Build Threads Details on Club Lexus IS-F owner vehicles

Resurrecting a 2012 Lexus ISF from the dead

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-21, 08:57 AM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
I really almost hate buying used stuff anymore for this very reason. Unless it’s a long trusted member of this forum, I pretty much have given up on used parts. I just relearned this lesson with some used seats that I bought. Being an honest person in a dishonest world gets old.
I agree - I have bought a lot of used stuff for this car on eBay, just the exhaust tips and stock air box I had to use individuals. The air box was mint and no issues, the tips really made me a bit frustrated. The guy that I bought these from seems to sell a lot of stuff on the ISF Facebook group. Goes by "Ram Chu". Would not recommend personally, but others seem to have had good luck with him.
Old 08-01-21, 10:51 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,964 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Good to have solid techs who know more than how to read a manual when fixing your car. I've seen the EZ Liner used for both good and bad, just like so many wheel alignment racks operated by techs who have no clue about wheel alignment. You'll have a fine machine when you finish this. Keep in mind the position of the subframes will impact wheel alignment, especially camber balance in the front. Don't be afraid to move them if the numbers come up weird.
Old 09-09-21, 01:34 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Its been a while. A few weeks ago I was able to get the car onto a lift and replace all of the suspension in the right front corner. I went with a mostly used parts I found on Ebay aside from a brand new coil over. The alignment is pretty close, but not perfect. The guy that did the frame work for me thinks we can shift the subframe on the rack to get it back into specs a little better. We are going to try that another day. Also, I was having a ABS/Trac code for the right front wheel speed sensor, I located that to a cut wire near that right front apron. I had to add a small section of wire, but I got that soldiered in and sealed up.

After I got the parts installed and the car aligned I was able to take the car for a drive. It was a blast and I can't wait to get it finished up!

The following users liked this post:
Yri (09-09-21)
Old 09-09-21, 02:06 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

That subframe problem wasn't unusual even for brand new cars. It's pretty challenging to get it properly centered so the front end camber is balanced and the wheelbase is the same on both sides. Way back in '06 with the first generation of 2IS, we were seeing cars from the factory that needed the subframe moved to get the car properly aligned.
Old 09-11-21, 03:00 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
That subframe problem wasn't unusual even for brand new cars. It's pretty challenging to get it properly centered so the front end camber is balanced and the wheelbase is the same on both sides. Way back in '06 with the first generation of 2IS, we were seeing cars from the factory that needed the subframe moved to get the car properly aligned.
Interesting - When I was a tech I never really saw this issue with the 2IS, definitely with the 07+ LS460's though. If you watch my video I tried my hardest to get this this to move but it would not budge. My dude from our collision center is going to try to help me shift it at a later date with something that can give it some more persuasion. If not I will get some figs offset bushings to get it where it needs to be.
Old 09-11-21, 03:12 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

I would say I have just about all of my parts needed for the car. I ordered all new body parts through my work (front and rear bumpers, hood, right fender, door, fender lines, engine shield, etc). I removed the old door and installed the new fender, hood, and door, then got the left front fender that was out of alignment readjusted. The big question mark was if the fender was going to line up and if the right front apron was salvageable. I was about to get it to a point where it is acceptable to me. Also, I got the upper brace spot welds drilled out and replaced. The car is coming right along!

Old 09-11-21, 03:21 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Just some more pictures. The new bracket that goes across the top of the headlight is just mocked up and needs to be painted/spot welded in, but its nice to see it in there. I fitted up the headlight too to see how it would fit up and I am liking how everything is lining up!

Old 09-11-21, 03:24 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Heres a YouTube link if you want to watch the body panel fittings.

Old 09-11-21, 03:36 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

One more update - I removed the brake calipers to get them powder coated. The factory caliper coating is pretty rough looking and the clear coat is bubbling up. I struggled with redoing them black, going light silver/off white, or something a bit different. One of my friends suggested purple and my first reaction was no way. After looking around a bit I came across Prismatic Powders Lollypop Purple. I think with the dark gray of the car and the dark colored wheels that this color is going to look pretty good. Worst case if it doesn't I will get them redone again, but I am pretty excited to see how they turn out. The guy that is doing the coating is cutting me a break on pricing if I were to pull the pistons and seals out myself. I didn't see that as a big deal so I pulled them apart and dropped them off for him this weekend. At this point with the build I am waiting to get the calipers back from getting coated, get them put back together, and off to paint the car goes.

Old 09-11-21, 05:22 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Any thoughts on why the factory manual says to never take the pistons out? I've taken them out myself too, but for the life of me I can't understand why they published that warning in the manual.

Car is coming along beautifully! It'll be just like new when you're done. Great to see a well done restoration. So many are not!
Old 09-11-21, 06:29 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Any thoughts on why the factory manual says to never take the pistons out? I've taken them out myself too, but for the life of me I can't understand why they published that warning in the manual.

Car is coming along beautifully! It'll be just like new when you're done. Great to see a well done restoration. So many are not!
Interesting on the pistons - I had not come across that. There was a rebuild kit available from our parts department so I just dove in. Maybe is a liability thing and they don't want techs rebuilding them and causing issues? Lexus is weird about that stuff. I remember back in the day when the 2IS started having carbon issues on the 250 motors they sent out guys to our dealership to go over how they wanted us to disassemble and reassemble the short blocks when doing the piston rings. Before that we never rebuilt bottom ends, just replaced them. That's the only thing I can think of, the didn't seem any different than any other caliper.

Thanks for the comments!
Old 09-11-21, 06:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Got a part number for the rebuild kit? I'd be totally down for a couple of those!

All I've seen in the past is the dust boot. Never the piston seals.
Old 09-11-21, 07:31 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Got a part number for the rebuild kit? I'd be totally down for a couple of those!

All I've seen in the past is the dust boot. Never the piston seals.
I saw on the ISF Facebook group someone posted these numbers. I haven’t gotten the seal kit yet, but I believe you can also source them from brembo. I know people have done the rebuilds before.

04478-0W010 - Front
04479-0W010 - Rear

The following 4 users liked this post by onepointon:
ChpEng (09-13-21), forget2pee (11-22-21), Joe Z (09-13-21), lobuxracer (09-11-21)
Old 09-11-21, 07:52 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Totally awesome! Thanks, this will make the whole restoration process much better!

Old 09-12-21, 04:53 AM
onepointon
Intermediate

Later on last night I pulled the trim off the car in preparation of getting it painted. The right rear door is going to get blended so I pulled the door handle and exterior window trim off of it. I also pulled all of the fender liners, left side skirt, and the rear end apart. The spoiler has the normal fade on it and I want them to respray it. The previous owner had some things attached to the license plate area and they were pulled off with what looks like a screw driver and it completely tore the paint out of that area. I was just going to buy a new panel because they come painted, but the damn thing is $900+. Going to see if my guys can get that resprayed as well. Hopefully the old double sided tape will come off with an eraser wheel. I am running out of space in my garage, ready to start putting stuff back on!

The following users liked this post:
minator (09-12-21)

Quick Reply: Resurrecting a 2012 Lexus ISF from the dead