Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Barbary's SC, the Purple Bullet

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-22, 10:34 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 508 Likes on 301 Posts

Hi, 9-2
Its funny,I got the car because of the paint job. Its like I mentioned, it was in the family and I saw it w its original factory paint "Royal Jade Pearl". Boy thats a BS paint name. It wasn't royal and it wasn't pearl, it was green. I even called it old peoples green, anyway family didn't like the color and sent it to LA to get it painted blue, . Well it came back the color it is now. The family member is a girl and she couldn't see driving around in a purple car. Didn't want to send it back down and get it repainted, the SC wasn't really sporty enough, so she went out a got a black Mitsubishi EVO and like I said "made me an offer I couldn't refuse" at a ridiculous price.
Folks have mentioned the Mopar Plum, but I think you put that next to mine it would be noticeably lighter color. To my eye I don't think there is more than a hint or tint of purple, just enough not to make it blue, blue. I don't know what could have happened but the quality of the work was 1st class for sure and I sure am happy .

Have to say, I wasn't that thrilled driving a purple car but I understood where she was coming from. Now, In California I was driving around in my Corvette the same one I drove from NY to Cal. and in Nevada I was driving my 4X4 Blazer. However people started coming up to me and telling how much they liked the car and I know enough about driving to know the car was great. It was a 2 door rear wheel drive V8 (a real car)! I fell in Love w it real quick and Love it more and more all the time.

So there it is kind of a Love Story

About the headlights, thank you for your interest. I actually compound them every few years and this summer I installed some super halogens. The problem is my kind of driving isn't conducive to any part of my front end (it takes a beating). I go out and drive 1,2,3, thousand miles at at time for at least a week or 2, usually in the desert going from 1 place to another in 100 degrees for hours and hours.

The Bullet is home out here:

I got dings and Knicks all over the front. I've repainted the bumper and touch it up all the time. I will try that clear headlight spray, thanks.
I want to visit and photograph as many State and National Parks as I can and just see things. Most of the pictures of the Bullet in here are at 1 park or another. The pic you reposted is in Walnut Canyon National Monument. When I'm Driving it w my camera, thats pretty much 7th heaven for me. I'm sure the Bullet loves it as much as I do.

So hang in there, 9-2 go w the flow and enjoy the ride!
Joe

Last edited by Barbary; 01-27-22 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-22-22, 02:59 PM
Barbary
Instructor

one new pic above
Old 01-25-22, 11:36 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,207 Likes on 836 Posts

Lookin good out there as always!
Old 01-27-22, 08:03 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Thanks Rudy and Best wishes on your new shop
Go gettum Tiger
Old 01-27-22, 09:05 PM
Barbary
Instructor

I've been noticing new stress points turning up in my 30 year old car. Since I installed the coilovers and then had the car leveled. Little body separations (slight) ie; rear seats from the speakers platforms, doors. I've been watching gerrbs siblings thread, I noticed the engine strut tower braces on his cars and I liked that. Don't recall seeing them much on other SC's here although I probably have.

Did a quick scan in performance. Should have utilized it a long time ago.
Not that it would have helped me that much. There isn't a Lexus dealer anywhere around me or any shops that know anything about lowering SC's or know anything about SC's. I've had to use anything I could get my hands on especially during covid.
Strut bars don't seem to be a popular subject. Found one post talked about rear struts. Bimmer Bill even replied

I want to put one on my engine bay, for the above reasons and even to add a little "Bling"
So any thoughts about these bars, any advices

Thanks, Barbary
Old 01-27-22, 09:35 PM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Received 295 Likes on 190 Posts

The consensus seems to be that strut bars don’t add much rigidity unless they attach at three points. There was a great option for RX7’s that I wanted in my FD, but never got around to it. Something like this:

As you can see this one actually mounts in SIX points! Something akin to this will add a great deal of strength, I would think. Shock towers and firewall inboard and outboard.

