Build Threads Details on Club Lexus RC-F owner vehicles

2016 Ultrasonic Blue Mica Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-22, 08:52 PM
fchdx
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Quick little mod today, changed the rear trunk F logo to a standalone F logo by Forming Labs. They're 3D printed, so they arrived with step-wise ridges. Sanded it down with 400 grit and sprayed it gloss black. Seems to match the black Lexus logo a little better. I know JT2MA71had something similar on his car and his was made from the F badge from the engine cover, but I didn't know where to source that and this seemed like a good alternative.

Originally painted it electric green to match the brakes but seemed a little tacky so I repainted it black (this photo was with a test fit, placed on top of the OEM badge)

Old 02-22-22, 05:19 PM
fchdx
Driver

Ceramic coated the vinyl this weekend! I park outside during work so wanted to protect the vinyl as much as possible. Used CarPro Cquartz UK 3.0, and it's great. Rained today so was able to catch some of the beading on the roof.

Ordered the Lexion Apple CarPlay screen as well, so that'll be the next installation.

Old 03-20-22, 05:23 PM
fchdx
Driver

Lexion screen installed! Here are some pictures of the installation and end product.

Nicely packaged

Everything inside the box (no instructions). Lexion has a video tutorial that is okay and rushed so I used that and Barry Huang's android install video concurrently.

Taking the headunit and glove box apart

Behind the headunit, I've circled the two plugs you need to remove and swap. Everything else stays the same. 2 daisy chain plugs to the back of the OEM head unit, 2 plugs into the back of the new screen, 3 plugs into the Lexion unit, 1 daisy chain plug under the trackpad.

The brains of the screen. Basically an Android/Raspberry Pi unit. Lexion's YouTube video said to cram it into the space behind the glove box, but I wasn't able to. The engine noise speaker was in the way and I didn't want to mess with it, so I 3M'd it to the bottom of the glovebox instead.

Not visible unless you're looking under the glove box

Complete! Here's wireless carplay up and running. Able to switch back to the OEM UI at anytime.

It is a touch screen but I find myself using the trackpad more because of the long distance to the screen and fingerprint are easily seen.

Reverse camera still works, audio still works. Some settings that you have to go through in "advanced settings" to change the back up camera. For those who get this set up and are refencing this, go to advanced setting, type in the code 8868123,and change the car camera setting to CVBS.

All in all, pretty happy with this mod and I find myself actually using the screen now. Never really used the screen in the past except to look at my poor MPG, lol.

Also swapped out my 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot Super Sports to 285/35/19 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Lots of grip and no rubbing. Might add a 15mm spacer at the rear, the rear wheel is pretty much the same spec as OEM. Also still on stock suspension in the rear.

How she sits now

Next mod - likely FIGS LCA bushings!

Last edited by fchdx; 03-20-22 at 05:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
05RollaXRS (05-23-22)
Old 05-23-22, 06:10 PM
fchdx
Driver

Little weekend project. Picked up a used Studio RSR roll bar and paint matched it to the calipers.

Installation was very challenging, hardest part was trying to maneuver the heavy bars into position without scratching the interior. Tight fit, but made it work. Wasn't really using the backseats anyway, but put them back so its a little cleaner.

Might do an actual rear seat delete like Ron later down the line. One downside - because the roll bar sits more forward, range of motion of the front seats are limited. If you sit with your chair pretty far back, this mod might not work for you unless you change out the seats to something thinner.

Up next - Figs LCA bushings! Severe inner tire wear so had to order them ASAP before my new PS4S get too worn.

