Barbary's SC, the Purple Bullet

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-23, 11:03 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 506 Likes on 300 Posts

This pic was taken this year

this pic was taken 2014, although I probably installed them earlier

They are actually Supra racing seats that bolt right into my SC. All manual adjustment, nothing heated, nothing electrical, very lightweight and obviously durable
dumping those heavy stock seats, noticed it being more agile right away,
A little low getting in, but once your in you are IN, ..like surrounded. Found them to be super comfortable on these long 1000 mile trips.
and like the way they go with the cars interior, stand out just enough
Old 10-01-23, 03:49 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Barbary
This pic was taken this year

this pic was taken 2014, although I probably installed them earlier

They are actually Supra racing seats that bolt right into my SC. All manual adjustment, nothing heated, nothing electrical, very lightweight and obviously durable
dumping those heavy stock seats, noticed it being more agile right away,
A little low getting in, but once your in you are IN, ..like surrounded. Found them to be super comfortable on these long 1000 mile trips.
and like the way they go with the cars interior, stand out just enough
I like the way they surround you, made like BMW Vader seats. Look really nice and have held up well.
The following users liked this post:
Barbary (10-01-23)
Old 10-01-23, 04:47 PM
Barbary
Instructor

^^
Agree thanks. And like they are lightweight and comfortable on the long trips.
Old 10-04-23, 06:05 AM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

Received 140 Likes on 109 Posts

Those seats look pretty nice. I wondered about swapping my seats out with the Corbeau seats. Only experience I have is with Sparco Exo XL seat that was installed in my old MR2. I had to get out on all 4s on that one, can't complain though it kept me in where I needed to be.
Old 10-05-23, 04:08 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Hello Tallyhoe thanks
I didn't do much research about it, didn't even have a brand in mind.
Just went shopping at a local speed shop, looked for seats that worked in my car, but had to be lightweight with full functionality and be a brand name.

The seat backs go all the way back which is mighty nice when you have to pull over for that quick pros nap (20 min).
Just couldn't see those heavy, all everything luxury seats weighing down my Sports Coup. One thing I've never regretted.
Thats the story
Bimmerbill (10-05-23)
Old 10-21-23, 02:07 AM
Barbary
Instructor

Got my car back up and running, as always up here, a struggle. I love it here, the one draw back is finding maintenance for it. Those huge Ford, Chevy, Ram, Toyota trucks are the vogue here, I mean the Big ones. The problem was finally the water pump failed and I had a pretty serious leak. I couldn't drive it to a bigger distant city and was stuck in my little town, for an extended time. Got a new thermostat, water pump and timing belt.And some more peace of mind
The car now has its 3rd timing belt and 3rd windshield.

Hope I can eeck out a trip to Zion National Park, before the weather turns. There's a little Utah town, basically in the middle of no where, Kanab, thats a good jumping off point to some of the best national parks in the country, Zion, Bryce, Arches, CanyonLands etc etc. I stayed in Kanab when I just went to the lesser known, lesser crowded, other side of Grand Canyon. the North Rim. Just as Grand but more difficult to get to.

I have some photos to share of the trip I took around these places with the "Bullet".
I post these pictures and stories trying to encourage members to drive theirs. The SC is a great car!

This is the first view I had of North Rim. I was getting breakfast at the lodge and starting the day driving and taking pictures. Got to the table and my eyes popped and jaw dropped when I saw this

Ran into some problems of the post not excepting photos.___here's one I took in 2018 of the South Rim

This is Lake Powel in Page Ut on the way to Kanab. I consider it one of the most beautiful lakes in America, right up there with Lake Tahoe

Going to work on how this post will accept more North Rims

Last edited by Barbary; 10-21-23 at 02:23 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Barbary:
Bimmerbill (10-21-23), Duck05 (10-23-23), ThomasGS4 (10-23-23)
Old 10-23-23, 12:56 AM
Barbary
Instructor

This is the first time I went to the "mysterious" other side of the Grand Canyon. It was a real treat. To tell you what an event it was. I took my first pics of GC in 1989 when I was living and working out of Flagstaff Az. and have been going there ever since. However only recently realized how magnificent it really was. The weather lent itself to interesting photography. Dark clouds make it more dramatic sometimes and are a nice change of pace. I got soaked a few times that day. The rains came suddenly and stopped suddenly. In fact leaving the park I ran into a nice little hale storm. That was a surprise.