Nick
The following 2 users liked this post by CLass of 1:
Barbary (01-28-22), KahnBB6 (01-28-22)
Old 01-28-22, 01:14 AM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,251 Likes on 871 Posts

^^ Nick is right. The best strut bars tend to be the ones that attach to the struts and firewall. Like the one pictured above on that RX-7 the version he describes is sometimes also referred to as an "Export Brace". This type of strut bar that we are talking about originated in the 1965 or '66 Shelby Mustang GT350 and was also known as a "Monte Carlo Bar", though no one calls them that any longer. Having owned a 1969 Mustang many years ago I can attest that with the chassis and suspension design that it had there was a much more immediately noticeable effect when adding a strengthening brace between its two strut-type shock towers.

With Z30 Soarers, SC300/400's and Supra MKIV's the front and rear double wishbone suspensions our cars have actually don't benefit massively from the use of a front strut bar which only joins the two front shock towers together. However Supra MKIV Targa Top owners have said otherwise since their sibling chassis in the non-hardtop version can have a little more flex than the Z30 SC/Soarer chassis does.

There is nothing wrong with adding it for improvement and something sturdy looking in your engine bay however. In fact I just the other day ordered a new Supra MKIV TRD front strut bar for myself (Toyota / TRD part number: PTR04-14930-07)

Note however that only certain Supra or SC strut bars will fit over the 1UZ-FE engine. The TRD *might* with some washers to raise it up a bit at the shock towers but I cannot confirm that will work at all. Some previous threads have covered this.

There is, however, a Cusco front strut bar that is made for the 92-00 SC400 which will fit. Driftmotion sells those under their inventory item number: 961 540 A. Other places sell it also.

I've done just about every other major suspension related upgrade to my car and so a strut bar was dead last on my list of potential aftermarket parts.

It can be a good thing to get one but as far as actual performance benefits you would get much more immediately noticeable handling and performance differences from:

--Swapping in a 1993-1996 Supra MKIV TT 22mm OEM rear sway bar with OEM Supra MKIV style subframe mounts.
--Or a set of Whiteline or Daizen SC-specific front and rear sway bars (although in the rear I feel the Supra MKIV swaybar anchor points are superior).
--A limited slip differential of a design that suits your driving needs and style.
--A higher end choice of tire compound and model-- arguably one of the most overlooked aspects of a vehicle's overall handling package.
--Even swapping over to an IS300 style steering wheel gives a better feel in your hands than the stock early style four spoke steering wheel.

After all of those things... if you still want one last little bit of (possibly debatable for these cars) handling improvement... *then* install a front strut bar that will clear your 1UZ engine.

Or... do it first but plan on also pursuing those other handling upgrades as well to see much more substantial improvements in your SC400's handling

Basically just don't expect too much of a seat of the pants difference from installing a front strut bar in an SC300/400 which already has a fantastic four wheel double wishbone suspension.

As for some little creaks and rattles, all older cars get them and SC's often gain a few just the same over time. But that's mostly interior pieces shifting a tiny bit.

With Gerry's fully worked over SC's he's pretty much throwing the kitchen sink at all of his cars in every regard and to that end he's been collecting many parts to finish his extensive projects for a long time One of his cars also has some now very rare Do-Luck center chassis stiffening bars for the back seat area that are designed for the Z30 Soarer but which fit the SC. He also usually averages around 900whp++ and plenty of torque in most of his SC's so in his case there is some good reason to give those uncommon stiffening parts a try!

Last edited by KahnBB6; 01-28-22 at 03:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Barbary (01-28-22)
Old 01-28-22, 09:52 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Originally Posted by CLass of 1
The consensus seems to be that strut bars don’t add much rigidity unless they attach at three points. There was a great option for RX7’s that I wanted in my FD, but never got around to it. Something like this:

As you can see this one actually mounts in SIX points! Something akin to this will add a great deal of strength, I would think. Shock towers and firewall inboard and outboard.

