Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Barbary's SC, the Purple Bullet

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-23, 06:43 PM
perfctreig
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Beautiful Condor picture! I love those birds and appreciate every time I see one.

Out of curiosity, how fast did you go while out near Zion? I actually have friends from Germany, who will purposely fly into Utah and drive to California just to be able to go straight and fast.
The following users liked this post:
Barbary (03-12-24)
Old 11-19-23, 09:21 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 508 Likes on 301 Posts

Hi Bill
Yes, the car is real ha ha, I've been driving it everyday for 20 years or so, its been so long. I don't know much about the top. I've always had a hard top car (except for my T top 69 Mako Shark Vette), so it being hard top was no big deal. I got the car from a family member and they never mentioned. In fact I've seen the car when it wasn't the "Bullet", only a Jade Pearl green SC!
When I have been with another SC, even Lexus events, I guess no one noticed.

Most of my time I didn't know how rare it was 🤷‍♂️. When I finally did I ran a vin search and came up with a usual read out, which is in this build, and it isn't mentioned w the other considered options, like the spoiler, cd changer, etc. It's not listed as an option. The car is an everyday SC you see on the road, the only difference is the hard top, that much I know.
Bimmerbill (11-20-23)
Old 11-19-23, 10:18 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Hello Kai,
yeh seeing those birds,(once considered extinct) actually flying was epic.

Actually, to go straight and fast you can do in almost any of the Western states, probably the best to go is Nevada. Anywhere in between the Sierra's and Rockies is good, like the Great Basin Desert. I've basically been all around Utah but not much in it. In fact this was my first time to Zion, found it to be spectacular!

If you want scenery it has to be Utah. If you want to drive unmolested long and fast, like my signature says "Long Distances at Hi-speeds", Wyoming's good, New Mexico is, you gotta be true hard core to drive Nevada. I moved there mid 80's until Y2K so Im pretty familiar w the place. Of course S Dakota, N Dakota, Montana. Have driven twice to S Dakota from the west coast

The other, the car is 30 yrs old so I don't drive it much more than 90's anymore, I'm older just like the car. But we are still out there driving
___ Long, straight and fast___ha ha
The following 2 users liked this post by Barbary:
perfctreig (11-20-23), RudysSC (11-20-23)
Old 11-20-23, 10:36 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Received 327 Likes on 253 Posts

Thanks Joe,
I will have to do more research and if I find something will let you know.
Bill
Old 11-20-23, 06:47 PM
Barbary
Instructor

I would like to know
Old 11-20-23, 10:14 PM
perfctreig
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Barbary
Actually, to go straight and fast you can do in almost any of the Western states, probably the best to go is Nevada. Anywhere in between the Sierra's and Rockies is good, like the Great Basin Desert. I've basically been all around Utah but not much in it. In fact this was my first time to Zion, found it to be spectacular!
Great story! I need to get my '99 out more often. I love driving it but am stuck in slow and go traffic with five million of my closest friends too often. You've inspired me - I'll drive it to work tomorrow.
Old 11-26-23, 10:12 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Hello Bil
this is my vin print out

Now I know a little more about my SC but disappointed. Wanted to find out why the car is a hard top
all it says, its a 2 door coupe. Wonder if there is a way of seeing the window (monroney) sticker
here's what it said... not much really [img]images/smilies/sad.gif[/img]

MODEL SC400 /. TIRE SIZE N/A /. EXTERIOR ROYAL JADE PEARL /. INTERIOR LA60
BODY TYPE / 2DR. COUPE DRIVE TYPE / 2WD ENGINE / 8-CYL TRANSMISSION N/A DATE OF FIRST USE / SEPTEMBER 29, 1992

ORDER DATE. BODY STYLE PLANT OF MANUFACTURE
08/1992 2-DOOR COUPE N/A

PORT- OR FACTORY-INSTALLED EQUIPMENT:
F
** CARPETED FLOOR MATS
Port
DC
** 12-CD AUTO-CHANGER
Factory
FE
** 50-STATE EMISSIONS
Factory
ML
** CARPETED TRUNK MAT
Port
RF
** COLOR KEYED REAR SPOILER
Factory
WL
** WHEEL LOCKS
Port

STANDARD INSTALLED EQUIPMENT:

