Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Barbary's SC, the Purple Bullet

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-21, 05:06 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 508 Likes on 301 Posts
Default Wheels

I thought I'd post this because it was the best pic I have of the wheels, even though its not a closeup
taken at the Mono Lake vista view. On the eastern Sierra Nevada's, basically the eastern point of Yosemite

The following 2 users liked this post by Barbary:
KahnBB6 (09-23-21), RudysSC (09-27-21)
Old 09-22-21, 11:13 PM
Barbary
Instructor

The car probably hit the 300,000 mile marker on this trip or maybe even a lot earlier, only the speedo odometer is saying 299-something 000
The deal is my speedo is showing 55mph while the GPS is showing 75+ mph and I can tell you its the 75 and not the 55
My previous TomTom and speedo have been pretty close. I've been using only my gps lately because it shows my speed and the posted speed limit
I don't know when the separation happened

But I have had a lot of suspension work and even new wheels done lately
Too bad I was going to celebrate that marker w the car (300,000 miles and 30yrs old car). Not that I know the exact date of build or purchase date. I suspect its a pretty early "92"
🤷‍♂️
The following 3 users liked this post by Barbary:
Bimmerbill (09-23-21), KahnBB6 (09-23-21), RudysSC (09-23-21)
Old 09-23-21, 05:04 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Received 327 Likes on 253 Posts

Thought I doing good with my 213k but you are over the top.
Old 09-23-21, 07:37 PM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,251 Likes on 871 Posts

262k+ miles on mine so far but you have me beaten handily, Barbary!

You should note the original overall diameter of your factory tires and compared to the overall diameter of your new tires. Since I know you have done no driveline modifications to the car you should calculate the percentage of under read you are getting on the speedometer from the increase in tire OD.

This percentage throwing off the speedo can be corrected with a Yellr YellowBox V5 (about $100 or so). They actually make a plug-and-play harness for the Supra MKIV and our SC's for it (you have to request it specially along with your order if there is no option on the online order page). VERY easy to use. I covered the installation in my SC using the V4 version and the same exact harness in my old 4.27 final drive ratio (pre-2JZGTE swap) project thread pages here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ml#post7250024

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ml#post7251663

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ml#post7252535

http://www.solemnwarning.net/speedo/?

A year ago I bought the newer V5 version of the YellowBox and I just plugged it right in. Just like the old one the unit comes with an instruction manual and calibration as measured against a GPS speed display or phone app is easy.

If that percentage of under-read on the speedo that you are getting is WAY more than it should be even with a change in tire sizes then there might be the possibility of the speedo motor being a little tired which would require a repair to it. However a malfunctioning speedo gauge motor would not affect the odometer reading so I suspect you just need to correct for the change in tire size/diameter from stock.
The following 2 users liked this post by KahnBB6:
Bimmerbill (09-24-21), perfctreig (09-24-21)
Old 09-24-21, 05:48 PM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Received 327 Likes on 253 Posts

Hey Craig, just a side note on your mileage. I see that you have 262k on your car and I am thinking part of that is your trips back to California. Just for curiosity what is the mileage on a round trip from south Florida to California and back which would be a heck of a drive but not so bad if you are taking your time.
Please keep up the good work, I have learned so much from your comments.
Old 09-24-21, 10:10 PM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
Hey Craig, just a side note on your mileage. I see that you have 262k on your car and I am thinking part of that is your trips back to California. Just for curiosity what is the mileage on a round trip from south Florida to California and back which would be a heck of a drive but not so bad if you are taking your time.
Please keep up the good work, I have learned so much from your comments.
Thanks Bill! I just hope Barbary can get that speedo inaccuracy sorted out with it being off by 25mph. Stock these cars can be closer to 1-2mph or 5mph off depending on the speed the needle is reading at (calibration to show your speed as just a *little* faster than your true speed is acceptable IMO) but if he's reading 25mph too low that's got to be addressed. I suspect it is just due to his tire size and wheel diameter change though.

As for Florida-to-California and California-to-Florida trips the overall mileage can be anything from roughly 2,700 miles to 2,900 miles each way. It really depends on the route you take, how many stops you make and how many minor detours you allow along the way. Make no mistake-- it's a long drive and if you are not allowing for enough time and days to pace yourself (travel budget is a big part of it) you can get worn out.

Some legs/days have shorter drives than others because there are ideal cities/towns to stop overnight in. Some days I figured in a mere 300 miles before stopping for the night while others I would try for 700miles before stopping. It's very difficult to do several days in a row traveling 700 miles at a time. At least for me it is. Long haul truckers with better stamina than I have may disagree with me.

The longest trip I took was 2-3 weeks going west visiting friends along the way in different cities. The next longest drive was 8 days and the very shortest I took was 6 days using I-40 as the longest part of the travel path. I have calculated a lot of route estimates for myself and friends-- a couple of them did it taking I-10 most of the way in only three days. I can't personally do it in only three days. You have to be rested and fully alert and eventually you will need to eat and sleep, periodically refuel (especially with an SC300/400) and stretch your legs every so often and walk around a bit.

I've done the cross country drive three times now in my SC alone. That should be about 9,000 miles give or take apart from the 73,000 miles I have put on it in the 11+ years I have owned it. That doesn't include the mileage driven on some special trips up and down California and to some of its national parks!