Nick
Thanks Nick nice pic just a little overkill for me, but I appreciate it
Old 01-28-22, 10:37 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Khan, your dynamite!
I found a couple. That Driftmotion has them in stock and so does McGeorge Toyota have the Toyota one. 180 at drift 155 at McGeorge the 155 sounds OK to me I bought my LCA from McGeorge and that was a good transaction. I'd have to check w them on the fit.
I'm sure I'll wind up painting it, a blue or a Silver...Gloss

Like I said, I liked the way they looked on Gerry's cars. Maybe I'll just buy it as a bling gift to the car for so many great years. The way the engine bay looks it may just be the topping on the cake. And I'll take any incremental bonuses I'll pick up. I don't need any Super things. I don't drag it, drift it. Usually drive it in a straight line for long, long, long distances or take some canyon curves in the mountains.
I like to keep the Bullet happy and letting it know I care
Someday I'll write about some of the amazing things.

Khan, I want to thank you again, totally thorough and a lot to think of. I just come to the forum first any more, you guys give great advice and always point me in the right direction

Did find a few of those posts
69 Mustang was an absolute winner

Last edited by Barbary; 01-28-22 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-29-22, 12:24 AM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Certainly, Barbary! I don't know for sure if the TRD strut bar will fit a 1UZ SC even with some washers to space it up a bit. Certainly check on that before you buy that one, although I can now tell you firsthand that it is extremely high quality and VERY beefy. Mine just arrived today from McGeorge Toyota. Cusco is also a very well known and highly regarded parts manufacturer.

And Gerry corrected me in that it does offer more front end stiffening and handling improvement than I had initially thought. I will post some installation pictures and review on it on my thread soon once I have some time to get it installed. Although I do stand by my recommendations above to also pursue the other suspension and handling upgrades as well in addition to your coilovers.

I also use my SC as a 100% street car with no racing or drifting. However improvements such as these are still useful and move the car away from its softer suspension tune when in 100% stock form.

Certainly incremental improvements are always welcome things and you do always keep your SC400 happy

Thank you, I loved that '69 Mustang. I had many upgrade plans for it at the time I owned it but life priorities forced me to sell it. Now they're going for 4-8x what I paid for and sold my old one for, ha ha! I've always wanted to get another one and modify it to my specifications but only alongside my SC

Last edited by KahnBB6; 01-29-22 at 12:31 AM.
Barbary (01-29-22)
Old 01-29-22, 11:33 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Certainly, Barbary! I don't know for sure if the TRD strut bar will fit a 1UZ SC even with some washers to space it up a bit. Certainly check on that before you buy that one, although I can now tell you firsthand that it is extremely high quality and VERY beefy. Mine just arrived today from McGeorge Toyota. Cusco is also a very well known and highly regarded parts manufacturer.

Certainly incremental improvements are always welcome things and you do always keep your SC400 happy

Thank you, I loved that '69 Mustang. I had many upgrade plans for it at the time I owned it but life priorities forced me to sell it. Now they're going for 4-8x what I paid for and sold my old one for, ha ha! I've always wanted to get another one and modify it to my specifications but only alongside my SC
Thanks Khan, glad to hear "it does offer more front end stiffening and handling improvement" cause I'm probably going to get one. I like the one you just got 👍

I too had a deal pretty much like your Mustang

It was my 66 396 Super Sport Chevelle. I believe it was Chevy's first muscle car. It was their first car they put the 396 into, except for the 65 Corvette (not a muscle car). Mine was the same 425 hp in the Vette but advertised as 375 hp (the insurance thing). The picture I believe was the day I bought it home from the dealer. If you want to smile note the Red Line tires, the hot set up at the time. Also the weakest link of the whole car.
Had it for a couple of years and went into the Air Force, never saw it again. Being a car guy I think of it all the time. It was the 4 speed stick
I've been seeing more and more you tubes of the car lately, makes it even harder

All the Best Barbary

Last edited by Barbary; 04-21-22 at 11:49 PM.
KahnBB6 (03-20-22)
Old 03-19-22, 01:02 AM
Barbary
Instructor

Default New Shoes

Well the Purple Bullet got some new shoes. Michelin Pilot Sports. 245 /40 R18's
And got a Cusco engine strut bar
A pretty unbelievable story on the Michelins, but stuff that probably everyone here goes thru now-a-days

I was all set to order the same Goodyear Eagle Sports I've been driving the last 5 or 6 yrs and have done me well, thru Discount Tires
Understood there is a discount at Discount tires if you order online thru their Discount Tires Direct.
I went to their on line and tried to order the Goodyears and a Michelin pop up kept popping up. Finally I started paying attention to it and it was for $110 discount on their tires. OK I found these tires and w the online discount and the Michelin discount and they gave me a military discount I wound up w almost $200 of discounts. Now I'm home w the tires on the car.

