. ( I named my SC that because she used to be pearl white) We have been though some $#!*. Let alone the car setup, my life has changed so much in the 17 years I have owned her that it's hard to see how this would have happened the way it did. But we are both still here battered and beaten, but here and ready. It's like now I have so much knowledge about this chassis and setup, that if I don't go forward and use it, it would be a huge waste. What good is knowledge not used? So this year I committed to a setup (that has already changed a few times) and started buying parts. I started networking again and getting to know fabricators and shop owners and all that jazz all over again as I am in a new place geo-wise and it is fun and sad at the same time starting over from scratch with experience this time. At least I know what I want and know what to ask for and look for. What a journey...

BTW when I said dive-planes(canards) I mean one dive plane starting from the splitter going up the side of the bumper not the kind sticking out in the middle of the bumper sides. In my experience those canards sticking out from the middle of the bumper do nothing but slow the car down. SC has good turn in when you figure the chassis out. Should not need too much DF in front, just enough to not have any significant lift at speed, and have a balanced setup front to rear with the lowest amount of drag possible. That will be one of the competitive advantages of this chassis when it's running against the big stuff. It has a very low Cd and frontal area with stability at speed. When I am done with the aero I want to go to the Wind tunnel and verify everything I did is working or not. Thanks man this is invaluable! I was getting Solidworks flow simulation (not just yet in the works) and a 3D scanner and 3D printer. That is how I was going to do my aero. Scan the car into Solidworks and flow simulate aero parts and use a 3D printer to test them and go to a wind tunnel with several different setups or even have a high down-force and low down-force setup to tune the car to the track. I have two bumpers that are the same so I can customize each to put on the car for the type of track and event I am on.

@GloriousSC PM sent
GloriousSC (10-25-21)
Old 10-25-21 | 09:11 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Love the carbon sunroof delete panel!! Looks so good.
madmax98 (10-27-21)
Old 10-25-21 | 08:42 PM
bboyjohn04
Pit Crew

Digging the build! Glad to know I'm not alone going this route with the z30 chassis. Will follow for content and here's my 1998 sc400
The following 2 users liked this post by bboyjohn04:
madmax98 (10-27-21), RudysSC (10-27-21)
Old 10-27-21 | 01:37 PM
madmax98
Instructor

Getting ready to do my alignment... Wish me luck

RudysSC (10-27-21)
Old 10-27-21 | 05:56 PM
madmax98
Instructor

Originally Posted by bboyjohn04
Digging the build! Glad to know I'm not alone going this route with the z30 chassis. Will follow for content and here's my 1998 sc400
Looks like a sweet car. Looking fwd to seeing more SC's on Cali tracks
Old 10-27-21 | 06:16 PM
madmax98
Instructor

Alignment is finished. That was time consuming. I'm pretty satisfied with the outcome though. This was my first time attempting it and I can't believe I hadn't done it before. It really isn't complicated but shops make it seem like rocket science lol
I maxed out Castor and adjusted Camber to 1.9 degrees. That was the easy part lol The part that took most of the time is Toe... I put toe at 1/32 of Toe-in.

Old 10-27-21 | 06:17 PM
madmax98
Instructor

Originally Posted by RudysSC
Love the carbon sunroof delete panel!! Looks so good.
Thanks bud.

Quick Reply: Road to a Time Attack Soarer