Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Barbary's SC, the Purple Bullet

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-21, 10:11 AM
madmax98
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

You need "Helper Springs" .
As you stiffen the suspension (Higher spring rate), your suspension assembly will travel less to accommodate the car weight. In "Droop", the wheel can get to a point where there's no preload from the main spring. To mitigate this, another spring with much softer rate is added just to prevent the main spring from rattling around in droop.

You can see it here on the KW's. I used something similar on my "Gixxer" setup. If you're not familiar with that, there's a great thread on SupraForums (Just search the name).

The following users liked this post:
Barbary (08-10-21)
Old 08-10-21, 09:02 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 508 Likes on 301 Posts

Kahn, madmax98
All real good advice, just surprised have to do all this for the coilovers.
Leveling, bouncing, would have been nice to put them in and have the ride and stance I wanted
Old 08-11-21, 07:48 AM
madmax98
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Wouldn't it be nice if companies did everything right the first time?!
Unfortunately, at least from what I've seen, only high end coilovers will include helper springs in their design.

By the way, the bouncing part might be due to your coilover being under-damped. Basically, the spring is too stiff for the strut, or the strut is too compliant for the spring (same thing). Try raising the "stiffness" of your damper if it has that capability (usually a hex screw on the top or bottom). This is the kind of stuff your shop should have told you when you raised your questions (if they know what they're doing)
Old 08-11-21, 09:14 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Thanks, I live in the southwest mountains. There isn't much lowering of cars here, mostly truck lifts and I don't think the shop has ever even seen an SC before
Thats just the situation. I can probably find some place in the Phoenix or Albuquerque area that know coilovers
Old 08-21-21, 11:10 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Talking More tale of Woe and finally happiness

The Stuff I Have to go Thru to Get Things Done!
I hope I have just placed the final piece into the puzzle. Drove down south to fix the cars bouncing, went to a place says it does everything under the car, the guy just didn't feel like doing anything.
Then a shop called Sergio's, looked like a place that has done a few coilovers and probably a few low-riders. told them my car was a Lexus, they said they only do American.
Went to a 3rd. He actually put the car on a lift, (he wasn't too thrilled w the whole thing). He said he couldn't do anything, the springs were almost as tight as they go.

I thought a minute. The car is bouncing probably as much as it could (a lot). the springs are as tight as can be. OK lets see what happens if we wrench the springs opposite direction. Talked the guy into it and the car now rides just right. I got the ride I was looking for the whole time He charged me a $20. Before this I went to at least 5 shops in my area, including the shop that installed the coilovers
Nobody knows Nothing! 🤡

Basically, have a whole new suspension without having planned for it. New Yoshihara reverse wheels, New power steering pump. Before that my ignition rotor cap exploded. So new rotor and wires. The tien adjustable coilovers, new upper and lower control arms. I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff. Had to get the car leveled, the bounce adjusted out of it (that wasn't easy). Not to mention, no shop was ever able to balance the wheels!
Finally got the ride I need to run these mountain curves without leaning all over the place. Yahoo! Takes corners and curves_____level
Lowering was never an intention, but now I like the look a lot. I think w that coil adj the rear is even a touch lower, little more solid feel, nice

Last edited by Barbary; 08-22-21 at 10:22 AM.
KahnBB6 (08-22-21)
Old 08-23-21, 07:30 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,207 Likes on 836 Posts

Glad to hear that it sounds like they got you dialed in, Barbary! It always sucks to have to give these cars a go through as it's never cheap... But they always seem to be worth it don't they?
The following 2 users liked this post by RudysSC:
Barbary (08-23-21), KahnBB6 (08-24-21)
Old 08-24-21, 10:11 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Originally Posted by RudysSC
Glad to hear that it sounds like they got you dialed in, Barbary! It always sucks to have to give these cars a go through as it's never cheap... But they always seem to be worth it don't they?
Thanks Rudy, you are absolutely right
I was driving around here yesterday