Last edited by fchdx; 06-02-22 at 04:32 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by fchdx:
05RollaXRS (05-23-22), ALargeTom (06-02-22), BS ISF (05-25-22), konichiwa3 (05-23-22)
Old 05-23-22, 07:31 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,788 Posts

Awesome stuff. Looks like you are converting it into a track-prep'ed race car.
fchdx (05-30-22)
Old 05-24-22, 07:26 AM
Patton6964
Advanced

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Yeah that's pretty sweet man.
fchdx (05-30-22)
Old 05-30-22, 02:18 PM
fchdx
Driver

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Awesome stuff. Looks like you are converting it into a track-prep'ed race car.
I still remember when you recommended Nardo Grey last year for my wrap. Glad I went with it, had I gotten satin black instead I think my build would have geared towards more show-car vs. track car!
Old 05-30-22, 02:26 PM
fchdx
Driver

More mods installed today!

LCA bushings from FIGS, found here. The driving force behind this install this is due to severe inner tire wear. My alignment was spot on when the car was not moving but supposedly the flexible OEM bushings are more likely to induce some toe in during certain circumstances (braking, turning, etc).

Got new front tires ASAP (PS4S) and wanted to add the bushings before the new tire gets too worn.

RR Racing also produces a similar bushing but I heard great things about the ones from FIGS, so decided to hop on the poly bushings. FIGS also makes a more track spec one that's stiffer but in turn increases NVH, so decided to go with the poly ones as the RCF is my daily.

OEM bushings which weren't in terrible shape (45k miles)

Trying to take a break from mods for a little () but next on the list would be a proper coilover set up and AOS. Then the car will be ready to hit the track!

Old 06-02-22, 01:25 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 547 Likes on 363 Posts

That inner tire wear looks similar to what happened to me on my ISF. LCA bushings are on my to do list since I just bought new tires.
Old 06-02-22, 02:26 PM
ALargeTom
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

What's your next project?
Maybe get green seatbelt / or this? XD

fchdx (06-02-22)
Old 06-02-22, 04:35 PM
fchdx
Driver

Originally Posted by cvt
That inner tire wear looks similar to what happened to me on my ISF. LCA bushings are on my to do list since I just bought new tires.
Definitely recommend! Less than $400 and should save you from prematurely buying tires.
Old 06-02-22, 04:39 PM
fchdx
Driver

Originally Posted by ALargeTom
What's your next project?
Maybe get green seatbelt / or this? XD

That looks awesome, thanks for the mock up! I was thinking of paint matching the F logo, but I should definitely do that middle portion as well. Now the only issue is finding a type of leather paint that is durable to wear/tear... Paint matched seat belts would look cool too! This roll bar unfortunately doesn't have any harness attachments, so changing the seat will probably be more likely.

Next big mod will probably be upgraded coilovers and an air/oil separator so I can get the car a little more track ready. Possibly some canards but haven't found any that I've liked so far
Old 06-02-22, 06:52 PM
ALargeTom
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by fchdx
That looks awesome, thanks for the mock up! I was thinking of paint matching the F logo, but I should definitely do that middle portion as well. Now the only issue is finding a type of leather paint that is durable to wear/tear... Paint matched seat belts would look cool too! This roll bar unfortunately doesn't have any harness attachments, so changing the seat will probably be more likely.

Next big mod will probably be upgraded coilovers and an air/oil separator so I can get the car a little more track ready. Possibly some canards but haven't found any that I've liked so far
It makes me feel like everyone has a long todo list before buying rcf..

Glad you like it. Here are some threads for your reference
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-seat-dye.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...od-or-bad.html
Most of videos and discussions are focusing on entire surface dyeing instead of partial dyeing. From those input, if you want to do it in some dye shop, I think they gonna charge you $200 ~ $500 maybe ?
All the best for your project
fchdx (06-14-22)
Old 06-13-22, 08:56 PM
IntrinoX
Instructor

Received 563 Likes on 330 Posts

Love how your roll cage matches your calipers! I don't think I can ever put one in my car as I am claustrophobic lol
fchdx (06-14-22)
Old 06-14-22, 11:42 AM
fchdx
Driver

Originally Posted by itsraysgs
Love how your roll cage matches your calipers! I don't think I can ever put one in my car as I am claustrophobic lol
Thanks Ray, at the pace you're going though you'll probably end up with one next month! just kidding

Quick Reply: 2016 Ultrasonic Blue Mica Build