However it wound up being an ordeal, to say the least.
I placed the order thru PayPal on Sunday and got their confirmation but never got one from Discount. The deal was they would ship the tires to their nearest store. I called the store if they had a record of the order and they didn't. Called Direct and they found the order, sent me the confirm and invoice w a shipping date of the 21st. On 16 I checked their tracking # and they had arrived at the store 9am that morning. Got no call from the store so I called the at 2 and they said they had them. I was then going there the next day.

I went the next day and they could find only 2 of the tires (this is unbelievable) one of the salesmen just sold the other 2 to someone 1/2 hr before. I went home w the 2 Michelins and 2 other different Michelins and it was a shakey ride at that. Got a call today 2 of the type ordered were shipped and to come have them installed. Had them rebalance all.

Now this is a side, Its a rather big store. I didn't see anyone there that looked over 25 yrs old, most looked like teenagers.🤷‍♂️
The ride home was Great! No shakes just smooth. I guess any new tire is going to ride better than some old tires w 1000's of miles and yrs on them. Anyway they look good, ride good. Ill have some pics but now I'm cleaning up my wheels. They've taken a beating this winter w the snow and mud.

I checked for strut bars, McGeorge didn't have a fit but Driftmotion had an SC specific (amazing) and had a nice discount too (must be a good time for buying stuff)!
Right now they have a tracking date for this monday. It looks just like the one Kahn posted, even copper. My only issue is am I going to paint it or not. If I do a matching blue, but thats not easy or go all out Bling and gloss silver. Thats a nice decision to have
KahnBB6 (03-20-22)
Old 03-20-22, 02:22 AM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Those are some nice tires you've got on there! Michelin Pilot Sports are great. What specific model of those did you get (besides the sizing)?

I'm sorry you had such trouble with the shop initially selling a couple of the tires you had ordered! Poor business practice on their part but at least they made it right for you in the end.

I just recently found out that my favorite go-to tire the BFGoodrich Sport Comp-2 summer compound has been discontinued in my sizes (245/45R17 front & 725/40R17 rear) and is probably going to be totally discontinued eventually as a formulation. So after doing a lot of research I discovered that the BFGoodrich Sport Comp-2 A/S Plus (all-season) gets very high ratings.... and is manufactured in my front and rear sizes.

I've never liked all-season tires on a high performance car but test after test seemed to indicate that all-season tire technology has improved a lot in recent years... at least if you buy a high performance all-season from Michelin or BFGoodrich that is.

I just needed rears for now so I got an order in with Sams Club for a set of the 275's. They can't order the front 245's for some reason so I'll have to get those from another company.

I hope you'll have a good experience with your new Pilot Sports!

The strut bar that you ordered... did that end up being the Cusco model?
Old 03-20-22, 05:35 AM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Received 295 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Those are some nice tires you've got on there! Michelin Pilot Sports are great. What specific model of those did you get (besides the sizing)?

I'm sorry you had such trouble with the shop initially selling a couple of the tires you had ordered! Poor business practice on their part but at least they made it right for you in the end.

I just recently found out that my favorite go-to tire the BFGoodrich Sport Comp-2 summer compound has been discontinued in my sizes (245/45R17 front & 725/40R17 rear) and is probably going to be totally discontinued eventually as a formulation. So after doing a lot of research I discovered that the BFGoodrich Sport Comp-2 A/S Plus (all-season) gets very high ratings.... and is manufactured in my front and rear sizes.

I've never liked all-season tires on a high performance car but test after test seemed to indicate that all-season tire technology has improved a lot in recent years... at least if you buy a high performance all-season from Michelin or BFGoodrich that is.

I just needed rears for now so I got an order in with Sams Club for a set of the 275's. They can't order the front 245's for some reason so I'll have to get those from another company.

I hope you'll have a good experience with your new Pilot Sports!