I mentioned I had trouble posting photos here, found out there was a 10mb size limit (new to me) and many of mine were over it. This first pic is an attempt at downsizing
but I did want to post it, I call it "Serenity at 9000ft" and it was

I found this fascinating

I even enlarged this later and unbelievably it's a kind of fern or bush growing on top. In my travels I find this stuff everywhere. The unbelievable. Yosemite has trees growing out of solid granite and on and on

The trip was fascinating and full of surprises. Now I will always have these reminders, but the best part is I was there. The other best part was driving the Bullet spending long times with it
The following 3 users liked this post by Barbary:
Bimmerbill (10-23-23), Duck05 (10-23-23), ThomasGS4 (10-23-23)
Old 10-25-23, 11:42 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

Absolutely stunning photos Joe - thanks for sharing!
Barbary (10-26-23)
Old 10-26-23, 10:13 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Thank you Rudy for the very nice compliment
Old 10-26-23, 11:44 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Route 66, Seligman Az

Last edited by Barbary; 10-27-23 at 12:10 PM.
Bimmerbill (10-27-23)
Old 11-12-23, 10:25 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Finally got a little good luck w the car, had one last thing needed to get the car back up and running. Got all new wires for the engine and had the new water pump and timing belt rechecked. Everything was as it should be, so had a nice little engine overhaul done without intending it. lol.
Anywho, the engine is running as good, or better than ever. (finally got it Broken in) ha ha. Amazing how a flatland car can run 7,8000 ft mountains on its original ECU like that.

Got the car put back together and looked like still had weather to make a trip before the rain and snow season, (which might start as early as next week).
So I did, for the first time, go to Zion National Park. I've heard it called the "King of the Parks", at least in Utah. Thats saying something!
Here are a couple of pics

Love this car, has taken me to so many fabulous places for so many years

One almost has to go thru Page Arizona and Glen Canyon to get to the parks. Page even calls itself Gateway to the parks, and then I can't resist stopping here at the beautiful Lake Powel. Which is actually the Colorado River Sometimes that splash of purple they put into the cars paint job really comes out depending on the lighting

Here's the car in the park

It's an exciting and colorful park for sure. Saw stuff I had never seen before. The bummer, because of the crowds you have to take their shuttle bus you can't drive your car.

Here's another one I couldn't resist, yeh you can see graffiti all over in the barrios and the hood, but guys, this is out in the middle of no-where , really no where

This pic is at, what I call "Motel Sad" ha ha, the end of the trip w the car having close to 700 hard national park miles on it. It was dirty dusty rained on. This was at the end of the day sunset, you should see all the other pics I took of it

This, you have to see, a one of a kind vision. California Condors taking flight w their unbelievable 9 and a
half foot wingspan. Biggest birds alive and rarest. If there ever was a bird meant to fly. There was at least a 1/2 dozen riding the thermals up and then took off for feeding WOW!

Love these trips, never know what you'll see

The following 2 users liked this post by Barbary:
Bimmerbill (11-13-23), DaveGS4 (11-16-23)
Old 11-15-23, 08:23 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

AWESOME pics as always Joe!! I hope that one day I can spend the time cruising, documenting, and enjoying the beautiful sights this country has to offer.
Barbary (11-15-23)
Old 11-16-23, 08:10 AM
Barbary
Instructor

Thank you Rudy, just imagine how many fabulous trips you'll be taking with your little ones when they get a little older. What great times and memories you have ahead.
Joe
Old 11-18-23, 04:18 PM
Barbary
Instructor

SC400 factory original Hardtop

Bimmerbill (11-18-23)
Old 11-19-23, 05:22 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Received 327 Likes on 253 Posts

Good morning Joe,
I love the picture of you roof. Actually I was flabbergasted because everything I had read (and I have read a lot) this car does not exist. Everything I have read states that the cars built without a sunroof were all SC300's, cloth interior, etc. Your car had original leather, what is going on? Do you know the history behind it. I have always wanted to have my sunroof filled in or to find a another roof to have installed without the sunroof. I did find a roof in south Florida a few years back and procrastinated and it was gone when I called back. Let me hear from you.
Bill

Quick Reply: Barbary's SC, the Purple Bullet