From all of his many pictures though I think Barbary has taken many more scenic long routes in his SC than I have in all those years!
The following users liked this post:
Bimmerbill (09-24-21)
Old 09-24-21, 10:14 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Default speedo - odo

Thank you Kahn, as always very useful
I've gotten quite used to using my TOMTOM as my speedo as it has the posted speeds and actual, as well as a myriad of other data, so the speedo part is not my concern. I am really glad to find out that the malfunctioning speedo doesn't affect the odometer and the reading is probably true or at least close. Went and checked the odometer reads
(299,005)
Yeah!, I can still celebrate it, for some reason the number means something to me

I may have more miles but the car is 1 yr older than both you Kahn, and BimmerBill
There was a time I was putting 100miles a day on it driving to work, for many years.
The following 2 users liked this post by Barbary:
KahnBB6 (09-24-21), RudysSC (09-27-21)
Old 09-24-21, 10:25 PM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Barbary, I'm glad to help! And when I do my long drives I always hook up a standalone Garmin GPS unit where I program my overall route, all my stop points and temporary detours. As you probably appreciate with your TomTom these things are enormously useful as a dedicated computer that JUST manages your trip and accurate location especially when you go out of cellular reception range!

299,005 miles is definitely something to celebrate! Try (safely!) to get a photo of it when it reads 299,999 miles!

I think my car spent most of its life in the general L.A. area before I bought it probably doing the daily grind drive like everyone else. Whoever first owned it ordered it with the Lexus Phone option which was not cheap at the time so I have to wonder about what adventures it had in its early years! By the time I got it after a lot of initial TLC repair I took it on a LOT of work commutes within and out of the city. The longest were easily 100 mile days or more by the time I got home. I'll be doing that with it again before long but I might also be looking at getting a second car alongside it by then too.
Old 09-24-21, 10:55 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Here's a number

Got mine from family, so many years ago I don't even remember which year
but now I'm itching to do a vin # search on it. It's basically the same car that I got so many yrs ago
KahnBB6 (09-25-21)
Old 09-24-21, 11:11 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Got the motor mounts installed, Yahoo! It was rather painless and the car is running unbelievably good. Motor is super strong, climbs hills effortlessly, rides and does what I wished for at first, takes curves level. No more leaning . Pretty nice w the Corbeau's. Hope this is the fix, although they have been dashed before.
feeling really good right now
Bimmerbill (09-24-21)
Old 09-24-21, 11:23 PM
perfctreig
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
You should note the original overall diameter of your factory tires and compared to the overall diameter of your new tires. Since I know you have done no driveline modifications to the car you should calculate the percentage of under read you are getting on the speedometer from the increase in tire OD..
That is way cool! I'm checking it out asap. I have 17" wheels on mine and may go to 19" wheels. I am always driving faster than I expect and forget to adjust in my brain.

<edit> Jason Fenske has a great video on the Yellow Box for his S2000. Worth a watch. This build is great, keep us posted. Oh, and I LOVE Mono Lake. Haven't been there in a few years, but will go back.

</edit>

Last edited by perfctreig; 09-24-21 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Engineering Explained
KahnBB6 (09-25-21)
Old 09-25-21, 01:40 PM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Jason Fenske’s tutorial is excellent and thorough! He makes it very easy to follow!

I do feel that it’s better to pull the Yellowbox harness through the transmission tunnel however. This makes any later re-adjustment or service easy.

In my links in the previous post I show how to do this using a blocked off hole on the SC transmission tunnel that you remove a rubber grommet to access.

You have to de-pin the PnP harness connector to get the wires through, then re-pin that connector once it’s on the other side. Not hard at all
Old 10-11-21, 03:00 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Yesterday Sunday took the Bullet out for a test run
Its been storming a lot, today the wind is howling, It was a nice clear blue sky day. I decided to drive to Sedona on the Oak Creek Canyon scenic drive . One of America's famous drives. It has about every kind of curve on it you can imagine and test out all the new things. "coilovers, motor mounts" etc.

I've basically had 2 goals, try to smooth out the ride and not leaning in curves. I was impressed, everything I wanted in the curves and more, loved it. No leaning at all and tight turns. Now I have to learn not to lean, myself, even in the Corbeau's. On the straights, relatively smooth hwy's, its pretty near like floating w the coilovers. I think being lower w this front end, early year SC, helps also. The least air resistance up front works for my kind of long distance driving.

It does bounce and I've been told its the nature of coilovers and I have to just live w it. I'm learning to.
It was a nice drive in a nice car in a beautiful place. All in all a very good day
They do happen! Yahoo
The following 3 users liked this post by Barbary:
Bimmerbill (10-11-21), KahnBB6 (10-11-21), RudysSC (10-12-21)
Old 10-23-21, 07:50 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Got a new Interstate battery and a full synthetic oil change. Ready for winter (I hope), hunkering down, done at a Meineke. Had my motor mounts installed there also. Most of the suspension now is less than a year old, wheels are a little over a yr old
KahnBB6 (10-24-21)
Old 10-24-21, 01:28 AM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Keeping it up as usual! I always love to hear about your SC400 running well, Barbary!
Barbary (10-24-21)

Quick Reply: Barbary's SC, the Purple Bullet