The strut bar that you ordered... did that end up being the Cusco model?
Even with “high marks” I wouldn’t buy an all season tire man. Treadwear is a major indicator and I’m guessing they are 500 or so. That tells you everything. The compound won’t be sticky compared to a summer tire with a 300 treadwear compound, or one of the frue high performers with a 200 treadwear tire.

I would take these reviews with a grain of salt. The only true way to know would be lap times, same car and track on same day, same driver. If the all seasons came within 10% I’d be shocked.

Now there’s a completely different argument to be made as to whether or not you (or me) NEED a tire with those performance characteristics, but I have also done a ton of research and after purchasing only summer tires for about a decade now, I’m completely convinced. In Florida, it’s summer tires and that’s it. All-seasons will only reduce contact patch (tread design), which reduces grip. Have a less sticky compound (treadwear), which reduces grip.

I snapped this photo when my exhaust was being done. Look at the tread design and emphasis on contact patch. Also notice that every groove in these tires is designed solely for wet traction. If there were any additional grooves cut in for snow grip, that space on the tire would be less optimally designed for wet grip. A tire’s ability to evacuate water is very much a top priority for us as well, though I do my best (as I’m sure you do too) of not driving it in the rain.

Sorry for the highjack, Joe! Hope this is helpful to you, Craig!

Nick

Last edited by CLass of 1; 03-20-22 at 05:41 AM.
KahnBB6 (03-21-22)
Old 03-21-22, 12:16 AM
Barbary
Instructor

1st I'll start off with:
"Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4, is the first all-season tire that was picked as an OE option for the launch of the new mid-engine Corvette."
That should remove any question it's considered a true high performance tire
Kahn, thank you for the well wishes and glad you like them. And yes its tough out there! Had them installed Friday and here are some pics I took yesterday
Yes the strut bar is Cusco. Got a notice that I have to sign for them on arrival tomorrow Yahoo! Their photo is copywritten so I can't post the pic but looks great over the 400 open engine

So the deal is Nick I've been running Goodyear Eagle Sport AS's for the last 5 years, 40,000 miles and they have been so good and dependable, I was looking to repurchase a same set of them, because they IMHO are the best I've had, I've had all kinds, Falkens etc. I still have decent tread depth, more than the minimum. But where I'll be driving I'm going to need more than the minimum and I'll be putting 1000's of more miles on. My tire requirements are different because I'm probably the only one here who drives their SC as a GT.... (You know the long distances at hi speeds thing)

I don't do lap times, time attacks, drift, quarter miles. I go straight as fast as I can for as long as I can (till I get tired or see something). Sometimes w family, sometimes w a friend on my own is good, then you can go where you want, when you want, how you want, if you want. Kind of the ultimate freedom, especially a, get a way, if you live in a Big city. Some call that touring, I call it fun. Also enjoy doing mountain curves now that the car doesn't lean. Anxious to see what the strut bar adds.

I did check out other tires like the Pirelli Zero's. They were like 180 to what I need. Rated soft and grip. I want hard and temperature rated, for the extreme heats of those desert roads. I don't need any tire problems out in the middle of no-where. If you see one of the above pics still has snow. Now I never drive in snow, the car is a highway car, but I do wind up in messy situations. This is funny "kinda". I wrote where I had to drive home w 2 different Michelin tires from discount. I wanted to see the 2 tires, they were Michelin summer tires and all I saw was "Hydroplane Specials" lot of flat road contact not many grooves, like they are rated Soft and Grip. Now I have hydroplaned in the Bullet around San Francisco. It is not a good feeling, no road contact doing 60mph for a few seconds. You've got to be really lucky in traffic coming out of it unscathed, and clean drawers.

Got some good weather this next week just snowed a little tonight. Hope its winters last gasp. Probably tues I'll do a test run w these new tires into Nevada, then put the strut bar on and see what if any differences on another trip somewhere. But I think the Bullet is as ready to get out there as can be, and I do mean "Out There" ha ha
thanks for checking in
The following 2 users liked this post by Barbary:
KahnBB6 (03-21-22), RudysSC (03-21-22)

Quick Reply: Barbary's SC, the Purple Bullet