Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Barbary's SC, the Purple Bullet

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-21, 09:30 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 508 Likes on 301 Posts

Thanks Craig, for the feedback. I always learn something and usually a lot
Looks like somethings about my car will always be a mystery . Sure would like to know, why its one of the few SC hardtops. Knowing the sale price would also be Kool. I assume that INTERIOR LA60 is the leather option

Something interesting... I have seen the car when it was green. I mentioned I got it from family (for a ridiculous price). They made me an offer I couldn't refuse
I used to call the color "old folks green"
Joe
Old 12-01-21, 03:36 PM
perfctreig
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

I was just reviewing your thread. Wonderful pictures! I love the Eastern Sierra as well as the Sedona and surrounding areas. Need to drive there in my SC!

I'm curious by what you mean with "hardtop". They didn't make a convertible SC300 or 400. Only the SC430 was a convertible.
Old 12-01-21, 06:19 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Sorry, I was trying to differentiate my car as an SC without a sun roof
The following users liked this post:
perfctreig (12-02-21)
Old 12-02-21, 09:23 AM
perfctreig
Intermediate

lol, got it. I didn't even know they made SC cars without a sunroof!

Got approached this morning while gassing up. Guy said he owned six SC's over the years and now had an ISF. He's thinking he needs to get a new SC.
Barbary (12-02-21)
Old 12-02-21, 07:47 PM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,251 Likes on 871 Posts

Originally Posted by perfctreig

Got approached this morning while gassing up. Guy said he owned six SC's over the years and now had an ISF. He's thinking he needs to get a new SC.
We commonly refer to the rare non-sunroof SC's as "hardtop" or "slicktop". It's a pretty rare option in the USA and Canada. Usually it was found on very modestly optioned extreme base trim SC's (which also usually had cloth interiors and/or manual adjust steering columns) or sometimes on 5-speed manual SC's with a couple of options.

By contrast the 91-00 Soarer sibling car predominantly got the "hardtop" (no sunroof) and manual steering column options despite having a host of other nice options we didn't get here. Over there it was usually the "luxury" leather trim models (rarer) and V8's (more common) that had the sunroof and manual automatic column.... but even then the sunroof wasn't a very popular option for JDM Soarers. In the USA and Canada the dealers made the option decisions 95% of the time and what we got is what we got.

However I've read of more than one original SC owner of a hardtop model stating that they specially ordered their SC that way from the factory and had to wait for delivery back in the day. Usually it wasn't the case though.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 12-03-21 at 07:32 PM. Reason: minor correction
The following 3 users liked this post by KahnBB6:
Barbary (12-02-21), Bimmerbill (12-03-21), perfctreig (12-02-21)
Old 12-02-21, 08:35 PM
perfctreig
Intermediate

Hmm, learn something new every day! I love my sunroof and have it open most days. I had one on my Avalanche and Maxima before that. I missed it.
Old 12-02-21, 09:20 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Originally Posted by perfctreig

Having driven the car well over 100,000 miles in California, the last thing I wanted was more sun coming into the car.

I always felt a little sorry for the guys who have jumped from one SC to another and never built up a long lasting relationship w 1 good one
I've had a very long lasting relationship w The Bullet and its been Magical

Old 12-03-21, 05:32 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Received 327 Likes on 253 Posts

Barbary, I count you as being very fortunate to own a hardtop. As much as I love my car with the sunroof there are only two things I would change and that is sunroof delete and a manual transmission. I have had a number of BMW's over the years with sunroofs and hated that feature on all of them. I really enjoyed my 2002's because none of them had/has one. Continue enjoying your car to the upmost and I will be thinking about you.
Barbary (12-03-21)
Old 12-03-21, 02:27 PM
perfctreig
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
Barbary, I count you as being very fortunate to own a hardtop. As much as I love my car with the sunroof there are only two things I would change and that is sunroof delete and a manual transmission.
Not to detract from Barbary's cool SC - why would one delete the sunroof? I have it at least partially open most days and love being able to look up when driving. I agree about the manual transmission.
Old 12-03-21, 04:33 PM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

I wrote that about my own feelings and was just expressing same. I have a personal thing about my SC and the way I want to see it finished. I did not mean to start an argument. I love this organization and the people in it. I read every word every day that comes out in our email. Guess what, there is a few things members mention that they are going to do or have done that I totally am not sure about. Hey it's just a personal thing.
Old 12-03-21, 06:47 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
Barbary, I count you as being very fortunate to own a hardtop. Continue enjoying your car to the upmost and I will be thinking about you.
Really kind words and thoughts Bill...Wow! "U2"

Last edited by Barbary; 12-03-21 at 06:54 PM.
Bimmerbill (12-03-21)
Old 12-04-21, 05:56 PM
Barbary
Instructor

I cleaned up the engine bay for the 300

blows me away everything you see there is factory original

Last edited by Barbary; 12-04-21 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-05-21, 10:20 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Default Waxing the car

I've been getting despondent about the swirls and streaks showing up on my paint. I knew the usual wet and wax I've been doing was going to do nothing. Then came to me I need to do a full "old school" hand wax. Went and got, Turtle Wax--Super Hard Shell Finish Paste Wax. Didn't know what would happen, but hoped for improvements. Just know back in the day this is all we had. Elbow grease ha ha.

went at it, took 3 days, doing certain sections ea day. Gave it a thorough wash before
This all came about by hitting 300 000.

When I got done I had the slipperiest paint job I ever had. At least equalling the clay, and maybe more. It was really smooth
So, this is a picture of my hood

This pic is of my hood, actually happened by accident, as most of mine do. I see something interesting and take a photograph of it. I was looking at the car judging how It turned out and saw this. A reflection of some overhead trees on the hood, note the purple. Well that answered that ha ha.
tfv...criticism, comments, always welcome,

Last edited by Barbary; 12-06-21 at 11:00 PM.
Bimmerbill (12-06-21)
Old 12-06-21, 05:35 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Love the results of your wax job and also the location where you made the transformation. Go Barbary.
Barbary (12-06-21)
Old 12-06-21, 09:19 PM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Received 295 Likes on 190 Posts

Hey Barbary!

You mentioned swirls on the paint. If you have swirl marks, the only way to get rid of them permanently is with some form of paint correction. Wax is a protectant, and won’t fix a swirl. Now, some waxes will act as a filler, making the swirls appear less severe, but ultimately, it’s still there. Furthermore, if wax continues to be applied in this manner, you will make it harder to fix the streaks eventually, because you have to strip all the wax before you can begin to affect the real culprit; your clear coat.

If I may be so bold, I would recommend the following: since you don’t have any orbital polishers and are accustom to elbow grease, get yourself a foam, or microfiber applicator pad (microfiber is more aggressive) and some Meguiars polish, or like product. Apply the product to your pad and hand buff. Start with a small section and then check your work. Are the swirls improved? Are they gone all together? The best way to tell is actually in a fairly dark room with one source of light only. In fact, use your phone flash light and focus on its “white dot” that reflects back in the paint. If you see more damage, you can continue to polish.

Was your car garaged since it was sprayed RSP? If so, there’s a good chance you have plenty of paint to work with, as aftermarket paint jobs tend to be thicker than factory paint jobs.

There are many layers to this, but I’m happy to share what I know in as much detail as you’d like. I only post cause I hear you saying you want to get rid of them and I know that wax doesn’t do that, so hopefully this helps you get rid of them, for good!

Nick

Quick Reply: Barbary's SC, the Purple Bullet