4.0 Liter 250HP Four Cam, 32-Valve V8 Engine with Electronic Fuel Injection
4-Speed Electronically Controlled Automatic Transmission with Intelligence (ECT-I)
Rear Wheel Drive 4-Wheel Independent, Double-Wishbone Suspension
Front and Rear Stabilizer Bars
Vehicle Speed Sensing Progressive Power Rack-and-Pinion Steering
4-Wheel Ventilated Power-Assisted Disc Brakes
225/55R16 V-Rated Radial Tires 16" Alloy Wheels
Driver's-Side Airbag Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) 3-Point Safety Belts,
Front and Rear 4-Wheel Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS)
Dual Power Outside Mirrors with Defoggers
Rear Window Defogger with Auto-Off Timer
Variable Intermittent Wipers with Mist Cycle
Liquid Crystal Day/Night Inside Rearview Mirror
Projector Headlamps and Halogen High Beams
Vehicle Theft-Deterrent System
First Aid Kit
Soft Facia Color-Coordinated Bumpers
Front Air Dam Extension
Full Tinted Glass
Bird's Eye Maple Interior Trim
Electronic Analog Instrumentation
Digital Clock
Power Windows with Driver's Window "Auto Down" Feature and 60-Second Ignition-Off Power Operation Power Door Locks with Driver's Door Two-Turn Unlock Feature
Remote Entry System Power Walk-In Device for Front Passenger Seat
Fade-Out Illuminated Entry with Automatic Shut-Off Power
Tilt and Telescopic Steering Column with Automatic Tilt-Away
Multi-Adjustable Power Front Seats with Driver's-Side Lumbar Adjustment Adjustable Front Headrests Leather Seats, Headrests, Door Armrests, Center Console Cover, Shift Lever, and Parking Brake Grip Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel Lexus Memory System for Power Driver's Seat,

Outside Rearview Mirrors
Power Tilt and Telescopic Steering Wheel
Cruise Control
Automatic Climate Control
AM/FM/Cassette 7-Speaker 170-Watt Max. Power Audio System with 8" Bi-Amplified Subwoofer Automatic 3-Position AM/FM Power Mast Antenna with Integrated Rear Window FM Diversity Antenna
Dual Illuminated Visor Vanity Mirrors Center Visor Front Map Lights
Illuminated Locking Glove Compartment
Front Door Mounted Storage Pockets Seat Back Storage Pockets Center Console Cup Holder
Pre-Wire for Lexus Cellular Phone
Electric Trunk-Lid and Fuel-Filler Door

Old 11-26-23, 10:41 PM
Barbary
Instructor

This is a recent photo of the cars headliner which is rather disappointing to me because in real time you can't see those smudges, whatever they are. You only see hi quality material with with no rips or tears or damage after 30 years as a daily driver. Note the lighting controls up by the visor
Bimmerbill (11-27-23)
Old 11-27-23, 05:48 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Good morning Joe,
After reading this list I am more mystified because what I have read about the SC300 with the slick back roof( which your roof is known by) that these cars were an economy version of the regular SC300 (somebody correct me if I am wrong) and came with a manual transmission. Evidently someone ordered your car special and probably had to wait an extra month or two. I wonder if there are any more SC400 cars with a slick back roof. Anyway Joe you own a very rare car which I am very envious of. Thanks for sharing the list which I learned a few thing from.
Bill
The following 3 users liked this post by Bimmerbill:
Barbary (11-27-23), KahnBB6 (03-15-24), RudysSC (11-28-23)
Old 12-07-23, 01:30 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Hello Bill,
found 2 more minor anomalies
the print out states, the dealer added the rear spoiler to my 400
and there are no seat heat controls on my console but the seats were the standard fully functional leather ones 🤷‍♂️
Bimmerbill (12-07-23)
Old 12-07-23, 02:58 PM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Hey Joe,
Thanks for the update. Not having the rear spoiler goes along with that slick back roof that you have, and to add the fact that no heated seats. Your car was definitely a special order. Going back over my sales brochures all 400 cars had the rear spoiler. Boy have you got a rare car. I know it gets cold out your way, so I would do some thinking about adding heat to you seats. Rudy is getting ready to wire up his sport seats for heat. I have seen heating elements advertised that you could add.
Just something to think about.
Take care,
Bill
Old 12-07-23, 04:21 PM
Barbary
Instructor

I search for photos a lot, not easy, have over 5000 posted on flikr and came across this one I considered kinda interesting and an example of what I've been doing w the Bullet for around the past 20 yrs

2015, somewhere in Utah

And still out there. Stopped again at this sign. Different day. To get to the great National Parks it's almost necessary to go thru Kaibab. Kaibab has the largest Ponderosa pine grove in the world. "Huge" You have to be a special place to be named a "National Park"

"Truckin"___The Grateful Dead
Bimmerbill (12-07-23)
Old 01-17-24, 10:13 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Took a trip to the Grand Canyon with my SC this September, only it was the other side of the Canyon not many get to see. The North Rim, I even thought of Pink Floyds; "The Dark Side of the Moon". It was a pretty difficult place to get to. Most tourists visit the South Rim which I have been to many times and had the North Rim in my bucket list for quite a while. Well worth it, just for its a lot less crowded .

I have 2 hobbies, 1 driving the Bullet, the other is taking pictures, and when I'm lucky I get to do both at the same time. Yes!
Don't do builds, the car is pretty original, but I can share what I do with the car. Put together the North Rim pictures into this flickr album. Just click on this link:
https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjB9p81

There were other unbelievable, and strange parts to the trip I should post like photographing very rare Condor birds flying. Sometimes you just get Lucky!
Thanks for viewing___Joe

Bimmerbill (01-18-24)
Old 01-18-24, 08:37 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Hey Joe,
Thanks for the pictures. I feel like I have been to the North Rim.
Bill
Barbary (01-18-24)
Old 01-18-24, 09:29 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Thanks Bill thats what its all about

Quick Reply: Barbary's SC, the Purple Bullet