This is at about 8,000 ft and I was thinking just that! Man, this was all worth it
I don't know how many drive mountains, but this sucker Pulls! Effortless
Note all the Road Warrior front end dings and pings
All the Best
Old 08-24-21, 10:50 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Default Tom Tom

I installed the new high end Tom Tom navigation display. I've owned a Tom Tom for about 10 yrs since they first came out and they were still rather primitive. I don't get many useful results from Siri or my phone. The new Tom Tom seems super duper compared. It works off of multiple satellites and has never dropped off on me, and I have been out there, way out there. When you live in San Fran and are driving from Denver to Salt Lake City, It's good to have a Tom Tom . They do navigation and thats all they do____road maps

This probably sounds like a commercial, its not. Just when you do my kind of driving.....Its priceless ha ha
This is a photo from yesterday, visiting indigenous pueblo ruins
Photography is another hobby , I'm in this clubs photography forum

Old 08-25-21, 06:37 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Love it Barbary!! Always thrilled to see you out there enjoying that thing!
Barbary (08-27-21)
Old 08-30-21, 12:43 AM
Barbary
Instructor

Default Having Fun w the Purple Bullet

Barbary

(Just to make sure,____ these are photoshopped!)

Last edited by Barbary; 08-30-21 at 01:30 PM. Reason: photoshopped
The following 4 users liked this post by Barbary:
KahnBB6 (09-17-21), KiroLS (09-17-21), perfctreig (12-01-21), RudysSC (08-30-21)
Old 09-16-21, 01:53 AM
Barbary
Instructor

Hello Gang!
Well I'm back w my help wanted sign
Drove about 1,700 miles this last week and probably most of them w broken motor mounts, My shop in San Francisco diagnosed it as well as one in Reno
And I suspect I've had motor mount issues for quite a while, why I haven't had the ride I want. Everyplace I've gone to say they can't get mounts for my car from their suppliers
Now, what I know about motor mounts you could put in a thimble and have room left over for a Snickers candy bar

I've checked online and there are available. I would like the current advice from all you knowledgable (you guys are more than Super Knowledgable, I mean really) in this Club
I'm always in awe! Thanks everyone

Took this pic on Monday

Old 09-17-21, 02:32 AM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,251 Likes on 871 Posts

Barbary, I am sorry to hear you've got broken engine mounts but after all these years and miles driven eventually you would need some new ones

They are still available. You just might have to wait a few days to get them. I suggest ordering new OEM ones from MyLParts (use the CL5 discount) since they are a good amount cheaper than the List price. Fedex shipping with Amayama from Osaka Japan might still be a bit on the steep side (but try them also if you are willing to wait even longer).

1992-2000 SC400 LEFT & RIGHT front engine mount P/N 12360-50110 (#1 in the picture below).

Last edited by KahnBB6; 09-18-21 at 12:31 AM. Reason: typo correction
Barbary (09-17-21)
Old 09-17-21, 10:16 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

^ This!

I've got some excessive engineering mounts in my SC. They do cause more vibration, however, I love the more direct feel especially with a manual. Personally, in your position, I'd probably go with the softer OEM style mounts with an auto SC4 to keep the cozy level high.
The following 2 users liked this post by RudysSC:
Barbary (09-17-21), KahnBB6 (09-18-21)
Old 09-18-21, 10:59 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Default Thank you Kahn!

Wow! Kahn, that was perfect I have the mounts ordered from MyLParts w the discounts and my shop set to install
and I don't mind doing it. The car has been great to me. I've been driving a Super Car for almost 20 yrs, basically for free. I think you know what I mean. I haven't spent any real money on it, partly because its a California car and they don't let you hardly touch it. If its good for the car its fine w me
Thank you again 👏🏻
Barbary
Old 09-18-21, 11:00 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Thank you Rudy
RudysSC (09-20-21)

Quick Reply: Barbary's SC, the Purple Bullet