Build Threads Details on Club Lexus LS400 owner vehicles

Genki's Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-21, 10:33 PM
GenkiLexus
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Genki's Lexus

I have had the car for about half a year and still haven't fully decided what direction to take it but I figure it's changed enough now and will continue to morph so it warrants a build thread.

This was day one:
Genki's Lexus-q9spz0zh.jpg

I was moving from a 6-speed 2004 Toyota Matrix XRS with the 2zz motor:
Genki's Lexus-dob4jjyh.jpg
Genki's Lexus-revoh70h.jpg

I got the XRS sold and the first thing I did was purchase and install some coilovers (I went Function & Form with standard springs [wish I had gone stiffer springs now but I still like the ride]):

Old 01-01-21, 10:47 PM
GenkiLexus
Rookie

After the coilovers I got my lights done (it needed it bad):
Attachment 486901

Later I adjusted the coilovers because I had too much rake in the rear while I searched for some wheels I really wanted:
Genki's Lexus-8vgbc1xh.jpg

I couldn't find any wheels I wanted and the tread on the stocks was almost gone so I snagged some 08 M35 wheels for cheap on FB market place that reminded me of fat Work Emotion CRs if you squint hard enough:
Genki's Lexus-5lzy0rdh.jpg
Old 01-01-21, 11:01 PM
GenkiLexus
Rookie

I got the rears on when I got the hub rings but the front's wouldn't clear the front calipers like I thought they would so I had to wait for extended wheel studs (ARP Lexus IS300) and spacers and I had to ride dirty for a week:
Attachment 486897

New Years Eve was when I got everything installed. I replaced brake pads and installed Brembo rotors front and rear.:
Genki's Lexus-h158qddh.jpg

Got the studs installed up front (don't worry, I cleaned those filthy hubs):
Genki's Lexus-hdqcsjgh.jpg

Put the wheels on and waited for the next day to get some better pictures:
Genki's Lexus-w5lauafh.jpg
Old 01-01-21, 11:03 PM
GenkiLexus
Rookie

This is how it sits today:
Name:  OtElVQph.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  172.1 KB
Genki's Lexus-nv5xgehh.jpg

I'm still not sure what I want the "end result" to be, not the we ever stop modding our cars, but I'm thinking interior is next after I take care of that pesky leaking power steering pump.

For anyone curious the wheel specs are 18x8 +47 with an 8mm spacer up front because the wheels that were supposed to clear big brakes wouldn't clear LS400 ones. I'm leaving it as is because I don't want to spend more money on wheels that aren't forever wheels.

Last edited by GenkiLexus; 01-01-21 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-05-21, 04:26 AM
nvturbo
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

if you are in the market for some actual JDM wheels that won't break the bank, look at www.croooober.com. That's where I bought my set of Amistad 19"s. Even though they are used, they were in excellent condition and the overall price was way cheaper than those ragged out ones found in the states.

BTW, you do not need any kind of broker to buy JDM parts. That's just a lame rumor because in reality, the broker will make money off of you and the process takes longer than it should. I paid for my wheels on a Friday. Received them (via DHL) on Tuesday.

Last edited by nvturbo; 01-05-21 at 04:29 AM.
Old 01-05-21, 07:43 PM
GenkiLexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by nvturbo
if you are in the market for some actual JDM wheels that won't break the bank, look at www.croooober.com. That's where I bought my set of Amistad 19"s. Even though they are used, they were in excellent condition and the overall price was way cheaper than those ragged out ones found in the states.

BTW, you do not need any kind of broker to buy JDM parts. That's just a lame rumor because in reality, the broker will make money off of you and the process takes longer than it should. I paid for my wheels on a Friday. Received them (via DHL) on Tuesday.
Yeah, I looked there for a few months before Covid delayed or canceled tons of shipments out of country. All of the wheels I wanted were bought but I take a peek once a week or so.
Old 03-13-21, 09:37 PM
GenkiLexus
Rookie

Made a few more changes over the last few weeks.

Got my rear rotors and pads changed:
Attachment 486822
Attachment 486823

I also got some wheels that fit better:
Attachment 486824
Attachment 486825
Attachment 486826

Aodhan AH-X 18x8.5 +35. They take a 3mm spacer to clear the brakes. I'm thinking of going with a blue accent theme in the interior and with any stickers I get on the car to go with the Muteki extended lug nuts.
Old 03-22-21, 04:12 PM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

very nice!

btw, i like those XRS matrix and always wondered if they made them in manual. looks like they did! the jump to a lexus is a very big one i'm sure. even on coilovers the lexus is one comfortable ride!
Old 03-22-21, 05:52 PM
fodalo
Instructor

Received 333 Likes on 249 Posts

looks great love the vintage Lexus look, sweet ride good job!
Old 03-22-21, 07:36 PM
GenkiLexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
very nice!

btw, i like those XRS matrix and always wondered if they made them in manual. looks like they did! the jump to a lexus is a very big one i'm sure. even on coilovers the lexus is one comfortable ride!
The XRS is easily my second favorite car I've ever owned (the first being my LS). That C60 transmission is made of glass so I never pushed it too hard but revving over 8000 and hearing that 2ZZ scream was so much fun. It definitely didn't ride as well as the Lexus does on coilovers. The seat technology on these things is nuts.
Originally Posted by fodalo
looks great love the vintage Lexus look, sweet ride good job!
Thanks! There's still more I want to do so expect a couple more updates over the next few months. I'm trying to source a body kit from Japan but with the pandemic slowing things up it's been hard going.
Old 03-30-21, 09:06 PM
GenkiLexus
Rookie

I got a set of WellVisors for the LS and installed them and some old style Toyota logos in blue on the rear windows. I'm thinking of doing custom LTide interior bits but that won't happen for a while, I think.
Genki's Lexus-ckjm1hr.jpg
Genki's Lexus-7hsm8bi.jpg
Old 04-19-21, 01:28 PM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

well visors look good. i love how 18s look on your car with the nice thicker sidewall on the tires!
Old 04-19-21, 07:44 PM
GenkiLexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
well visors look good. i love how 18s look on your car with the nice thicker sidewall on the tires!
Thank you! I enjoy the ride quality on a tire with more rubber. I honestly thought about dropping down to 17s to bring back some of that cushion the 16s had lol.
Old 04-21-21, 08:53 PM
GenkiLexus
Rookie

Deleted two of the four mufflers!
Genki's Lexus-6hfesoz.jpg
Gonna find one of those dudes who constantly spams Craigslist and buys mufflers.
Genki's Lexus-szc2hw1.jpg
And sound!
Old 04-23-21, 04:19 PM
GenkiLexus
Rookie

Just picked up a set of my 2nd favorite wheels of all time: OZ Opera in 18x8 +35 and 18x9 +35. I've looked for years for a reasonably priced set of these in that spec and the guy gave me a bargain at $350! The rims are chewed up but I plan on getting them fixed and repainted at some point.
Genki's Lexus-6ffifbz.jpg

They came with 225/40 tires on them and while they looked pretty slick, I prefer more meat on my wheels. I got some 245/45s tires slapped on there. I'll sell the two new tires the seller had just put on.
Genki's Lexus-5l2kdda.jpg
Genki's Lexus-zzu8k3l.jpg

Quick Reply: Genki's Lexus