Barbary's SC, the Purple Bullet

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-21, 04:46 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 508 Likes on 301 Posts
Default Barbary's SC, the Purple Bullet

Start out w the latest car pic
basically the whole interior is the way it was the day it left the factory, nothing is replaced, all the original. Except, obviously the Corbeau seats

Used sun shade, sunlight can wipe out a lot of detail

driver door

passenger door

Old 04-15-21, 05:04 PM
Barbary
Instructor

continue
dashbaord shot

this one is hard to believe. the original speakers and their condition

console shot, 2 plugs hanging out 1 for Tom Tom other for phone

dash / and cupholder hanging on glove compartment. One improvises

cabin / cockpit shot

Last edited by Barbary; 04-15-21 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-15-21, 05:37 PM
Barbary
Instructor

continue
for me the most amazing thing about the interior is the headliner. spotless, no tears, rips (amazing). Looks almost new, but was impossible to photograph. just didn't photograph well, couldn't get it all in, not even w my ultra wide camera lens. I don't know how a 30 yr old one can look like that. Especially daily driver. Hats off to Lexus, Wow!

a word about the Corbeau's: "quality pays off", these are at least 10 yrs old. The stitching is intact, no wear signs anywhere, colors are holding. When new they did instruct to get in and out carefully you can tear up the bottom seat arm, but that's all. BTW these are Supra racing seats that just bolt right in.
2 things I really like about them. They are very lite weight, especially compared to the original Lexus ones; and once you are In, you are In!

there is a real rodeo next to this hotel restaurant, horses, everything

Thanks. I did this because its a​​​​​ ​​really amazing 30 yr old car interior

Last edited by Barbary; 04-15-21 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-15-21, 06:17 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 363 Likes on 231 Posts

For me I don’t like a lighter interior color thats off shade of an exterior color. You now have no less than 5 colors inside your interior. 3 is generally the max, with 2 preferred (dual tone). I’d match as much as possible to eliminate so many color variations and make the interior flow better. 2 of them are the seats alone. If you ever get wear on your seats and change the fabric I’d choose something you already have inside. This of course being less of opinion and more of the rules of color schemes and flow in automotive design.this is how everyone ELSE aside of yourself can enjoy it (say, if you sell it for instance). For the more opinion side, anything you do to make it more your own and something you enjoy is the way to go. you gotta look at it every day, so it should be how you want. One thing i do know, those seats are usually pretty comfy!
Old 04-15-21, 08:00 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
For me I don’t like!
like you said, that's you, not me
interesting, not one word about the condition
Old 04-16-21, 07:30 AM
perfctreig
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Pretty sweet. I like how the seats and steering wheel match the exterior color. What head unit do you have?
Old 04-16-21, 08:32 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Barbary
like you said, that's you, not me
interesting, not one word about the condition
This made me lol..

Barbary, looks pretty sharp after all these years, you have taken good care of it and it shows
Old 04-16-21, 09:29 AM
ObSCessed
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I like those purple floor mats barbary, have you considered putting in some blue LED interior lights? I recently did my black and grey interior with them and the blue light compliments grey nicely. As for condition that is like a time capsule. Do you still have your original seats? Did you notice a difference in handling when you switched to race seats?
Old 04-17-21, 04:50 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

OP - anything about your car or cars , like pictures , progression or its evolution .From now on I will suggest starting a thread at the Build Thread Section so everything about your cars are in one place or thread.

Am closing this thread

EDIT : 04/22

thread moved to Build Threads.

Last edited by gerrb; 04-22-21 at 04:37 AM.
Old 05-08-21, 09:21 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Thanks Guys. I appreciate it
A few more words about the above. I didn't clean up the car special or anything. Been driving it and the thought about this thread came to me and I got my camera and took the pics. This is the everyday Bullet. I armorall the whole interior twice a yr. Thats about it. Original carpets.
I dumped the heavy stock seats and the car was noticeably lighter and moved easier
Old 05-08-21, 11:07 PM
Barbary
Instructor

This build thread section is turning out to be a pretty good idea, because unintentionally I seem to be rebuilding much of the car.
I've run into many difficulties as others during this covid.
Moved up here far away into the mountains right before covid. I haven't seen another SC since I've been here. The Bullet might be the only SC that's ever been anywhere around here. But the folks here like the car. I get shout-outs and comps all the time. In the most unlikely places🤷‍♂️. What I'm getting at, is nobody knows how to work on it.
I might be back in the Bay Area just to get some work done.

I replaced my Enkei 20 yr wheels recently w Yoshihara full reverses. That wasn't easy at the start of this covid thing but I really like them and have helped in driving performance. The wider ride helps, love the looks, like they were made for SC's
Had to get a whole coil ignition system, and got a new steering pump___ouch!

Then the Bullet wasn't doing good in the mountain curves. Decided to lower it. Man, finding a place here was not easy! Finally found a suspension shop, they mostly do lifts on monster trucks, probably never worked on a Lexus car, let alone on a purple SC ha ha. They put it on a lift and saw most everything was worn out after 30 yrs (I'm rounding out, of course). So, I went for Tien adjustable coil overs, new control arms and ball joints. They were good about it, went out of their way a few times and did stuff they don't usually do

But I don't know how well any of this was done, including the ignition. Don't know if anyone here has ever even seen an SC

Right now I'm hoping the ball joints start working well w the new control arms which need to get in sync w the coil overs and they get comfortable w the reverse wheels which are a big change. 1st day, took it out on a 300 mile drive on a straight away, no mountain curves, trying to get things used to each other. So far so good
But man, its been a struggle!

Some pics of the almost rebuilt, lowered Bullet

Yoshihara Full reverse

Thanks for checking in___Barbary
The following 3 users liked this post by Barbary:
Ali SC3 (05-27-21), Bimmerbill (05-09-21), KahnBB6 (05-10-21)
Old 05-09-21, 10:21 AM
ObSCessed
Pit Crew

That is a very wise decision to take the car back to the bay to ensure high quality work is being done, my recomendation is the Model Garage in berkeley. They have worked on all my Lexus's they are a toyota/Lexus indie and do great work. They do real diagnosis ,not just parts replacers. Tell them Roland Sent you, they will treat you right.
The following users liked this post:
Barbary (05-09-21)
Old 05-10-21, 09:06 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,207 Likes on 836 Posts

Lookin good Barbary!
The following users liked this post:
Barbary (05-10-21)
Old 05-10-21, 02:48 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Originally Posted by ObSCessed
That is a very wise decision to take the car back to the bay to ensure high quality work is being done, my recomendation is the Model Garage in berkeley. They have worked on all my Lexus's they are a toyota/Lexus indie and do great work. They do real diagnosis ,not just parts replacers. Tell them Roland Sent you, they will treat you right.
Roland, Wow, that's Perfect! exactly what I'm lookin 4
lived down by the Ballpark and had this My Mechanic shop, were very good and Honest, only needed regular service stuff, but now I'm sure I need special, SC familiar guys,
Thanks, my name is_Joe Maybe we can have a Starbucks

that's the ballpark in my photo below

Last edited by Barbary; 05-11-21 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-10-21, 10:33 PM
ObSCessed
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Barbary
Roland, Wow, that's Perfect! exactly what I'm lookin 4
lived down by the Ballpark and had this My Mechanic shop, were very good and Honest, only needed regular service stuff, but now I'm sure I need special, SC familiar guys,
Thanks, just call me____Joe Maybe we can have a Starbucks

that's the ballpark in my photo below
sounds great, should you be in the oakland/berkeley area ring me. Not seeing the pic below your comment.

Quick Reply: Barbary's SC, the Purple Bullet